Author Topic: Radisson - 2013 / Ivy & Princess  (Read 132269 times)

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Re: Radisson - 2013 / April
« Reply #115 on: April 11, 2013, 22:11 »
... I'd love to see Princess again too - starting to think it's getting really late for that though.... :-\

Yup, I think you may be right ballywing - the end of an era, most likely. :'(

Offline ballywing

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #114 on: April 11, 2013, 20:05 »
I think normally by now we'd have lots of activity & reports, but must be the crazy weather slowing things down - I'd love to see Princess again too - starting to think it's getting really late for that though.... :-\

Offline mspeach

• Hatchling
« Reply #113 on: April 11, 2013, 19:40 »
I keep checking everyday hoping hoping and hoping that Princess has returned.

Where is Joli from??

Offline cocoa3c

• Egg
« Reply #112 on: April 11, 2013, 00:40 »
Hi All! Hi PC!

Wow, the birds are back already. Is it a bit early? It's still so cold and here in Thunder Bay, lots of snow. :( Has it been determined who is pairing up? I tried to read some of the posts, but sorry if it's already been discussed. I saw your vid of somebirdy cleaning out the nest. Another exciting year. Last year, I also watched the heron cam...a lot of action there, especially at night when owls tried to attack.

Looking forward to another cool breeding season!

Hug and God Bless,
Arlette/cocoa3c

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
« Reply #111 on: April 10, 2013, 15:51 »
1551h

One of the birds, looks like Ivy without seeing "his" bands, sitting on the R on the west side of the hotel.
Can't see "her" anywhere at the moment.  "He" looks like he is enjoying the sun though ...

Offline ballywing

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #110 on: April 10, 2013, 12:30 »
Pretty sure I saw somebirdie on the 'a' of 'Radisson' west side just before noon. Only could see the tail feathers, they seemed to be facing the wall.  :-\

Offline Elaine L

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #109 on: April 09, 2013, 21:28 »
I feel the same way about wondering and asking.  I don't want to think about it.  I used to think that knowing what happens to our well-known and well-loved falcons is better than not knowing, but last year when S2 died at de Mortel, I wasn't so sure anymore...

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #108 on: April 09, 2013, 10:53 »
TPC, how  old is Princess?  I hate the thought that something might have happened to her.

Princess hatched in 2002 from NSP Riverside in Minneapolis.

I too, was wondering the same thing but was afraid to ask.  ::)

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #107 on: April 09, 2013, 10:41 »
TPC, how  old is Princess?  I hate the thought that something might have happened to her.

Princess hatched in 2002 from NSP Riverside in Minneapolis.

Offline Moonstar

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #106 on: April 09, 2013, 10:11 »

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #105 on: April 08, 2013, 20:59 »
So, do you think it's still a possibility that Princess could yet return to Winnipeg, TPC, or is it rather late to be hoping for this? ???

Not when one of the Brandon birds just blew into town ... Alice arrived in Brandon much later a couple of years ago.  Now, whether or not she could reassert her dominance at the Radisson if Joli has moved in, I don't know.  Or maybe that is why we haven't seen many birds at the nestbox over the last couple of days.  Eventually our peregrines thoughts will go to nesting and we'll see who's where and with whom for this year ...

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #104 on: April 08, 2013, 19:28 »
So, do you think it's still a possibility that Princess could yet return to Winnipeg, TPC, or is it rather late to be hoping for this? ???

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #103 on: April 08, 2013, 14:32 »
good luck  ;D

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #102 on: April 08, 2013, 09:12 »
Yesterday (Sunday, April ) between about 6am and 9am, Ivy was in/on the box a couple of times and hung out a bit as well but no sign of Joli or any other peregrines at the nestsite or around it when I panned around.

This morning, it looked like a female on the nestbox when I checked the recording and she was sitting on the north corner of the nestbox for about an hour.  Couldn't tell who it was, Joli I think because of the size and the size of her white breast (larger than Princess').  At the moment all the birds are puffing up their feathers to keep warm so they all seem larger than they actually are, so I'm using plumage differences as well as size to differentiate between them.  Of Ivy, Princess and Joli - Ivy is smallest, has the darkest, fullest cap and the most white on his breast; Joli is bigger, blacker cap than Princess and has more white on breast than Princess and less than Ivy. Princess is about Joli's size but I think a bit more sleek (not bulky) but I can't be sure of that, just my impression. She also still should have lighter feathers on her "crown" and speckles that come up high on her breast.

Will keep watching ... the light will probably be poor today for band numbers but colours will help to narrow down the options ...
   black & male = Ivy (or Cowboy or Ty though unlikely)
   black/red & female = Joli (or Alice though unlikely)
   black/green & female = Princess
   black/green & male = Smiley

Any other combinations and we will have another mystery to solve!  ;D
« Last Edit: April 08, 2013, 09:14 by The Peregrine Chick »

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #101 on: April 08, 2013, 06:40 »
I certainly hope Princess gets wind of what has been happening at her domain, ruffles her feathers and darts home.  :)
« Last Edit: April 08, 2013, 12:13 by gemcitygemini »