Author Topic: West Winnipeg - 2014 / Beau & Beatrix  (Read 38101 times)

Offline sparkster

• Phanatic
  • Chick
Re: West Winnipeg - 2014 / Aug to Dec
« Reply #232 on: August 22, 2014, 13:09 »
Sparkster: I can confirm that I saw all four at the beginning of August. But as TPC always says "no news is good news". Chicks don't always hang out together. What I have seen is the two girls hanging out together, and sometimes a third chick joins them. That third chick may not always be the same one. I'm not worried about what I see. Usually, if I do see three chick, then I don't see any adults. I like to think that one of the boys is too busy hanging out with dad to play with the other kids.

Thanks, Dupre. That works for me!  :)

Offline dupre501

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #231 on: August 22, 2014, 13:05 »
Dupre:  Have you seen all four chicks together lately, or just three? I hate to even think this, but am wondering if one is MIA.

Sparkster: I can confirm that I saw all four at the beginning of August. But as TPC always says "no news is good news". Chicks don't always hang out together. What I have seen is the two girls hanging out together, and sometimes a third chick joins them. That third chick may not always be the same one. I'm not worried about what I see. Usually, if I do see three chick, then I don't see any adults. I like to think that one of the boys is too busy hanging out with dad to play with the other kids.

Offline sparkster

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #230 on: August 22, 2014, 11:24 »
Got home from work about 5:30 pm, headed out again right away to see if I could find the peregrine chicks before it rained. When I left the rain gauge was empty and a few rain drops were just starting to fall. By the time we get to the usual spot, its raining harder. We did see three, two were on the NW corner and one came flying in. Then they all disappeared behind the wall to seek shelter. Through the windshield between wiper strokes I managed to get this picture.

Then it was raining too hard to see so we came home. At 6 pm, the streets were raging rivers and the rain gauge... 2 3/4 inches. And it is still raining. :o

I was in that area last evening at about that time, too. It was difficult to see, and the streets were flooded.

Dupre:  Have you seen all four chicks together lately, or just three? I hate to even think this, but am wondering if one is MIA.  :-\

Offline dupre501

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #229 on: August 22, 2014, 10:24 »
When I emptied my rain gauge at 8:30 this morning, the total rainfall since 5:30 pm yesterday was 4 inches.

Offline dupre501

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #228 on: August 21, 2014, 18:39 »
Got home from work about 5:30 pm, headed out again right away to see if I could find the peregrine chicks before it rained. When I left the rain gauge was empty and a few rain drops were just starting to fall. By the time we get to the usual spot, its raining harder. We did see three, two were on the NW corner and one came flying in. Then they all disappeared behind the wall to seek shelter. Through the windshield between wiper strokes I managed to get this picture.

Then it was raining too hard to see so we came home. At 6 pm, the streets were raging rivers and the rain gauge... 2 3/4 inches. And it is still raining. :o

« Last Edit: August 21, 2014, 18:41 by dupre501 »

Offline sparkster

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #227 on: August 21, 2014, 12:08 »
This evening, there were three peregrines at the Diner. An adult on the NW corner, a chick on the east sign, and another chick on the north wall.

I saw them last night, too, at about 7:30. I saw one on the southwest corner, but then lost sight of it. One was on the east P, and another joined it on the R. "R" made quite a few comments when s/he joined "P".  ;D They hopped on and off the letters a few times. I learned from a much earlier post of Dupre's that they sometimes "hide" behind the letters, so I watched carefully. It was great to see them.  8)

Offline Shocka88

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #226 on: August 21, 2014, 10:51 »
Thank you Dupre and everyone else that contributes to the forum......wonderful to hear of the PF activities and your photos are great!

Offline dupre501

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #225 on: August 20, 2014, 20:24 »
This evening, there were three peregrines at the Diner. An adult on the NW corner, a chick on the east sign, and another chick on the north wall.

Offline irenekl

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #224 on: August 20, 2014, 10:06 »
Dupre and all the rest of you, I really enjoy all your updates of photos and observations.  I'd know nothing without you guys keeping us in touch with the goings on of our peregrines.

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #223 on: August 18, 2014, 19:21 »
Today we found all four chicks...

I'm going to enjoy all this while I can. I know it won't be too long before they are off on their way.

Nice that you enjoy keeping track of our treasured falcons.

How lucky for you this family is most obliging 8)

Very lucky for us that you share :D

Thanks again, Dupre!

Offline bccs

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #222 on: August 18, 2014, 17:54 »
Lovely early evening for watching birdies.
Peregrines playing with peregrines, merlins playing with merlins.
They shared the space, all be it at different times, but oh boy what fun I had watching.  ;D

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #221 on: August 18, 2014, 00:20 »
I do love your photo of of the chicks with the helicopter in the background, dupre. :D

Offline dupre501

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #220 on: August 17, 2014, 14:01 »
Thank you bcbird, RCF, sparksters, Cooper and TPC. It's nice to know that I'm not just posting to "hear myself talk".

Yesterday we didn't see much at about 7 pm. One chick was on the west sign and another bird was at the nest box. Since we could only see the head peaking up above the wall, not sure if it was a chick or an adult.

Offline bcbird

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #219 on: August 16, 2014, 22:57 »
Your pictures and descriptions of the action you see are very appreciated, Dupre. 
Love the "Whirley bird" included as the fourth bird.

Offline dupre501

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #218 on: August 15, 2014, 11:25 »
For a couple of days, when we went looking, we only found Beatrix on the Diner. But yesterday, was a successful day.

We found three of the chicks sitting together, pretty as you please. They were Bristol (red tape, on left), Belle (yellow tape, in middle), and one of the male chicks (not sure which one, the tape was just "dark"), when a helicopter came by. So... four birds in the picture.

A short while later Bristol was chased off her perch when Belle launcher herself in Bristol's direction. Both birds circled, then took off and we lost sight of them. The male seemed to be happy being left alone.
Bristol...                                                                      Belle...