Author Topic: Tower Nest - 2014 / ? & ?  (Read 13466 times)

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Re: Tower Nest - 2014 / ? & ?
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2014, 13:30 »
... it would be nice to have a second nest in Brandon even given the problems we've had recently at McKenzie Seeds.
I'm not sure I know what you mean by this, TPC. Have there been problems recently at the McKenzie Seeds nest site? ???

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2014, 12:40 »
Here's hoping!  :)

Offline RCF

• Old Bird
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2014, 11:31 »
From yesterday

The birdie looks like it has egg butt or heavy in the derriere, like when they are getting ready to lay eggs.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2014, 10:28 »
We were hoping to check out the Tower site on Friday during our Brandon trip but no go of course.  However, the folks out at the site think that perhaps the pair (who we haven't identified yet) are perhaps considering one of the abandoned crow/raven nests for a nesting attempt.  Don't know if both/either bird is actually old enough to nest but we might as well assume they are until we get proof they aren't.  RCF is also keeping an eye on the site, but it's big site so tough to ID the birds at the best of times even with all the hi-tech toys!  So long as the birds are around, we will keep trying, it would be nice to have a second nest in Brandon even given the problems we've had recently at McKenzie Seeds.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2014, 09:30 »
Those are two very nice looking birds - the one by the lights in your last post has a fuller black cap, makes me wonder if it mightn't be a Manitoba bird ... or maybe it is just wishful thinking ...

Offline RCF

• Old Bird
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2014, 19:23 »
Very windy here today, both birds were perched on the east side of the stacks out of the wind.

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2014, 09:14 »
Great updates, RCF! Wonder who they could be? ???

Offline dupre501

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2014, 12:19 »
Nice!

Thanks for the update.

Offline RCF

• Old Bird
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2014, 20:51 »
There are still two falcons here so that's good news!  The one falcon who I think was the male just sat up on the south stack and never left, it had very full crop.

The female was all over the place, on the catwalk, on one of the adjacent buildings and then landed up on the top catwalk of the north stack.

Offline RCF

• Old Bird
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2014, 19:54 »
The first time I saw a falcon out here was April 13 and then again on the 17th.  I couldn't be certain but it looked like the bird had a red or black/red band and then it could have been a purple anodized band on it's right leg.  Need Dennis's Wowser!!!   

On April 26th there were two here.  The female looks to have a silver band on her left leg and black on the right.  She seemed to hang out on the lower catwalk where the old Raven's nest is and I believe it is the same spot where Alice and Zeus nested in 2011.  I wonder who she is because it is definitely not Lily from last year....no transmitter and she had a red band.    

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
Tower Nest - 2014 / ? & ?
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2014, 22:33 »
RCF had been taking keeping an eye on this site while the Forum has been down, and I'm sure she will post her observations as soon as she has some time.