Author Topic: Out-n-About in Manitoba - 2020  (Read 29058 times)

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
Re: Other Manitoba Sightings - 2016
« Reply #58 on: July 10, 2016, 16:12 »
It has been great this year having the cam at the Radisson, and hearing all the news from the other nests in Winnipeg and Brandon!  Thanks to everyone who makes this possible.  I know everyone has been busy with all the known nest sites, but I am wondering if you have had any reports of more sightings in other places like the Brandon tower or Selkirk?

RCF posted a couple of photos from the Brandon Tower site but the bird(s) didn't stick and the site has been much quieter this summer than it has been in recent years.  We have an idea to try something at the site that might be more appealing but we'll have to wait until (at least) next spring to see if what we think is more appealing actually is more appealing to a peregrine.

No joy in the Selkirk area either.  Sundance and Bristol and briefly Kelly were in the area but they haven't settled.  Sundance didn't leave Bristol for Kelly so we think the fact that Bristol is barely two years old might have influenced them.  We are hopeful for next year though.

We have a couple of other pairs who likewise looked good but they don't seem to have nested or perhaps lost their eggs/chicks in all the rain.  Neither location is easy to "see" so we have had to rely on behaviour and they haven't been behaving like they have chicks and even though they were later, they should have chicks by now.  But we will keep watching them through to the end of July just to be sure.  In both cases, we have ideas for more "appealing" nest locations that would be easier to access and/or safer for the adults and future chicks. 

So maybe with some work this fall we might be have an additional successful nest or two next year.

Offline birdbrain

• Falcon Fan
  • Hatchling
« Reply #57 on: July 09, 2016, 20:20 »
It has been great this year having the cam at the Radisson, and hearing all the news from the other nests in Winnipeg and Brandon!  Thanks to everyone who makes this possible.  I know everyone has been busy with all the known nest sites, but I am wondering if you have had any reports of more sightings in other places like the Brandon tower or Selkirk?

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #56 on: April 13, 2016, 11:19 »
We ran into Spencer today and finally got a decent look at her male companion.  Dennis and Wowzer managed to photograph him in the split second he bombed by and pros that they are the picture was in perfect focus and we discovered that Spencer's amorata this year is none other than Loki from Princess' and Ivy's 2010 nest at the Radisson.  That's the third P & I chick we know about with the exception of Hillary and Tenzing who we couldn't band which means that just like Princess and Trey they too have a surviving chick from every one of their nests!

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #55 on: April 09, 2016, 19:59 »
Dennis and I were out looking for Spencer, Sundance and Bristol - didn't find Spencer but did find Sundance and Bristol involved in what looked like courtship flights.  Bristol's a bit young (just under 2 years) but we are hoping they will at least find a spot that appeals to them as a nestsite and if they don't actually nest, that they stay there this summer, will improve the odds they will return again next year.  And if she isn't old enough to nest this year, maybe next year.  And we couldn't find Spencer or her banded male friend at any of the spots we have seen her at in the last couple of years.  Hopefully we just missed them - I can understand why they would have been off tucked down - it was cold in that wind!

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #54 on: April 05, 2016, 11:09 »
Dennis and Wowser caught up with a couple more birds - one of whom we know - looks like Spencer is back for a third year and she has a friend.  Don't know if or where they will nest but hoping third year is the charm!!!

And we haven't seen Sundance and Bristol for a bit - hopefully they are house-hunting and we will run across them again though Bristol is a bit young - she's not quite two yet ... but here's hoping!!

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #53 on: March 26, 2016, 21:20 »
Dennis has ID'd the male hanging out with Bristol today - it is Sundance, Cowboy's and Joli's son from the Logan nest site. Nice to see him back again his year - last year he was hanging out with Kelly from Brandon but they didn't nest.

Another tidbit from Grand Forks - someone may well have seen Bristol in Grand Forks just before or just as Terminator arrived home.  That would mean Bristol flew 200+ kms in 24 hours or less ... Pretty good travel time  :)

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #52 on: March 26, 2016, 14:59 »
Dennis also reports hearing another peregrine - he's gone a-hunting with Wowser ...

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #51 on: March 26, 2016, 14:30 »
Dennis caught sight (and perhaps a few photos) of another bird, female by the size, north of the city limits ... we will have to see if it is one of our transient female birds from last year - Kelly or Spencer.  Or perhaps someone new entirely ...

Nope, not Kelly or Spencer, but Bristol late from visiting Marv in Grand Forks.  We just got the call yesterday that Terminator had returned to UND.  So even if she has been back for a day or two, didn't take Bristol long to head back to more familiar territory - and so far it looks like she is staying well clear of the active nestsites - smart bird, just like her mother  ;)

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #50 on: March 26, 2016, 13:45 »
Dennis caught sight (and perhaps a few photos) of another bird, female by the size, north of the city limits ... we will have to see if it is one of our transient female birds from last year - Kelly or Spencer.  Or perhaps someone new entirely ...

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #49 on: March 09, 2016, 05:59 »
Beautiful!

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #48 on: March 08, 2016, 22:18 »
Caught the gyrfalcon on cam again:

http://explore.org/live-cams/player/northern-lights-cam

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Other Manitoba Sightings - 2016
« Reply #47 on: March 08, 2016, 22:11 »
2016 SIGHTINGS

Churchill, Manitoba

Link to a very short video of the beautiful gyrfalcon:

https://www.facebook.com/theglobeandmail/videos/10153876635238904/?fref=nf

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
Re: Other Manitoba Sightings - 2015
« Reply #46 on: November 16, 2015, 15:47 »

Not sure where her falcon video was taken however, from what I've seen from the cam riggings on the polar bear cams, I haven't seen one like the one in her "visitor" video - makes me wonder if it is at another site - not the Churchill Northern Studies Centre either, so far as I know, since their expansion, they don't have a metal dome ... Allikat, have you seen this superstructure on any of the other cams you have visited?  Or has anyone else?

I know nothing about Churchill, but I think the cam actually is located at the Churchill Northern Studies Centre. I am going to take a guess that it may be on top of a communications tower which is very close to the buildings.

I may be totally wrong, but the pic on the right below shows the top of the tower. There are two circular structures at the top, and the colours seem right also; orange and grey. What do you think?

Nope you and Allikat aren't wrong, the communications tower is newer, wasn't there the last time I visited or saw photos when I was peripherally involved in Arctic research.  Very cool, thank you both so much for tracking down the location!!

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #45 on: November 15, 2015, 21:01 »
Raptor aurora?

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #44 on: November 15, 2015, 20:59 »
Yesterday afternoon I saw this beautiful gyrfalcon perched on the structure, relaxing after a big meal. He/she stayed for about 20 minutes.