Author Topic: Logan - 2013 / Cowboy & Jolicoeur  (Read 36759 times)

Offline birdcamfan

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Re: Logan - 2013 / Cowboy & Jolicoeur
« Reply #63 on: May 03, 2013, 15:12 »
but there was a lot of noise coming from the women's centre.
That's just all the ladies in labour!

Offline birdnut

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #62 on: May 03, 2013, 09:19 »
Both birds here this morning.
Saw one on the letters and then he(I am guessing) took off to the south.
I didn't see the other bird, but there was a lot of noise coming from the women's centre.

Offline birdnut

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #61 on: May 02, 2013, 09:25 »
Still no nesting here yet - this morning at 9:00.
Joli sitting on her favourite perch- rooftop corner of the Buhler building.
Cowboy is on one of his favourite perchs from last year - smokestack antenna.

Offline birdnut

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #60 on: May 01, 2013, 09:10 »
They were both still there at 4:30 and then again this morning at 9:00.

Offline photosbydennis

• Project
  • Old Bird
    • www.pbase.com/photosbydennis
« Reply #59 on: April 30, 2013, 20:01 »
Going from point A to B by way of HSC found both birds perched on the lower letter ( R & E ) sitting side-by each around 2:30ish...in the drizzle.

Offline irenekl

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #58 on: April 30, 2013, 12:08 »
Cooper you did mention the HSC peregrines, right there in your last line ;)

I enjoying reading what all goes on at the waterfront.  I didn't realize there was such a variety of activity there.

Offline birdnut

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #57 on: April 30, 2013, 09:29 »
Silly Joli is sitting on top of the Buhler building in the pouring rain this morning at 9:00.

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
« Reply #56 on: April 29, 2013, 13:40 »
Dennis and Wowzer did a little lurking today and Joli is at HSC and from the subject line you can see she has found her mate from last year - or rather her mate found her.  No idea where Smiley might be, haven't seen his legband since April 14th, so it is likely that Cowboy came back and gave the youngster his marching order much as he did last year.  So despite Joli's flirtatious ways with Ivy and Smiley, it looks as though she is opting for Cowboy!

No idea if they are nesting or will be nesting but will let y'all know when/if we find/see anything.

Thank you Dennis & Wowzer!

Offline Cooper

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #55 on: April 29, 2013, 11:47 »
Well I had a grand time watching the waterfowl on the river in front of my house this weekend. The ice left Friday night, with water running fairly quickly and lots of icebergs and debris flowing along all weekend. But the ducks and geese , all fairly common species, were positively frantic to get things done, that they were bobbing along dodging all the flotsam and jetsom. It was like they didn't know whether to fish or flirt, so they did both at the same time.  There were scads of common goldeneye. They were busily diving for food (they have got to be the best "duck divers" around) and at the same time doing this courting ritual where they throw their heads back. Highly entertaining!

I also saw a pair of red-breasted merganser - also pretty birds with crested heads - fishing. The male caught one almost as big as he was. He was having trouble getting it into position to eat. The female offered her help, but he was having nothing doing and swam off with it. I don't know what that greediness will do to their relationship!  ;D

And the wood ducks are back too in full breeding plumage.

So the riverfront was just alive with nature's activity and colour!

My yard was buzzing with activity too with flocks of juncos and fox sparrows. The fox sparrows are fun to watch because they do a little flurry of kickin' and jivin' in the leaves on the ground to scare up their food. It was like they were having their own barn dance!

Now I see that I have said not one word here about the HSC peregrines in their own thread. Oops. Please excuse my exuberance.  :)

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #54 on: April 29, 2013, 10:43 »
One birdie sitting on the east facing letters this morning at 9:00.

So glad you reported this birdnut, Dennis and I were wondering if perhaps now that there has been a significant weather change if the HSC birds would vanish as they have done the last two years. 

And if anyone is wondering if the weather really has changed that much, the bird - songbird and waterfowl in particular - populations have exploded exponentially in the last couple of years.  We darn near drove off the road looking at newly-arrived duck species in the drainage ditches this morning!

Offline birdnut

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #53 on: April 29, 2013, 09:50 »
One birdie sitting on the east facing letters this morning at 9:00.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #52 on: April 25, 2013, 19:03 »
So, TPC, do you just watch to see where the birds' attention seems to be and then climb up to see?  I remember that there was an abandoned egg (a couple of years ago) on a rooftop, but I can't remember how you found it... ???

That pretty much describes it Susha.  There is a little recognizing certain behaviours and understanding what they are looking for in a nestsite and then a sprinkling of luck because they don't always do what you think they are going to ...  ::)

Offline susha

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #51 on: April 25, 2013, 18:42 »
So, TPC, do you just watch to see where the birds' attention seems to be and then climb up to see?  I remember that there was an abandoned egg (a couple of years ago) on a rooftop, but I can't remember how you found it... ???

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #50 on: April 25, 2013, 11:06 »
Yup, we are going to have to go hunting to see where this pair (we assume its still Smiley and Joli) are actually going to nest - last year Joli and Cowboy didn't, but this year they are both old enough!

Offline birdnut

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #49 on: April 25, 2013, 09:26 »
Both birds are here again this morning(9:00) on the east facing letters.