Author Topic: West Winnipeg - 2015 / Ty & Beatrix  (Read 32750 times)

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Re: West Winnipeg - 2015 / August
« Reply #204 on: August 07, 2015, 04:50 »
She is a real beauty. Thanks for sharing, TPC! Let's hope for a complete recovery.

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
« Reply #203 on: August 06, 2015, 22:55 »
Wildlife Haven posted a note on their Facebook page if you want to check it out (www.wildlifehaven.ca) - this was the photo they posted of Tiggy today

She is responding well to treatment and they are about to start her on solid foods again and hopefully we will be able to return her to her parents very soon.

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #202 on: August 06, 2015, 16:33 »
Poor Tiggy. :(

Thank you for posting as much as you know regarding her condition, TPC. I'll continue to hope her treatment will have a good outcome, of course.

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #201 on: August 05, 2015, 23:14 »
Wow! Very interesting read, TPC. I've never heard of "sour crop" before. Sure do hope Tiggy recovers from the bacterial infection resulting from the condition.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #200 on: August 05, 2015, 18:17 »
Had a report on Tiggy and it sounds like she is responding to treatment for a sour crop.

Don't know specifically how they have been treating Tiggy but this I think is the usual process.  Sour crop in raptors is considered an emergency medical condition.  Sour crop occurs when food is retained in the crop and starts to decompose which causes bacteria to rapidly proliferate which if not treated promptly can lead to septicemia and death.  Treatment involves removing the food (carefully), then the bacterial load needs to be decreased and then the birds needs to observed for a few days to ensure it doesn't happen again or that the sour crop was caused by some other cause.

I don't know how bad Tiggy's condition was when she was brought in or how she got sour crop, though over feeding apparently can be a cause which makes me wonder if she told a little trip and then came back and ate too much too fast and it was more than she could handle.  And those worried about her being dehydrated, remember the peregrines get most/all of the "water" from the food they eat and if she has problem with eating that could be the reason.  But that is just guess - until her carers have more time to chat with me I won't know all the details. And we may never know all the answers but so long as she recovers that is fine.

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #199 on: August 05, 2015, 13:35 »

Thank you for keeping track of these falcons with your beautiful photos Dupre!

I very much appreciate all of your updates. :)

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #198 on: August 05, 2015, 04:45 »
Thanks TPC! Thanks dupre!

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #197 on: August 04, 2015, 23:37 »
I hope Tiggy makes a successful & speedy recovery.

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #196 on: August 04, 2015, 13:10 »

Thank you for the further update TPC.

I'm assuming Tiggy was noticed on or near the ground by someone in the area (at least until and if I hear otherwise), and would like to send thanks to whoever reported her condition or managed to pick her up. Hopefully he, she or they might read this forum.

I'm very concerned about her dehydration and weakness, and will continue to hope for a good outcome.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #195 on: August 04, 2015, 12:37 »
Sorry to hear about Tiggy. Hope she makes a quick recovery.

Yesterday, we went for an early afternoon drive and spotted one of the chicks on the Diner, about 2 p.m.

Thanks for this Dupre - will let the vet know - no way to know if it was Tiggy or Tuppence but it does say they are still hanging around the nestsite and their parents.

Offline dupre501

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #194 on: August 04, 2015, 12:34 »
Sorry to hear about Tiggy. Hope she makes a quick recovery.

Yesterday, we went for an early afternoon drive and spotted one of the chicks on the Diner, about 2 p.m.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #193 on: August 04, 2015, 09:00 »
Got the message last night so don't have any details yet - just that she was picked up dehydrated and weak and that it didn't look like she had any fractures or dislocations.  She's been flying for a couple of weeks so she has a firm grasp of the basics and from what I have seen she's good at what she does.  No mention of potential collisions either.  Of more concern is why she is dehydrated - she was found within the WW territory - not far from the nestsite in fact and her parents are still around, are experienced and she isn't old enough that they would be expecting her to feed herself - so why the dehydration ... they have a suspicion, but she will need to be seen by a vet to confirm.

Saw a photo of her and she looks fine - annoyed and alert and on her feet which is a good sign.

More news as I get it - photos too so long as I get the photographer's permission.

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #192 on: August 04, 2015, 04:03 »
Thanks for your post about Tiggy. Thankfully she is getting the care she needs. I too am interested in knowing what happened. Our winds over the past week have been strong and consistent.???

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #191 on: August 04, 2015, 03:54 »

Thank you for the update TPC. I'm very sorry to hear about Tiggy and hope she recovers quickly while in care.

I would also like to know how her rescue came about.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #190 on: August 03, 2015, 18:58 »
Update

Unfortunately, Tiggy was rescued today and is in care.  She's dehydrated but they don't believe she has any fractures or dislocations.  She's being treated and hopefully it is just a bit of a digestive upset and she'll respond quickly and well.

Will let you all know when I have more information.