Author Topic: ON / Toronto - Apartment Block - 2008-14  (Read 53846 times)

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Re: ON / Toronto - Apartment Block - 2009 / Jack & Mom
« Reply #217 on: July 06, 2009, 16:39 »
Well everything is fine here, apparently the new male is suspected to be mating with the female today as per Mathew..while her juvies are still on site!! 

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #216 on: July 06, 2009, 15:50 »
I hope everything is okay, Carly. Please let us know when you can.

Offline allikat

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #215 on: July 06, 2009, 09:28 »
I know Carly.......let us know when you get a minute.

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #214 on: July 06, 2009, 08:39 »
No idea but still no sign of our male here this morning.  No sign of mom either which is unusual.  I'm going to see if I can find them on my lunch break.  I don't like this at all  :'(

Offline allikat

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #213 on: July 06, 2009, 08:30 »
Thanks for that update Carly......wonder who that intruder is??  (The one from Etobicoke?)

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #212 on: July 06, 2009, 07:57 »
Past from Mathew this morning:

Mathew's Update:
Jul 5, 2009 - Injured bird - The drama continues

You'd think things were exciting enough around here the past while, but the drama continues to unfold.

This morning a lot of noisy calls were heard, a combination of juveniles excited to eat along with alarm-calling by either one or two adults.

Two adults were witnessed eee-chupping, hidden away on the nest ledge, one departed soonafter... ?

Later this afternoon a territorial dispute was witnessed, observers reported seeing two birds go on the offensive versus a third bird. In the hours to come, animal services were in the area retrieving an injured bird, details were a bit confusing at the time.

Piecing the available information together, it appears two (assumed adult) Peregrines from our site were defending the territory against an unfortunate Red-tailed hawk. The Red-tail didn't fare very well, suffering an injury in the talon area and possibly also a wing problem considering it was retrieved from the ground. Animal services originally thought the bird they had was a Peregrine falcon but thanks to Marlene and the MNR they eventually realized it was a hawk and not a Peregrine falcon with ID bands.

Following all of this, Mom is apparently looking fine, patchy details on the rest of the gang but things seem okay and have quieted down from earlier.

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
« Reply #211 on: July 05, 2009, 16:45 »
Ooooo, birdie bigamy ... probably the only thing the Radisson peregrines haven't tried yet!!
Can't wait to hear what you find out Carly!!!

Offline allikat

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #210 on: July 03, 2009, 21:21 »
Really strange...
Please keep us posted Carly...

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #209 on: July 03, 2009, 21:03 »
Yes seriously.  Unless they used the same band sequence two times, it's the same male.  I'm going down to my site in the morning to see what is going on.  I've been off for the past 3 days...and I saw him there on Tuesday so we'll see.

Offline allikat

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #208 on: July 03, 2009, 17:50 »
 ???
Seriously??

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #207 on: July 03, 2009, 16:03 »
All day we've been trying to figure out the band numbers on the new male here and guess what ... I thought that band is familiar and I looked up my Jack's band number and it's my resident male from Etobicoke!!! 

What the heck is he trying to do!!!

Offline allikat

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #206 on: June 19, 2009, 20:37 »
Thank you Carly!  I appreciate the feedback!

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #205 on: June 19, 2009, 15:38 »
No I asked Mathew the other day and he said he hadn't heard anything but would let us know when he did.  All he knows is the male will not be returning this season due to the extent of the damage to his wing. 

Offline allikat

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #204 on: June 19, 2009, 15:19 »
Very happy to hear that Super Mom is doing well and looking after her chicks....
A canadian male?  Hmmmmmm?

Carly...is there any news at all about her injured mate?

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #203 on: June 19, 2009, 15:16 »
Update today; Super Mom feeds her chicks, prepares them for fledge and echups with a (presumed) Canadian male!  The modern urban peregrine female  ;)

This morning wing-flapping is picking up. Marla is 39 days old, Byron 38 and Casper 35. We might need to see a bit more flapping before any departures take place, but generally speaking we should now be more on guard for possible first flights.

Noon update - Feedings appear to be getting reduced, still waiting to see if lunch gets delivered. Shortly after 11AM our visitor was spotted e-chupping with Mom on the ledge above the nest. Photos were taken, will be reviewing for band ID.

2PM - no luck getting a band ID on the visitor, but one band appears to be all-black which would make this falcon a Canadian, eh?