Author Topic: Radisson - 2014 / Smiley & Princess  (Read 79924 times)

Offline Feather2Fin

• Falcon Fan
  • Hatchling
Re: Radisson - 2014 / Smiley & Princess
« Reply #81 on: May 16, 2014, 15:12 »
I too can't wait for the cameras to go live.

The lone unbanded female is still hanging around the building. She took off when I went to grab my camera yesterday. 

A couple people have commented on the "pellets".  There is a huge second pellet from the most recent visit.  The first one looked like she had horked (is that even a word?) up a dehydrated mousey, bird alien.  Is this falcon poop?  I am used to seeing the whitewashing of walls so I wasn't sure which end this came out of.
 :P

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #80 on: May 16, 2014, 14:47 »
Was in the downtown area this morning for an appt. On my way home, around 11:00 AM, , I was fortunate to see 2 PF heads poking out of the nest box. While I was waiting at a red light, 1 of the birds flew off. They must have been doing a shift change.  8)

Offline Jo

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #79 on: May 15, 2014, 18:34 »
Wonderful pic F2F.

Looking forward to the Falcon Cam and seeing how Princess and her new fella parent the chicks.

How big is Smiley? Wasn't Ivy the one who had a challenge getting all the eggs under him (or was that just inexperience)

Offline moka

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #78 on: May 15, 2014, 16:48 »
All quiet in the nestbox, Princess seems quieter this year, perhaps it's that she's more relaxed with Smiley?  No idea, she just seems, at least right now in the middle of incubation, less agitated, less control-freak, less diva-like.  Maybe she will morph back into Scary Princess as it gets closer to hatch, we'll have to wait and see ...

;D love the morph back to Scary Princess, TPC ;D

Offline dupre501

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #77 on: May 14, 2014, 12:21 »
I'm sure that being IN the nestbox this year is making a big difference.

With more peregrines in town and passing through, demands on territory would be increasing. Last year they were on the ledge and fighting to keep others out of the nestbox. They would have needed to be very scary last year.

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
« Reply #76 on: May 14, 2014, 10:41 »
All quiet in the nestbox, Princess seems quieter this year, perhaps it's that she's more relaxed with Smiley?  No idea, she just seems, at least right now in the middle of incubation, less agitated, less control-freak, less diva-like.  Maybe she will morph back into Scary Princess as it gets closer to hatch, we'll have to wait and see ...

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #75 on: May 13, 2014, 11:56 »
interestingly Smiley comes to visit Princess when she's on the eggs.  She barks at him and he hangs out on the box edge nonetheless.  On the other side of things, when he's had enough OR if he hears her when we can't, then he hops off the eggs and sits on the box edge until she turns up or leaves and she comes bolting in a minute or two later.  And they both seem to feel protected enough so sleep pretty deeply by all appearances.  Hopefully he's a more relaxing presence, last thing our "grand dame" needs is more a hyperactive youngster for a mate.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #74 on: May 12, 2014, 21:09 »
So very glad the eggs are in a protected place this year!  It was so awful to watch Princess in that horrible rain last year.  Although I will never forget it, her determination to protect those eggs was one of the most incredible things I have ever seen.

I agree, it is nice to watch her sound asleep with her head in the gravel in the nestbox ... she's been a bit fussy arranging the eggs when she takes over incubation, might be a function of a shallower nestscrape (don't know for sure, just a thought) but once she's on, she seems to settle nicely.

Offline birdbrain

• Falcon Fan
  • Hatchling
« Reply #73 on: May 12, 2014, 19:48 »
So very glad the eggs are in a protected place this year!  It was so awful to watch Princess in that horrible rain last year.  Although I will never forget it, her determination to protect those eggs was one of the most incredible things I have ever seen.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #72 on: May 12, 2014, 11:58 »
1150h - Princess is dozing on the eggs out of the rain in the nestbox; she was a bit fussy earlier, took her about 90 minutes to get the eggs the way she wanted them.  Smiley looks to be doing a decent job incubating, guess the proof will be when we have chicks hatching.  Then he'll have to prove he can keep his growing family fed - bringing home the food & technically feeding chicks.  But any male after Pop, T-Rex, Trey and Ivy was going to have to work hard to prove himself!

Offline moka

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #71 on: May 11, 2014, 12:07 »
Thank you TPC for your responses to the questions from F2F. And thank you F2F for your questions that allows us to gain additional information about our beloved PF's.

Having followed the forum, since the beginning, I think; it always amazes me at all the new information that I receive every season. Some things I probably forgot but mostly, it is interesting details to add to the peregrine story. There is so much more to learn.

Thanks again!

Offline Feather2Fin

• Falcon Fan
  • Hatchling
« Reply #70 on: May 11, 2014, 10:02 »
Thanks TPC for your detailed response. Your response was very interesting. I haven't seen her since she left at 11:20 the other night but I have heard a peregrine in the area.

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #69 on: May 10, 2014, 15:51 »
Thank you TPC for your responses to the questions from F2F. And thank you F2F for your questions that allows us to gain additional information about our beloved PF's.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #68 on: May 10, 2014, 09:05 »
Well when the visiting peregrine left today I thought she was headed north and I would never see her again.  I am astonished. She was back on the edge of the ledge tonight. Probably arrived about 10:30 or 11:00 but left again at 11:20 pm.  Maybe she wants to settle in Winnipeg but all of the males are taken, or not to her fancy.

If she is going to stay in Winnipeg maybe we should name her.  Hmm maybe something to do with her greyish green feathers on her left chest.  BTW-I don't think it was dried blood.

Do peregrines hunt at night too?

We've had birds hang out for a couple of hours, couple of days, couple of months, then take off.  Alice stayed for a whole summer then a couple of months the next spring before heading off with Zeus to Brandon.  We had seven unbanded peregrines on a building one year who were gone 6 hours later.  The tundra birds are moving and should be on their nesting grounds in early June, if you girl hangs out until then, the chance that she will hang out for the rest of the summer is pretty good.

Urban peregrines do apparently if there is enough light to do so safely - remember they fly at high speeds.  Some of the birds they like to eat are active after sunset but not over the night so might have been that.  Or she could have been checking out where to roost, mostly they like to roost out of the wind so she might have been checking out her choices or she could just have been taking a last constitutional.

As for naming her, without bands hard to know for sure if it is the same bird if she disappears for a few weeks or months.  The green on her breast won't stay, it could very well be blood or something else but it will wear off as she preens and/or when she moults as the year goes by.  Thing to do is get as many photos as you can without distressing her - head shots so you can see the pattern on her head which will look different depending on how she sits, stands, stretches, etc, but sometimes you can spot a unique feature - like Brooklyn's very white breast and Princess' crown of light coloured feathers on her head.  See if you can spot something like this - something that will survive her annual feather moult - and then, if she stays, that's when to consider what her personality is telling you should be her name.  T-Rex got his name because of his hyper-protective personality, Hurricane because she hatched in a year with a ton of tornadoes in the province during the nesting season and Ty because he and his siblings were giving me headaches - they hatched on the Radisson nest ledge.

Offline Feather2Fin

• Falcon Fan
  • Hatchling
« Reply #67 on: May 09, 2014, 23:23 »
Well when the visiting peregrine left today I thought she was headed north and I would never see her again.  I am astonished. She was back on the edge of the ledge tonight. Probably arrived about 10:30 or 11:00 but left again at 11:20 pm.  Maybe she wants to settle in Winnipeg but all of the males are taken, or not to her fancy.

If she is going to stay in Winnipeg maybe we should name her.  Hmm maybe something to do with her greyish green feathers on her left chest.  BTW-I don't think it was dried blood.

Do peregrines hunt at night too?