Author Topic: West Winnipeg - 2013 / Beau & Jules  (Read 58982 times)

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Re: West Winnipeg - 2013 / January - March
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2013, 14:19 »
No doubt. the return of our pf's are so very close. Thanks for sharing, Cooper. Excitement builds. Countdown timer needed, or are you our countdown timer for WW? ;)

Offline birdcamfan

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2013, 13:57 »
Puns are fine. Coincidentally, I chose my screen name for the bird. Some years ago, I happened to make the heinous mistake of suggesting that a bird hunting in my yard was a peregrine falcon. My daughter, who has followed the Radisson birds for years before me, rolled her eyes and said, "Oh Mother! It couldn't have been a peregrine. (and she proceeded to tell me all the reasons why). It was probably a Cooper's hawk."

But, sure it could have been a hawk or other sort of falcon. However, the colouring, the stance of the bird and other more subliminal factors (I've observed the falcons on the letters more times than I can could count), suggests to me, I saw what I saw.
You are lucky. Thanks for sharing this. I look up there every time I run by even though I didn't think I would see anything. Now I have something to look for. Any sightings since then?

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2013, 12:35 »
TPC, is there a possibility you will try to lure Jules and Beau back to their WW nestbox this year?  ???

Oh, more than a possibility GCG - actually we are going to try to stop them from the "bad" site right from the start of the season so they have to go elsewhere - and since they have nested nearby before, they should shift there just like they shifted a couple of years ago when we lost their 2010 site.  We are still in the planning/prepping stage but when I will be sure to post more concrete news when I have it.
To be continued, Cooper. My son is a letter carrier. A couple of years ago, he delivered mail in an area that have Cooper's Hawks. One day, one was sitting on a fence, flew down to the ground and then up into a tree. He then took a picture from his cell, forwarded it to me, thinking it was a PF. Sent this to TPC, she confirmed it to be a Cooper's Hawk. I agree with you, spring may have come early and we have the first of our PF's. Time to get the countdown timer up. ;D ;)

Well then you better get started, because I think somebody is home!
Driving to work this morning, spotted birdy up on the "t" on the diner south/west side. The "t" is sometimes deceiving...looks like something there when there isn't. So, I rolled down my window and had a good look. Definitely a bird, his/her belly tawny in the morning sunlight.

I suppose it could be somebody other than one of the west wpg birds...but definitely somebody there. In this freezing weather!

OMG! Cooper, I hope what you saw was not our PF. -40 degrees with WC. On the other hand, maybe our PG's can predict early spring better than a groundhog. For us, AND them, I can only hope.  ;D

Offline Cooper

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2013, 08:26 »
Puns are fine. Coincidentally, I chose my screen name for the bird. Some years ago, I happened to make the heinous mistake of suggesting that a bird hunting in my yard was a peregrine falcon. My daughter, who has followed the Radisson birds for years before me, rolled her eyes and said, "Oh Mother! It couldn't have been a peregrine. (and she proceeded to tell me all the reasons why). It was probably a Cooper's hawk."

But, sure it could have been a hawk or other sort of falcon. However, the colouring, the stance of the bird and other more subliminal factors (I've observed the falcons on the letters more times than I can could count), suggests to me, I saw what I saw.

Offline birdcamfan

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2013, 18:21 »
Do you think it could have been a Cooper's Hawk (No pun intended!). They seem to be back here a little earlier than the PF's and we have had one hang out in Wolseley for a few weeks every year in March. They are a good size and have a light colored chest.

Offline bccs

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2013, 18:30 »
I'll second Cooper, she's been around long enough to know the difference.
Buff chest, no way that could be a crow or a raven.
But still we look and seek.

Offline Cooper

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2013, 15:14 »
Nope. Definitely not a crow or raven.

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2013, 18:05 »
There has been a crow or raven on the Diner for the last week sitting on the signs and I think cleaning out the prey remains from the peregrines' cache behind the sign ... might it have been him/her Cooper?

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2013, 15:16 »
TPC, is there a possibility you will try to lure Jules and Beau back to their WW nestbox this year?  ???

Oh, more than a possibility GCG - actually we are going to try to stop them from the "bad" site right from the start of the season so they have to go elsewhere - and since they have nested nearby before, they should shift there just like they shifted a couple of years ago when we lost their 2010 site.  We are still in the planning/prepping stage but when I will be sure to post more concrete news when I have it.

Driving to work this morning, spotted birdy up on the "t" on the diner south/west side. The "t" is sometimes deceiving...looks like something there when there isn't. So, I rolled down my window and had a good look. Definitely a bird, his/her belly tawny in the morning sunlight.

I suppose it could be somebody other than one of the west wpg birds...but definitely somebody there. In this freezing weather!

OMG! Cooper, I hope what you saw was not our PF. -40 degrees with WC. On the other hand, maybe our PG's can predict early spring better than a groundhog. For us, AND them, I can only hope.  ;D

Offline Cooper

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2013, 09:08 »

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2013, 13:30 »

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
West Winnipeg - 2013 / Beau & Jules
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2013, 06:13 »
« Last Edit: February 14, 2013, 06:15 by gemcitygemini »