Author Topic: PA / Harrisburg - Rachel Carson Building - 2008-21  (Read 38416 times)

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)

• Administrator
  • Old Bird

Offline susha

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
PA / Harrisburg - Rachel Carson Building - 2016 / ? & ?
« Reply #283 on: April 22, 2016, 09:43 »
2016 NESTING SEASON

Just tuned into this nestsite and the cam view is focussed for now on the three healthy chicks who are being fed by one of the parents.  Don't know who the parents are, but the one doing the feeding is banded.  First PF feeding I've seen this season and it was great fun to watch!  ;D

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
You're welcome, TPC and Susha!

There are three chicks at the moment; yesterday I noticed that the fourth chick has been having problems trying to hatch. There was a fairly large hole in the egg, but I don't have a good feeling about a possible successful hatch for this little chick.  :(

Offline susha

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Awww, yes, I remember these two from last year :)

Thanks Alison!

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
Thanks Alison!  :)

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
If anyone hears who the adults are here, please let me know and I can update the page.  Last time we knew was in 2013.

The male here continues to be the one and only Lil Dad. Lil Dad was born on the Walt Whitman Bridge in Philadelphia in 2003, and first came to Harrisburg in 2005. He is banded black/red W/V (somewhat faded now).

The resident female is Niecey. She was born in 2009 on a bridge connecting Pennsylvania and Delaware, the Delaware River Bridge. She has been at the Harrisburg nest since 2012. She is banded black/green 48/AE on the left leg, and a silver federal band on the right leg with green tape.

Her father was a brother of the original long-time resident female, known as Mom. That is the reason she was called Niecey.

She replaced the resident female, NG (for New Girl), who had become extremely ill and disappeared after raising two chicks in 2012. NG had arrived at the nest in 2010 after the loss of Lil Dad's long-time mate, the iconic falcon known as Mom.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2015, 11:37 by Alison »

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
If anyone hears who the adults are here, please let me know and I can update the page.  Last time we knew was in 2013.

Offline susha

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
PA / Harrisburg - Rachel Carson Building - 2015 / Lil Dad & Niecey
« Reply #277 on: April 25, 2015, 10:37 »
2015 NESTING SEASON

I don't have any info on this site this year, but the view of mom and chicks right now is the one we've grown to love!

http://www.pacast.com/players/falcon.asp

Offline Linder

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
News from the site:

6/3/2013  ::  Blue Banded Female Released
The blue-banded female was returned onto the roof of the Rachel Carson State Office Building after being released from the wildlife rehabilitator around 11 a.m. The female has taken a few short flights to the nearby buildings and is doing okay. She was rescued by the Falcon Watch and Rescue volunteer crew on Saturday, June 1st.

6/3/2013  ::  All falcons fledged
On the morning of Friday, May 31st, the yellow-banded male was the first fledge. After a few short flights, he landed inside a balcony on the 16th floor of the Rachel Carson State Office Building. He was later rescued and released onto the roof.  Over the weekend, the blue-banded female was rescued and taken to the Red Creek Wildlife Center because of exhaustion and dehydration. She has recovered and will be released onto the building later today.  The other falcons--white-band and red-band are making short flights around the building. DEP Environmental Education staff, interns and volunteers are coordinating the Falcon Watch and Rescue Program.

Offline RCF

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird

Offline MayShowers

• Phanatic
  • Chick
From the BCAW site "White, Red, Blue are all Females, Yellow is the Male"

Offline MayShowers

• Phanatic
  • Chick
Question and answer going on live on camera now.  I believe banding is supposed to happen at 1:00 (Grrr, forgot about time differences and missed this banding as well :-\)  I think 3 females and 1 male here.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2013, 13:18 by MayShowers »

Offline susha

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Chick are giants now and there's lots of activity in the yard, which is mucho messy like the house :P

Offline Cooper

• Phanatic
  • Chick
Wow, these little ones aren't so little anymore are they! What big yellow feet! And not one of them with any housekeeping abilities apparently. :)