Author Topic: PA / Harrisburg - Rachel Carson Building - 2008-21  (Read 40861 times)

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
I agree that Mariah is a wonderful mom, but (and you knew there would be one) the success of a bird isn't the number produced but rather if his/her kids have kids.  So the question is, how are Mariah's offspring doing on territories elsewhere?  I haven't seen anything on her family tree, but I admit that I haven't been looking for it either.  Has anyone seen any information on any grandkids for Mariah?  ???

I have some information on Mariah's grandkids. Mariah and Kaver's son Freedom from their first year together, 2002, was found in Port Colborne, Ontario in 2005, with a mate, Purity. They had two chicks that year, Millie and Ellie. In 2007 Millie found a mate of her own, Swifty, four years old, a son of Freedom and Roosevelt in Fort Wayne. They had two chicks, Ted and Lucas. Both chicks fell out of the nest at one point, seventy feet above the ground, but both survived with fairly minor injuries. They were returned to the nest after a day or so in rehab.

Last year Freedom's mate Purity did not return, and he found a new mate, Millie. She was only one year old. They had three eggs; a disturbance by an intruder caused Millie to eat one of the eggs. One egg hatched, and the chick was named Gunner. He was doing extremely well after fledging until he apparently collided with something later in the summer and was found severely injured. Sadly, he had to be euthanized. This year Freedom and Millie are still together, and have been observed mating.

Mariah's daughter Ranger (with her earlier mate Cabot-Sirocco; born 2001) is in Toronto; as far as I know she is still with her mate Hunter. Last year their clutch of three eggs disappeared; they laid a second clutch, but the eggs did not hatch.

Mariah and Kaver's daughter Rhea Mae is at the Sheraton in Toronto with her mate Tiago, son of Windwhistler, for the second year. So far, they have two eggs. Last year, they had four chicks; one died after a couple of days, while the other three fledged successfully.

Ihteram, born in 2005,  was found last year attempting to nest at a church in Detroit. I have not seen any recent updates on her.

Last year's juvies: Quest is in Cape Cod, and Zephyr is at the Psych Center in Rochester with a female.

There may be more, but those are the ones I'm aware of.

Offline birdcamfan

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Wow! I recall even three or four seeming like an endlessly hungry group to feed. It must be a very difficult task to keep up with.

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
I agree that Mariah is a wonderful mom, but (and you knew there would be one) the success of a bird isn't the number produced but rather if his/her kids have kids.  So the question is, how are Mariah's offspring doing on territories elsewhere?  I haven't seen anything on her family tree, but I admit that I haven't been looking for it either.  Has anyone seen any information on any grandkids for Mariah?  ???

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
I am not sure what the "record" is.  I do recall that Mariah from Rochester laid 6 eggs in 2006 and 5 hatched.  What an incredible falcon she is.

Mariah certainly is incredible! In 2003, 2004, 2005 and 2008 she had five eggs and all of them hatched. All the chicks fledged.

In 2006, she did lay six eggs; that was the year she was seriously injured and unable to use one leg. Only three of the chicks survived. Kaver did a wonderful job of helping as much as he could.

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Does anyone know what the record number of eggs for a peregrine is?

I'm not absolutely sure what the record is. Last year at the Alliant Plant in Pardeeville, Wisconsin, the female laid seven eggs and six hatched. Six chicks were banded.

Offline maggieblue

• Past Member
  • Fledgling
Mom must be taking a break.  I just saw 5 beautiful eggs in the sunshine.  ;D

Here is the link just in case you don't have it:  http://www.dep.state.pa.us/dep/falcon/

Offline dodobird

• Phanatic
  • Chick
Thanks tracy, have been wondering how our pair and their brood made out.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
I'm not sure I heard last year a Falcon laid 6 eggs. Beyond that I am not sure.

In Saskatoon, Donna, a female from Brandon laid six eggs.  Never did hear how she did, will see if I can find out and will post on the Saskatoon Board.

Offline maggieblue

• Past Member
  • Fledgling
I am not sure what the "record" is.  I do recall that Mariah from Rochester laid 6 eggs in 2006 and 5 hatched.  What an incredible falcon she is.

Offline eagle63_1999

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
    • My Photography
I'm not sure I heard last year a Falcon laid 6 eggs. Beyond that I am not sure.

Offline birdcamfan

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Does anyone know what the record number of eggs for a peregrine is?

Offline eagle63_1999

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
    • My Photography
For sure, but man way to go!!!!!

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
That will be her done!!  ;D

Offline allikat

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
HOLY.....FIVE? ???  You go girl!!

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Fifth egg at Harrisburg this morning!