Manitoba Peregrines > West Winnipeg Peregrines

Names for the Chicks

(1/4) > >>

The Peregrine Chick:
Over the last three years we have only managed to band one of Ty's kids (Daer) and we have had very good luck with T named birds in this line - T-Rex then his son Trey then his son Ty so this year, I decided to find names that would work for both parents. 

So went back to the writings of Beatrix Potter to find inspiration and just sort of stumbled across Tiggy and Tuppence.  Which is a good thing, because I was having a great deal of trouble with the concept of Flopsy, Mopsy or Cottaintail as a name for a peregrine!  Then the tape colours on the bands just seemed to fit as well - Mrs Tiggy-Winkle was a washerwoman in Potter's stories and while Tiggy-Winkle is much too close to Flopsy et al in cuteness, I could see our blue chick as a Tiggy - and she seems to be a bit of a cleaner - by that I mean enthusiastic if not all that effective.  Perhaps with her new name she will more easily channel her grandfather even more than her parents  (they are pretty good cleaners, just some gull wings left in the box now - nowhere near as bad as their cousin Radisson has been some years!).  As for Tuppence, she is the smaller of the two females but the more charismatic of the two.  So little package - tuppence in English slang means a small thing, a trifle - with a big personality - the twopence coin one of the largest of the UK's coins.  It was also the name given to one of Agatha Christie's favourite characters, Tuppence of the Tommy and Tuppence mysteries. 

So now we have names that reference both sides of the girls' parentage and hopefully that will bring them luck!

Saoirse:
Great names, TPC -- and, as always, I especially like the reasoning behind the names.

Kinderchick:

--- Quote from: The Peregrine Chick on July 11, 2014, 14:07 ---...Verdun Belle was a dog who during WW1 attached herself to a young US Marine in the trenches of France... 
--- End quote ---

A lovely story about a faithful dog. This chick, "Belle" should be very proud of her namesake. 8)

irenekl:
Love the "B" theme, good name choices too!

The Peregrine Chick:

Belle - there are two nods here, one in honour of an excellent WW1 mother and a nod to her father's name

Verdun Belle was a dog who during WW1 attached herself to a young US Marine in the trenches of France.  It is a nice story, perhaps not entirely true as stories during wartime can sometimes be revised just a bit.  Having said that, perhaps not as this story from the Stars & Stripes isn't all warm & fuzzy.  If you want to read it, the best link I can find is here OR just google "Verdun Belle" and sort through the eBay and Amazon entries.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version