Author Topic: Mating ?  (Read 1993 times)

Offline susha

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Re: Mating ?
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2013, 19:56 »
Or its possible that the courting is done and we are now just waiting for Joli to lay eggs. 

Yeah but....where?!?  I haven't read the rest of the threads yet - is she still fooling around with Smiley?

yeesh ::)

Offline newchick

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2013, 17:43 »
We don't really have much of a choice but to be patient I'm afraid.  Nothing we can do will help Ivy find a new mate if Princess doesn't return. 

Is it too late for Princess to return?  No, but every additional day decreases the chances.
Is it too late for Ivy to find a new mate?  No, far from it.
Do we know that Ivy hasn't already found a new lady friend (Joli or someone else)?  No.
Is it too late to have chicks at the Radisson?  No, we've had birds raise young start much later than this.  Having said that, it's always a possibility - we've had chickless years before, only a couple.

Ivy doesn't seem to want to give up the Radisson which is a good thing, the Hotel is a magnet for birds, so if Princess doesn't return, a female passing through town will easily hit the Radisson and not meeting a defending female, could easily take over the territory.  Or its possible that the courting is done and we are now just waiting for Joli to lay eggs. 

Nothing like a little excitement to start out the year ...  ::)

Thanks for the answers, will keep my fingers (talons) crossed it will all work out.

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2013, 11:46 »
We don't really have much of a choice but to be patient I'm afraid.  Nothing we can do will help Ivy find a new mate if Princess doesn't return. 

Is it too late for Princess to return?  No, but every additional day decreases the chances.
Is it too late for Ivy to find a new mate?  No, far from it.
Do we know that Ivy hasn't already found a new lady friend (Joli or someone else)?  No.
Is it too late to have chicks at the Radisson?  No, we've had birds raise young start much later than this.  Having said that, it's always a possibility - we've had chickless years before, only a couple.

Ivy doesn't seem to want to give up the Radisson which is a good thing, the Hotel is a magnet for birds, so if Princess doesn't return, a female passing through town will easily hit the Radisson and not meeting a defending female, could easily take over the territory.  Or its possible that the courting is done and we are now just waiting for Joli to lay eggs. 

Nothing like a little excitement to start out the year ...  ::)

Offline Moonstar

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2013, 10:05 »
Tracey,

Perish the thought, what if Princess hasn't returned due to other reasons than the miserable, cold weather?

Would Ivy try and seek a new/another mate or just go without this year.

Would miss seeing our little fuzzies at the Radisson if there is none this year.

I have been thinking the same thing.
Do we just need to have more patience?

Offline newchick

• Phanatic
  • Chick
Mating ?
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2013, 07:43 »
Tracey,

Perish the thought, what if Princess hasn't returned due to other reasons than the miserable, cold weather?

Would Ivy try and seek a new/another mate or just go without this year.

Would miss seeing our little fuzzies at the Radisson if there is none this year.