Author Topic: West Winnipeg - 2014 / Beau & Beatrix  (Read 38056 times)

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
Re: West Winnipeg - 2014 / Aug to Dec
« Reply #217 on: August 12, 2014, 12:25 »
Caught sight of two of the chicks - no idea who but they looked large so I'm happy to guess they were Belle and Bristol - playing fly-tag west of the B&B.  Might have been hunting dragonflies, I remember chicks about this age one year we had lots of grasshoppers catching them in mid-air at this time of the year.  And last year of course, Beatrix was a big hunter of giant water bugs when she visited in the autumn.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #216 on: August 12, 2014, 12:23 »
Have the West Winnipeg Peregrines had any interaction with the pair of Mississippi Kites that are just over the river near Montrose and Wellington?

Not really interaction - I was photographing the chicks (lousy photos but fun to take nonetheless) playing tag and one of the adult kites flew by and neither the chicks nor Beau who was hanging out with them nor the kite paid any attention to one another.  Nice to see they don't have a problem with one another at this stage of our chicks' development!

Offline dupre501

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #215 on: August 11, 2014, 20:01 »
This evening, one adult on the Diner and two chicks on the Tower (one of which was Belle).

Offline Feather2Fin

• Falcon Fan
  • Hatchling
« Reply #214 on: August 11, 2014, 09:52 »
Have the West Winnipeg Peregrines had any interaction with the pair of Mississippi Kites that are just over the river near Montrose and Wellington?

Offline dupre501

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #213 on: August 10, 2014, 18:33 »
Yesterday morning we were headed out of the city at 6:45 am and spotted 3 birds, each on a different corner of the Diner.

This afternoon we went for a drive and spotted one lone chick on the Tower, it was Belle. A little later one of the adults came circling through. I'm not sure, it may have been Beatrix. It circled the Tower and then circled to the north (maybe a bit east, but mostly north). Belle showed no interest in following. A bit later she went to the Diner, but within just a few minutes she was chasing some bird east out of the territory. She returned quickly to the Tower. That's where she was when we left.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #212 on: August 10, 2014, 18:08 »
Came across either two adults and a juvie or two juvies and an adult today.  Had my camera (wonder of wonders) with me so snapped off a few pics even though I knew the light sucked and I don't have 1/20th of Dennis' skill or his steady hands.  Will check them out anyway and see if I can tell who it might be.  It was still within the West Winnipeg territory, so I assume it was 3 of the Bs (B juniors and B seniors), but stranger things have happened.  Likely all I'll see on my photos is a peregrine shaped blob on the corner of what is presumably a building  ::)

Offline Cooper

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #211 on: August 08, 2014, 10:27 »
Thanks for all of your wonderful photos Dupre! I almost always see one two or more birds at the diner when I pass by on my way to work around 8:00 - 8:30 in the morning. This morning one chick calmly surveying the situation from the letters on the south side. Earlier this week 2 (and maybe 3) having a game of chase around the building. Of course, viewed from my car I have no idea who is who, so it's great to read your reports and see your photos. I too will enjoy seeing them as long as I can.  :)

Offline sparkster

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #210 on: August 07, 2014, 20:37 »
Thank you for sharing your photos and accounts of the activities. It sounds like the chicks are having fun and it is great to hear about them!  :) Too bad the Radisson family members aren't as accommodating as those in the near and far (Brandon) west.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #209 on: August 07, 2014, 20:25 »
Today we found 2 chicks hanging out on the Diner, one on the south sign and one on the east sign.

We went looking to see if we could find any others. Just as we were giving up, we could hear the falcons calling. So we turned around and zeroed in on 3 birds flying and chasing each other. I took a few pictures, but there wasn't much to look at. I was able to identify that one of the three was an adult (due to the whiteness of the chest), probably Beau as the head was so dark. These birds circled to the north and we lost sight of them. We are not sure if these were the same birds that were on the Diner or not.

I was in the area at the same time and didn't manage to fare any better with my photos either Dupre  :)

Offline dupre501

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #208 on: August 07, 2014, 19:08 »
Today we found 2 chicks hanging out on the Diner, one on the south sign and one on the east sign.

We went looking to see if we could find any others. Just as we were giving up, we could hear the falcons calling. So we turned around and zeroed in on 3 birds flying and chasing each other. I took a few pictures, but there wasn't much to look at. I was able to identify that one of the three was an adult (due to the whiteness of the chest), probably Beau as the head was so dark. These birds circled to the north and we lost sight of them. We are not sure if these were the same birds that were on the Diner or not.

Offline RCF

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #207 on: August 07, 2014, 17:31 »
Great photo's dupre!!  8)  :)

Offline dupre501

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #206 on: August 06, 2014, 22:25 »
Around 6:30 p.m. we found 3 chicks in the WW vicinity. First this one (one of the males)....

Then we could see two more as well, so we moved closer.

The first photo is Bristol (red) minding her own business, the second is her moving over slightly, the third is Belle (yellow) chasing Bristol from her perch, and the fourth is Bristol returning to settle close to her sister.

I'm going to enjoy all this while I can. I know it won't be too long before they are off on their way.

Offline birdbrain

• Falcon Fan
  • Hatchling
« Reply #205 on: August 06, 2014, 14:52 »
Thanks for posting the pictures, it's great to be able to see at least some of the chicks!

Offline dupre501

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #204 on: August 05, 2014, 22:10 »
Today we found all four chicks...

Bristol (red) and Belle (yellow)

Offline dupre501

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #203 on: August 05, 2014, 00:37 »