Author Topic: West Winnipeg - 2013 / Beau & Jules  (Read 60651 times)

Offline newchick

• Phanatic
  • Chick
West Winnipeg - 2013 / August
« Reply #282 on: August 02, 2013, 20:57 »
Not sure who or where from, but this morning there was a bird circling the Safeway store at Portage and Cavalier, kakking away as it circled (reminded me of Vesper). It was too high for me to make out whether adult or chick without binocs (and don't usually take them with me when I go for groceries). Certainly wasn't expecting to see or hear a falcon. Usually there are gulls, pigeons and crows around, but this morning there wasn't another bird in sight. It headed off towards the river, out of sight.
There is one around here in West St. James, I've been hearing it a lot lately.

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
Re: West Winnipeg - 2013 / July
« Reply #281 on: July 29, 2013, 17:42 »
We have observed the "girls" going off after the adults so likely one of them yelling at Mom or Dad ...

Offline sami

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #280 on: July 29, 2013, 17:30 »
Not sure who or where from, but this morning there was a bird circling the Safeway store at Portage and Cavalier, kakking away as it circled (reminded me of Vesper). It was too high for me to make out whether adult or chick without binocs (and don't usually take them with me when I go for groceries). Certainly wasn't expecting to see or hear a falcon. Usually there are gulls, pigeons and crows around, but this morning there wasn't another bird in sight. It headed off towards the river, out of sight.

Offline dupre501

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #279 on: July 27, 2013, 23:15 »
Three chicks on the Diner after 9 p.m.

Offline Pam

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #278 on: July 26, 2013, 10:00 »
Two juvies on the diner (east side) this morning, not sure which though!

Offline susha

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #277 on: July 25, 2013, 20:49 »
Sure hope the parents are able to teach the kids how to hunt before the snow falls :P  Brrrr!  

These ladies will be hunting by the end of August no problem, then there is lots of food around as birds start to stage for migration so they will have plenty of opportunities to practice their skills before migrating themselves ... 

Oh, I know that all the Manitoba birds will be outstanding in their flying and hunting abilities if the snow holds off until a reasonable time...it just that today, it felt like it could snow by the beginning of August ::)

Offline dupre501

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #276 on: July 25, 2013, 19:34 »
Just got back from a short drive in the rain. Beau was on the south sign of the Diner. Two birds on the south side of the bleachers. Could definitely make out one was a chick, the other was hard to tell, with it's damp back towards us. Will have to review my photos to be sure.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #275 on: July 25, 2013, 19:09 »
We watched the 2 if not 3 of the chicks very nimbly soaring and landing after work today - when you consider how short a time they have been flying their progress is remarkable!!  They have been flying the same length of time as the McKenzie Seeds birds for those who were about to go off and count  ;)

Sure hope the parents are able to teach the kids how to hunt before the snow falls :P  Brrrr! 

These ladies will be hunting by the end of August no problem, then there is lots of food around as birds start to stage for migration so they will have plenty of opportunities to practice their skills before migrating themselves ...

Offline susha

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #274 on: July 25, 2013, 18:20 »
Thank for the report, TPC.  I usually see at least one bird on my drive to work, but without binocs, can't tell if it's a chick or parent.  The other day when I thought I saw four birds, I went back after work and using my binocs, saw that one of the "birds" was a thingie on the roof (looked like a camera ???).  At that time, there were two birds, both chicks. 

Sure hope the parents are able to teach the kids how to hunt before the snow falls :P  Brrrr!

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #273 on: July 25, 2013, 15:29 »
Same note as on Radisson thread - Winnipeg is currently under a tornado watch ...

Offline Pense

• Hatchling
« Reply #272 on: July 25, 2013, 12:36 »
Thanks for the update TPC.  Thanks to everyone who takes the time to submit such detailed and descriptive reports.  Very often when I am reading them I can see it all happening in my head and the reports have ellicted chuckles a few times too!

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #271 on: July 25, 2013, 10:16 »
Dennis and I decided to do some tuppernest site cleaning last night ( :-X) and then went chick hunting.  We thought we had two chicks at/in the nestbox and Beau in his usually corner and Jules over at the Crow's Nest but couldn't find chick three and we did go look - high, low and under.  In the end we took some time to just watch the kids for a bit before heading off.  Then it occurred to us that "Beau" was a wee bit too dark ... so squealing tyres and a couple of two-wheel turns and we were close enough to get a good look with binocs and with seconds to spare, there was a flash of light on a packpack before the bird hopped down onto the roof.    Then the little terrors did the we're-so-cute-three-peas-in-a-pod thing ... like they couldn't have done that two hours earlier?  Anywho, got work done and found all three chicks.  Jules was watching them all but from far enough away they couldn't bug her for food and Beau was in his usual anonymous location.  At some point we'll figure out where he hangs out watching but given that these birds can see very well for a couple of miles, it's going to take more time I suspect. 

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #270 on: July 24, 2013, 10:01 »
Dennis reported this am being able to see one chick in the nestbox (head bobbing so likely eating), one chick south of the building, Beau on the SE corner and Jules at the Crow's Nest watching in the general direction of Beau and the kids.  Likely means that little girl 3 is in the area and Mom is watching over her ...

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #269 on: July 24, 2013, 09:28 »
Update on Juliet from last year ... she's in northern North Dakota hanging out near wetlands & some lakes (good eats there!) ...

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #268 on: July 23, 2013, 23:53 »
Had dinner with a friend this evening in the West Winnipeg area. Always carry my binocs with me in my car. Was able to spot 1 of the "girls" on the northeast corner of the nest box building & another "girl" on the northwest corner. The "girl" on the northeast corner of the building flew away & then returned not long after. The "girl" on the northwest corner remained in the same place pretty much all evening, without flying anywhere. Maybe this is the one who hasn't yet fledged? :-\ Looked all over but did not spot Jules or Beau or the 3rd "girl".