Author Topic: Forum Clock & Changing Time  (Read 19189 times)

Offline Liz

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Re: Setting the Time
« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2008, 20:39 »
Sorry, I was at work at 12:05.  But I changed mine to auto-detect a couple of hours ago, and it's now 20:38.  Let's see...

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2008, 17:21 »
O.K.
I notice this morning our times were the same and I knew that wasn't right so everything is cool now

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2008, 16:53 »
your time shows one hour ahead of Alberta time Is that right?.

From the Peregrine Chick:  Yes, Alberta is MDT and Manitoba is CDT.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2008, 17:10 by The Peregrine Chick »

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2008, 15:37 »
Looks like we may have this one licked but will keep an eye on this thread to see if any troubles get reported!

Thanks everyone for helping out!

Offline Pchemist

• Past Member
  • Old Bird
« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2008, 15:01 »
Also worked for me on auto-detect.  Thanks for solving it!   8)

Offline Enraptured

• Past Member
  • Chick
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2008, 14:02 »
Hi Tracy,
Whatever you did with the time setting, I think it's worked! The local forum time shows 12:22 and it's now 10:22 here in BC. The autodetect also adjusted correctly this time and adjusted for 2 hours.  So far, i'm still on BC time...either way I have to add or subtract two, so just knowing the forum time is correct is all I need!
Thanks for fixing the time problem!  ;D

I just checked again, Tracy, and the time is perfect for me locally, and for the autodetect offset, too.  So I'm another one you can scratch off the list. 
 :)

From the Peregrine Chick:  That's great Enraptured!. Another one down, 40 something to go!  :)
« Last Edit: May 28, 2008, 14:41 by The Peregrine Chick »

Offline deedream

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2008, 12:38 »
okay its 2:36 here in NB 2hours later than Winnipeg.  Had to change my setting after you reset things Tracy.  It was out by 1 hour.  I knew it as soon as I went to my profile as it said 3hours so I just hit Autoset.  and it changed that to 2hours time difference.  Came back to forum and the time is showing my time for the posts, like I wanted it too.  Perfect. 

From the Peregrine Chick:  Looks good here too so I think we have it!
« Last Edit: May 28, 2008, 12:51 by The Peregrine Chick »

Offline Enraptured

• Past Member
  • Chick
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2008, 12:29 »
Our postings must have crossed paths. I've just seen your reply to Ballywing and maybe I jumped the gun. Before today, the current forum time was always one hour to early, according to my calculations of Wpg time...and now it's jumped to one hour too fast. 
I've just double checked and the current forum time listed in the profile look and layout says 12:28. It's 10:28 here in BC.
Hope that helps somewhat.
Good luck!

From the Peregrine Chick:  Enraptured, go to your profile, and click the auto-detect button.  If the local time isn't correct, add or subtract the necessary hours to match the time where you are.  Let me know if that works by posting here again. Thanks!
« Last Edit: May 28, 2008, 12:37 by The Peregrine Chick »

Offline Enraptured

• Past Member
  • Chick
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2008, 12:24 »
Hi Tracy,
Whatever you did with the time setting, I think it's worked! The local forum time shows 12:22 and it's now 10:22 here in BC. The autodetect also adjusted correctly this time and adjusted for 2 hours.  So far, i'm still on BC time...either way I have to add or subtract two, so just knowing the forum time is correct is all I need!
Thanks for fixing the time problem!  ;D

From the Peregrine Chick:  Glad we have your time sorted Ballywing!  Just have 50 members to go  ;D
« Last Edit: May 28, 2008, 12:38 by The Peregrine Chick »

Offline ballywing

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2008, 12:11 »
Tracy I set the time to Wpg local time, autodetect. Should be 12:10pm....

From the Peregrine Chick: Thanks Ballywing - this reply shows 13:11 so, so far, without the offset for the server's time (EDT) we are one hour off.  Hopefully we will hear from folks east and west to see how the post times track.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2008, 12:22 by The Peregrine Chick »

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2008, 23:45 »
Going to try an experiment at 12 noon on Wednesday (so long as I don't get sucked into a meeting during lunch).  I am going to reset the server time. 

After 12:05 Winnipeg time, please reset your time on your Profile pages
Then post here on this thread
  a) if your time works
  b) what time you are setting your Profile to - your local time or Winnipeg local time

For reference, Winnipeg is CDT in Canada, -5 hours GMT/Zulu/UTC
« Last Edit: May 27, 2008, 23:52 by The Peregrine Chick »

Offline Enraptured

• Past Member
  • Chick
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2008, 18:17 »
Hmmm... I'm still a little confused, too, because my  'auto detect' only adjusts for one hour and I know I am two hours behind Winnipeg.  The times of the posts and my computer time still seem wonky.  The Look and Layout also says that the current forum time is only 17:13 and that's only one hour ahead of me and my computer which read 4:13 or 16:13, but it should be two hours difference. I don't know if it all really matters, but I do find myself trying to calculate whether someone posted just now or two hours ago!

Ah well, what's actually happening under our parenting peregrines on the live video feed is what really matters to me, regardless of the time...

Offline Pchemist

• Past Member
  • Old Bird
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2008, 00:05 »
No probs everyone, its a new forum and there were bound to be a few things to tweak.

Just so you all know, I have set the server time to match Winnipeg local time, just so you know when you set your times.  The easiest way is to press  "auto detect".  It should detect your local time and there you are.  If you want to keep to Winnipeg time then put a zero in the offset.

Hmmm, did that description help or hurt ?

It helps in one sense - that auto detect gets the "right" answer now.  But it seems like Winnipeg should be 2 hours ahead, not one.  I used to live in Omaha, Nebraska, USA and we joked about the directions to Winnipeg being "head north and stop when you get to Winnipeg" so it should be the same time zone.  But I know I'm 2 hours off Omaha, so should be 2 hours off Winnipeg...

I'm confused.  But I have the right time on my computer, which tells me I should go to sleep so I can wake up and go to work in the morning!

Offline Liz

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2008, 21:04 »
LOL.  It helped, thanks.  I'll reset so I actually feel like I'm in the same city! 

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2008, 20:48 »
No probs everyone, its a new forum and there were bound to be a few things to tweak.

Just so you all know, I have set the server time to match Winnipeg local time, just so you know when you set your times.  The easiest way is to press  "auto detect".  It should detect your local time and there you are.  If you want to keep to Winnipeg time then put a zero in the offset.

Hmmm, did that description help or hurt ?