Author Topic: Tower Nest - 2014 / ? & ?  (Read 12541 times)

Offline susha

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Re: Tower Nest - 2014 / ? & ?
« Reply #41 on: October 01, 2014, 12:52 »
Maybe we'll have a nest there next year.  thanks for keeping us up to speed on the Tower, RCF.

Offline RCF

• Old Bird
« Reply #40 on: September 30, 2014, 17:32 »
I think the peregrine that was here has migrated.  I haven't seen one since Sept 17th.

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #39 on: September 18, 2014, 17:56 »
It is always nice to see them. thanks RCF

hope you have cam next year. :-*

Offline RCF

• Old Bird
« Reply #38 on: September 17, 2014, 19:25 »
I checked out here today and there is still a peregrine hanging around.  :)

Offline RCF

• Old Bird
« Reply #37 on: September 07, 2014, 16:48 »
We checked out here today and there is still one peregrine hanging out on one of the stacks.  :)

Offline RCF

• Old Bird
« Reply #36 on: August 24, 2014, 11:40 »

I’ve been wondering if anyone is still around (suppose she is laying claim to this location).

Thank you for the update RCF. :)

Checked out here yesterday.  One peregrine was perched on the catwalk railing on the south stack and looked to have a full crop. There are lots of gulls out in this area so I'm thinking that may have been it's lunch.  ;D

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #35 on: August 04, 2014, 19:25 »

I’ve been wondering if anyone is still around (suppose she is laying claim to this location).

Thank you for the update RCF. :)

Offline dupre501

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #34 on: August 04, 2014, 16:16 »
Keeping our fingers crossed!

Thanks RCF for keeping us updated on all the Brandon birds :D

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
« Reply #33 on: August 04, 2014, 10:51 »
I have only been out here a few times lately because of the flooding. Today there was one falcon perched on the south stack and it had a very full crop. It looks like the same birdie I have been seeing all season.

Been there all season is a hopeful sign for next season ... now if we could just get another bird (one who's old enough to understand what goes where and why) to hang around with him/her next year!!

Had a look back at the photos you posted RCF - the bird seems large enough to be a female ... what's your assessment?  A female sticking to this location might be even more hopeful ....

We seem to think it's female and it was a lot easier to tell when there were two of them out here, so I just don't know.   :-\

First estimations are more often right, so we'll go with it is a female until something alerts us to the contrary ... it looked like a female to me sitting there on the rail so I think you are right!

Offline RCF

• Old Bird
« Reply #32 on: August 04, 2014, 10:25 »
I have only been out here a few times lately because of the flooding. Today there was one falcon perched on the south stack and it had a very full crop. It looks like the same birdie I have been seeing all season.

Been there all season is a hopeful sign for next season ... now if we could just get another bird (one who's old enough to understand what goes where and why) to hang around with him/her next year!!

Had a look back at the photos you posted RCF - the bird seems large enough to be a female ... what's your assessment?  A female sticking to this location might be even more hopeful ....

We seem to think it's female and it was a lot easier to tell when there were two of them out here, so I just don't know.   :-\

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #31 on: August 04, 2014, 09:18 »
...Today there was one falcon perched on the south stack and it had a very full crop. It looks like the same birdie I have been seeing all season.

That is good news! :D

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #30 on: August 03, 2014, 23:20 »

Offline RCF

• Old Bird
« Reply #29 on: August 03, 2014, 17:32 »

Offline RCF

• Old Bird
« Reply #28 on: June 15, 2014, 17:46 »
Still only seeing the one falcon out here. We didn't see one for four days but saw one Friday and again today. The one we saw today was on the lower catwalk on the south stack doing a bit of preening and napping.

Offline RCF

• Old Bird
« Reply #27 on: June 09, 2014, 17:05 »
Yes, it's always good to have some fun.  ;D   I checked out here today and saw no birdies.

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #26 on: June 09, 2014, 14:59 »
Sorry, I was just being silly.  :-X  :)   Plus I have nothing new to report out here.

Thought you had some news and just wanted to tease us a bit.
Oh well, it was good to have some fun!!

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #25 on: June 09, 2014, 09:50 »
Sorry, I was just being silly.  :-X  :)   Plus I have nothing new to report out here. Tracy may have more recent information and will post it here.   ???

No, nothing yet I'm afraid - but will post when I have something.

Offline RCF

• Old Bird
« Reply #24 on: June 09, 2014, 07:40 »
Sorry, I was just being silly.  :-X  :)   Plus I have nothing new to report out here. Tracy may have more recent information and will post it here.   ???

Offline bcbird

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2014, 23:32 »

So far, just you me and allikat.  ;D

I'm here, too!  and who else?  Do you have an ID, RCF? 
Not meaning to be inpatient, sorry, but looking forward to knowing "who's there"
« Last Edit: June 08, 2014, 23:34 by bcbird »

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2014, 23:10 »
Well then I’ll be patient, not expecting an answer anytime soon…

Perhaps I should begin guessing!  ok, my first guess - could it be Lily?

RCF would have spotted her transmitter antennae by now and likely her red band, so unlikely.

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2014, 22:41 »
Well then I’ll be patient, not expecting an answer anytime soon…

Perhaps I should begin guessing!  ok, my first guess - could it be Lily?

Offline RCF

• Old Bird
« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2014, 22:01 »
So far, just you me and allikat.  ;D

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2014, 21:32 »
Please RCF,
I'm on the edge of my seat ;D
Tell us! Tell us! Who is there? :-*

Online allikat

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2014, 21:18 »
Knock Knock!
Who's there???

Offline RCF

• Old Bird
« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2014, 21:15 »
Knock Knock!

Offline RCF

• Old Bird
« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2014, 20:14 »
I have only been seeing one falcon out here for the past three weeks. The falcon I am seeing looks to have the same markings each time I come out here as in the same rounded bib and it is also broad across the breast.  I thought they may have been nesting and that would be the reason why I have only been seeing one every time I go.  So because of this I think there is just the one falcon here and not two. I hope I am wrong.   :-\

Offline RCF

• Old Bird
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2014, 21:12 »
I checked out here also, saw one falcon.

Offline RCF

• Old Bird
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2014, 17:45 »
I have only been seeing one falcon out here for at least two weeks.  I don't know if there are two birds and they are nesting and that would be why I am only seeing the one.   :-\   The one I saw today was preening pretty much the whole time I was there.  I could see from the photos I took that it has a solid dark band on it's right leg, so it's probably a Canadian bird.  :)

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2014, 16:22 »
... it would be nice to have a second nest in Brandon even given the problems we've had recently at McKenzie Seeds.
I'm not sure I know what you mean by this, TPC. Have there been problems recently at the McKenzie Seeds nest site? ???

I think she is just talking about the internet connection KC.  ;)

Yup, I meant our recent internet connection problems at McKenzie Seeds ... sorry for the confusion ...

Offline RCF

• Old Bird
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2014, 14:04 »
... it would be nice to have a second nest in Brandon even given the problems we've had recently at McKenzie Seeds.
I'm not sure I know what you mean by this, TPC. Have there been problems recently at the McKenzie Seeds nest site? ???

I think she is just talking about the internet connection KC.  ;)

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2014, 13:30 »

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2014, 12:40 »
Here's hoping!  :)

Offline RCF

• Old Bird
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2014, 11:31 »
From yesterday

The birdie looks like it has egg butt or heavy in the derriere, like when they are getting ready to lay eggs.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2014, 10:28 »
We were hoping to check out the Tower site on Friday during our Brandon trip but no go of course.  However, the folks out at the site think that perhaps the pair (who we haven't identified yet) are perhaps considering one of the abandoned crow/raven nests for a nesting attempt.  Don't know if both/either bird is actually old enough to nest but we might as well assume they are until we get proof they aren't.  RCF is also keeping an eye on the site, but it's big site so tough to ID the birds at the best of times even with all the hi-tech toys!  So long as the birds are around, we will keep trying, it would be nice to have a second nest in Brandon even given the problems we've had recently at McKenzie Seeds.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2014, 09:30 »
Those are two very nice looking birds - the one by the lights in your last post has a fuller black cap, makes me wonder if it mightn't be a Manitoba bird ... or maybe it is just wishful thinking ...

Offline RCF

• Old Bird
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2014, 19:23 »
Very windy here today, both birds were perched on the east side of the stacks out of the wind.

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2014, 09:14 »
Great updates, RCF! Wonder who they could be? ???

Offline dupre501

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2014, 12:19 »
Nice!

Thanks for the update.

Offline RCF

• Old Bird
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2014, 20:51 »
There are still two falcons here so that's good news!  The one falcon who I think was the male just sat up on the south stack and never left, it had very full crop.

The female was all over the place, on the catwalk, on one of the adjacent buildings and then landed up on the top catwalk of the north stack.

Offline RCF

• Old Bird
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2014, 19:54 »
The first time I saw a falcon out here was April 13 and then again on the 17th.  I couldn't be certain but it looked like the bird had a red or black/red band and then it could have been a purple anodized band on it's right leg.  Need Dennis's Wowser!!!   

On April 26th there were two here.  The female looks to have a silver band on her left leg and black on the right.  She seemed to hang out on the lower catwalk where the old Raven's nest is and I believe it is the same spot where Alice and Zeus nested in 2011.  I wonder who she is because it is definitely not Lily from last year....no transmitter and she had a red band.    

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
Tower Nest - 2014 / ? & ?
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2014, 22:33 »
RCF had been taking keeping an eye on this site while the Forum has been down, and I'm sure she will post her observations as soon as she has some time.