Author Topic: Radisson - 2014 / Smiley & Princess  (Read 79860 times)

Offline bcbird

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Re: Radisson - 2014 / Smiley & Princess
« Reply #66 on: May 09, 2014, 22:36 »
Wow, what great photos!  Thank you for posting them, F2F.
This is the first peregrine pellet I've seen for certain.

Offline RCF

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #65 on: May 09, 2014, 18:34 »
Peregrine back this afternoon - napping in the same spot as last night. It is an unbanded bird.  Bigger than I recall that Smiley was last year.  Has a distinctive grey patch of feathers on her left breast.  I will try to post a link to a photo album.  I am always terrible at this but I will give it a go.

Love your photos Feather2Fin!  The mark on her left breast looks like an old blood stain to me, maybe she was in a scuffle with another bird.  :-\ 

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #64 on: May 09, 2014, 17:52 »
Yes - the talons on that gal were indeed something to fear! :o And I, too, thought I saw a pellet on the ledge in one of the photos. Wonderful photos, for sure! What an extraordinary experience for you, F2F, to have a PF visit you like that! 8)

Offline moka

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #63 on: May 09, 2014, 16:55 »
feather2fin. What great photos and thank you very much for sharing them with us.

I agree, on those pictures you can see just how large those talons are. I think I saw a pellet near her feet on one picture.

Offline soaring west

• Chick
« Reply #62 on: May 09, 2014, 16:30 »
feather2fin. What great photos and thank you very much for sharing them with us.

Offline Pam

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #61 on: May 09, 2014, 13:13 »
Great photo, f2f!

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
« Reply #60 on: May 09, 2014, 13:08 »
TPC you mention that you can tell she is a female by her feet.  Can you elaborate?  

Female peregrines are larger than male - that includes their feet.  Males feet are big but more gracile than the feet of females.  Females feet make you think twice about getting in their way.  Your peregrine's feet were definitely in the latter category.

Offline Shocka88

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #59 on: May 09, 2014, 13:08 »
Great photos F2F........thanks for posting.

Offline Doreen

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #58 on: May 09, 2014, 12:28 »
Wonderful pictures Feather2Fin. Lucky you indeed.  ;D

Offline Feather2Fin

• Falcon Fan
  • Hatchling
« Reply #57 on: May 09, 2014, 11:02 »
The visiting peregrine left this morning at 6:30 am. 

TPC - I am quite certain that you are correct that she is passing through on her migration.  She looked plum tuckered out and dozed and preened pretty much her entire 36 hr. visit.  We are on the south side of the building on the 25th floor so it makes sense that if she was coming from the south heading north, our ledge is a fine resting point on her route. 

TPC you mention that you can tell she is a female by her feet.  Can you elaborate?

Offline irenekl

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #56 on: May 09, 2014, 09:54 »
Feather2Fin those are quite wonderful photo opportunities you are having!!  How many floors up is this?

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
« Reply #55 on: May 08, 2014, 23:06 »
Peregrine back this afternoon - napping in the same spot as last night. It is an unbanded bird.  Bigger than I recall that Smiley was last year.  Has a distinctive grey patch of feathers on her left breast.  I will try to post a link to a photo album.  I am always terrible at this but I will give it a go.

The link to your photo gallery works very well F2F - and looking at that bird's feet, it is a female.  There are a whole whack of tundrius birds on migration right now so the bird might hang out or might be gone one morning.  To my eye, that is a mature female, no reason she shouldn't be on a nest somewhere so she may not stay long.

Very nice photo - very glad you posted it!

For those who know who Island Girl is, she is on the move - reached Panama yesterday afternoon.  She was pretty much in the same location this time last year.  Based on previous year's she'll be on Baffin Island when the Radisson & McKenzie Seeds chick hatch.  Three out of the last five years she has reached Baffin on June 4, last year it was June 3rd and in 2010 she got there early on June 1st.  Looking at Hawk Count, 25 peregrines were recorded in Michigan alone in the last 7 days - 9 were reported at one location yesterday, we haven't seen that anywhere all season.

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #54 on: May 08, 2014, 22:50 »
Peregrine back this afternoon - napping in the same spot as last night. It is an unbanded bird.  Bigger than I recall that Smiley was last year.  Has a distinctive grey patch of feathers on her left breast.  I will try to post a link to a photo album.  I am always terrible at this but I will give it a go.

WOW! Went to your photo album, F2F - those are awesome photos! 8) Interesting, that close-up of the very distinctive patch of grey feathers on left breast. TPC or Dennis may be able to ID the bird from your amazing photos, although no ID bands.

Offline moka

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #53 on: May 08, 2014, 21:02 »
Thank you for the photo. It's amazing that you get this view from your window.
Lucky you!

Offline Feather2Fin

• Falcon Fan
  • Hatchling
« Reply #52 on: May 08, 2014, 17:51 »