Author Topic: Logan - 2013 / Cowboy & Jolicoeur  (Read 36742 times)

Offline ballywing

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Re: Logan - 2013 / Cowboy & Jolicoeur
« Reply #123 on: September 14, 2013, 23:26 »
Extremely well said Bev!! - Double Ditto to all that , thanks for the very informative HSC/CSC update Tracy - and my donation is coming up - Right Now!!!  :-* ;D

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #122 on: September 14, 2013, 22:45 »
Bravo, bev! Very well said! And I would imagine that most Forum members will continue to throw their support behind this Recovery Project. :)

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #121 on: September 14, 2013, 22:30 »
I would like to say a few words here, on the behalf of secrecy.

I think some of you do not understand , that sometimes it is not possible to tell all.

We had this situation in Edmonton, back in 2010. Miss Edmonton nested in a place that could not be disclosed. Peregrines do not always go where we want them. You all know that from West Winnipeg.
The only reason Peter and I knew is because it was us that found her. I notified our biologist and so in everyone's best interests , ( mostly the peregrines and building managers,we had to keep it secret. ). I reported on happenings that year but never where she was. I was very careful about picutres I posted also. Made sure nothing gave away her location.

We would monitor from afar so no one could see us. I remember someone thinking we were undercover police ;D ;D

I am not perfect, but in my monitoring in Edmonton , I sometimes do not even disclose where I see a juvenille, if I think it could be in harms way.

Tracy should not have to defend her actions. she has explained herself and that should be that. she puts in many long hours and goes above and beyond and I think everyone here knows that. Who else would put a tupperware box at a site to protect the wee ones.

As much as I am involved in our Edmonton birds, I do not expect that our biologist should have to share all with me. I am grateful for what he does.

I have not been able to get to this forum much this year, as we have been very busy in Edmonton , but check in when I can.
I find Tracy tries to give as much information as she can and she always tries to answer questions . Most sites do not have their main person interacting like Tracy does. You are very fortunate here .

I will continue to throw my support behind this project. :-* :-* :-* :-*

Offline birdbrain

• Falcon Fan
  • Hatchling
« Reply #120 on: September 14, 2013, 21:40 »
Very exciting news that there is another PF family in Winnipeg!  Thanks for the update, I had been hoping there was a nest with this pair. I have not posted this year, but have very much enjoyed watching from a distance!  Thanks for the updates, and for those of you out there who have also posted pictures.

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #119 on: September 14, 2013, 21:30 »
Tracy, you have many, many supporters, as I hope you know.  I applaud your patience, understanding, integrity and aplomb! ;) ;)
Ditto, susha! And how wonderful to hear that Cowboy & Joli have nested successfully & that their chicks fledged successfully! Excellent news for our Manitoba peregrine falcons! :D

Offline Gingerlee

• Hatchling
« Reply #118 on: September 14, 2013, 21:28 »
Ditto from me,  Susha.

Offline susha

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #117 on: September 14, 2013, 21:08 »
Tracy, you have many, many supporters, as I hope you know.  I applaud your patience, understanding, integrity and aplomb! ;) ;)

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
« Reply #116 on: September 14, 2013, 20:32 »
To answer the points raised by Bccs and Msdolittle ... deciding to donate or for that matter not to donate to/for anything is a definitely a personal choice.  Threatening not to donate, would to my mind at least, indicate that perhaps some members' donations would indeed be better spend on another endangered species project in the province or another peregrine project outside the province.  There are many to choose from and they would all be very grateful for the additional funding in these financially difficult times.  Donating to a project or organization one does not approve of does not seem like a good decision.

As for disapproving of "secrecy", well that one will be a bit more difficult for those who disapprove I'm afraid.  As I have said numerous times over the years, the primary function of the Project is to support the peregrines nesting in Manitoba.  In urban areas this requires partnerships with the buildings on which the birds choose to nest.  Sometimes these partnerships  require some compromise and accommodation on the part of both parties.  Peregrines are not easy house-guests and once they start nesting, the partners are committed to making it work until the chicks fledge (90+ days).  If that means that the Project must agree to rules about publicizing their presence, we will always be happy to comply so long as we can at the very least report on the birds after the end of the nesting season.  That some forum members disapprove of this perceived "secrecy" is unfortunate of course and yes, it would be so much easier for the Project to be able to share everything as it is happening, but that is not how it works from time to time I'm afraid.  That some members feel that their right to know (which doesn't actually exist) supersedes the Project's work on behalf of the peregrines, is disturbing and a bit disappointing after all these years.  It does however, at least to my mind, reiterate the "donating elsewhere" point raised above.  There are many other peregrine and endangered species projects out there who do not need to compromise as we do at times, and given some members' discontentment here, it may indeed be time for them to explore new avenues for their financial and moral support.  The Project will wish them well and be confident that their commitment and financial support will be put to excellent use elsewhere.

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
« Reply #115 on: September 14, 2013, 19:46 »
I just don't understand why it's okay to tell hundreds of members (over 500) on Manitoba Birds and not on The Manitoba Falcon Cam Forum. According to what you have written Tracy, this location was not to be revealed until the end of September.  I am questioning why it was posted on Manitoba Birds by you on September 12th 2013 when you have stated in your above post (#108) that this site was not to be revealed until the end of September.

The email wasn't suppose to be posted to anywhere until the end of the month as per our agreement with the building managers.  Because the birds have been gone from the site for the last couple of weeks, I got approval to release the information this weekend instead of next weekend.   Had some time earlier this week and put together the updates for both ManitobaBirds and the Forum at the same time so they would be ready to go.  But mistakes happen and I sent off the peregrine update to ManitobaBirds at the same time that I sent out a non-peregrine update and didn't realize my error until today.  So no point in waiting any longer to post the update I had ready for the Forum, so that's what I did.

Offline bccs

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #114 on: September 14, 2013, 18:56 »
I agree with RCF here.

She makes a most valid point - if this site was not to be made known until the end of September, why did Tracy post in Manitoba Birds on September 12th?

A substantial amount of donations are garnered through the forum. To let us know, only after there was a post on Manitoba Birds, is somewhat wrong in my opinion. And I will have to re-evaluate my future contributions.

I for one, would have been eager to help out with a fledge watch at this site. As I have done at the Radisson and West Winnipeg. And I can state with confidence, others would also have been happy to have been involved.

I hope this doesn't get deleted or incinerated. In the mean time I have kept a record of this thread.

Offline RCF

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #113 on: September 14, 2013, 18:19 »
Had hoped to wait until I had a photo I could attach with this, but the news was posted elsewhere before it should have been

I am a member of a group called Manitoba Birds, which is a forum for discussing birds and birding in the province of Manitoba. Tracy is also member and she occasionally posts on this forum. I receive notifications via email that group members post.

I received one yesterday that she had posted on the peregrines in Manitoba and there were three successful breeding pairs in Winnipeg and one in Brandon.  All four pair had hatched three chicks and all fledged successfully except for one at the Radisson which died soon after hatching. Quoted from her post,  The remaining 11 chicks (6 males, 5 females) all survived and fledged without incident, injury or rescue.

I just don't understand why it's okay to tell hundreds of members (over 500) on Manitoba Birds and not on The Manitoba Falcon Cam Forum. According to what you have written Tracy, this location was not to be revealed until the end of September.  I am questioning why it was posted on Manitoba Birds by you on September 12th 2013 when you have stated in your above post (#108) that this site was not to be revealed until the end of September.

http://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/Manitobabirds/conversations/topics/21380

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #112 on: September 14, 2013, 16:56 »
wow, 3 nesting pairs in Winnipeg. that is great. will keep you hopping that is for sure.
Great news  :-* :-*

Offline bcbird

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #111 on: September 14, 2013, 16:55 »
This is great news of their successful nest!

Are any of the young cowboys flyiing like their Dad yet?

Offline sparkster

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #110 on: September 14, 2013, 16:15 »
It is wonderful to hear about another successful family here this year. I hope they return next year and choose one of nests where we can watch and/or get updates.

Offline noellat

• Past Member
  • Hatchling
« Reply #109 on: September 14, 2013, 13:32 »
Such drama behind the scenes.  Can't wait for the photos.