Author Topic: West Winnipeg - 2014 / Beau & Beatrix  (Read 38050 times)

Offline Mouse

• Falcon Fan
  • Hatchling
Re: West Winnipeg - 2014 / July
« Reply #187 on: July 21, 2014, 20:22 »
I was at the Grace Hospital this afternoon and as I was leaving at about 4:30, I saw what I thought was a peregrine perched on the wall next to the lane leading to Emergency.  I was confused because the bird was a light gold colour but once I checked the Forum and found out that the chicks had fledged I realized that this was one of the chicks.  It seemed quite strong and confident as it flew off so I hope it made it back home OK.

Offline photosbydennis

• Project
  • Old Bird
    • www.pbase.com/photosbydennis
« Reply #186 on: July 21, 2014, 20:04 »
Just had Beatrix at the nest site, with 1 chick that she had brought food for a little while ago...then a 2nd. chick just came screaming in...so 2 chicks now back at the nest box.
Will have to wait and see if the other 2 show up  ???

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
« Reply #185 on: July 21, 2014, 11:10 »
Chicks all together last night, all night.  They hung around late this morning because of the rain and then they didn't (at least not on camera) take off rather they flew/ran to the shady side of the building and I haven't seen anyone but the parents nibbling on the remains of this morning's meals.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #184 on: July 20, 2014, 23:36 »
Checked the camera at 2000h and all the kids are back in/at the nestbox for the night.
Well done Bs!

Offline dupre501

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #183 on: July 20, 2014, 19:45 »
Was in the area at 6:30 pm. Only two birds in sight; Beau on the NE corner and one chick right in the middle of the north wall.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #182 on: July 20, 2014, 18:26 »
Ah, it is Bristol and Belle - Belle is nipping at Bristol's toes now that she (Belle) has scarfed most of the pigeon!

Okay - all the kids are home ... Bishop is on the nestbox and Beaumont just snuck in to nibble on the remains ... and Bishop is off, let's see if he turns up with the gang ...

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #181 on: July 20, 2014, 18:00 »
Ahhh, there is an ex-white bird under those three teen-age peregrines.  Not sure if a gull or a pale coloured pigeon.  Beaumont for sure (he was very cooperative) ... oops, now a three-way tug-o-war over the remains of the meal ... other two chicks not showing me their colours ...

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #180 on: July 20, 2014, 17:48 »
Yup, it is Bristol and at the moment she is running down the wall yelling at her father who is perched at the corner ... wind gust and she got swept just out of camera view.  Can't find her but it looked like she was swept onto the roof, not off of the roof.  Scanning around the roof (can only see 1/2), I found Belle, not sure where she came from ... so have seen both the girls in the last few minutes ... holy cats, have a convention now ... Belle for sure and two others - Bristol I assume and one of the boys ... going to zoom in for band colours ...

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #179 on: July 20, 2014, 17:31 »
By no means positive but I think Belle has fledged ... Bristol was on the roof of the nestbox in the wind and suddenly a bird appeared and it almost seem as though they had hopped over from the camera mount (they like to sit on there) but a couple of minutes later, wings went out, bird went straight up (no flapping) and then came down and landed perfectly (like a Harrier jump jet) then it did it again.  Had a light coloured band so either Bishop or Belle but this bird looked to be about the same size as the bird on the roof who I'm pretty sure has red on its band though the light is a bit of a problem right now.  Could be Beaumont on the roof (blue on band) and Bishop but Beaumont has fledged and this bird just seems to be a bit too hesitant for a chick that has fledged and come back in the same day.  Hopefully chick will come a bit closer to the edge of the box and I'll get a better look at the colour - will confirm two fledges with one colour if they do!

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #178 on: July 20, 2014, 12:40 »
Went back and checked the recordings and our first fledge, if out first fledge was the one who returned to the nestbox at 1905h last night, was Bishop.  Figures, he was the first to get up on the ledge, then onto the wall, then onto the camera (Bristol was the first to the nestbox roof though) and he was the first to get some air flying from the nestbox roof to the building roof sometime in the last week. 

Still haven't figured out where Bristol goes, but she's been doing that since they figured out how to get in/out of the nestbox ...

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #177 on: July 20, 2014, 12:06 »
We can confirm at least 2 more fledges this morning - well Dennis can, he's the one who was up way too early and watched them go.  One of which could be Dupre's from last night can't be sure as it was out of camera range.  Chick came back though because they were all in the nestbox way before dawn this morning.  An hour later they were all off on their morning romps and then three were back at the box = Beaumont, Bishop & Belle.  Watch Beaumont and Bishop both take off and return a couple of times this morning and they were doing very well with the winds which have been very brisk but constant.

Dennis and I were out checking to see if we could see where our two/three fledges had gotten to and we found the two adults at the nestsite with three chicks for sure - fourth could have been elsewhere on the roof.  Two of those chicks have fledged - one was back on the nestbox with Belle, the other up on the high rooftop where Dupre saw a chick last night.

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #176 on: July 19, 2014, 23:06 »
That's wonderful news, dupre! And great camera shots. :D

Offline RCF

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #175 on: July 19, 2014, 20:52 »
Sounds like you had a great picnic!  :)  Love your photos dupre!

Offline dupre501

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #174 on: July 19, 2014, 20:15 »
My husband and I went out in the afternoon and spent a couple of hours. Spotted one chick on the west wall about halfway down. He wasn't there long. So we decided to go home, feed the cats and pack a picnic supper. Headed back out at 5:30 pm. Again, one chick on the west wall, so we decided to pack up. On the way to the car we could hear some calling so we turned around real quick to spot an adult coming in to bring food. Sigh, food was dropped by the nest box and all birds disappeared, so we continued to the car. Packed up our lawn chairs, noting that Beau was on a corner and a couple of chicks were on a different corner.

Headed round to the passenger side of the car, lots of calling going on so I glanced back one last time to see two birds in the air, one was a chick. The chick landed on the higher center portion of the building, it was 7 p.m. Now I am no longer sure which bird is on the corner, doesn't look like Beau anymore, the end of the tail feathers are light.

I pulled out my camera again and watched the chick in the center of the building, sure enough 5 min later at 7:05 there was more flying. Now my camera is brand new, delivered to my house late yesterday afternoon, and it is much more responsive than my previous camera. I was able to capture several  shots in flight. The chick then landed at the nestbox, shortly followed by the other bird (I think Beatrix).

Chick landing                                          Second bird touching down

Settling down

Offline dupre501

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #173 on: July 19, 2014, 19:41 »
We have a flyer in WW as well.