Author Topic: Of Peregrines & Nest Scrapes  (Read 4451 times)

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
Re: Of Peregrines & Nest Scrapes
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2012, 18:50 »
Hey Leana - questions are always welcome and you have had some great answers from the gang here on scrapes.  To add my two cents, think shallow bowl so the eggs don't roll around the nestbox - make it safer for the eggs and easier for the adults to incubate them.  Once the cams go "on", you'll see how a scrape "helps" the adults.

Offline bcbird

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2012, 18:26 »
In further addition, here are a few past forum notes on scrapes.

BRI-2012  reply #1
...the nest-called a scrape because the falcon does not actually build a nest, but rather digs a depression in the gravel found on a high ledge, usually a cliff. These birds have adapted to human development by taking advantage of tall man-made structures such as skyscrapers, water towers, or bridges for nesting spots.

Wilmington-2011
Spring is in the air for these two and reports of bonding and making a scrape at the nest box have been observed, as well as canoodling.

U of Alberta-2010  reply #118
... has made a nice little scrape in the nestbox - I think the big event is very close!

Offline dupre501

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2012, 18:22 »
To add to bccs's explaination, this is the natural form of nesting for peregrines. They do not build a nest with sticks and do not line it with feathers. Rather, they form a "scrape" or slight depression in the ground to lay their eggs in. The depressions does two things, one it means that the eggs will not roll around, and would not be in danger of falling of the cliff ledge and two they can nestle down on the eggs and cover them better.

Offline bccs

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2012, 16:12 »
Not to worry , lots of new terms to learn.
I likely won't describe it with eloquence, but a scrape is when the male gets into the gravel, uses his feet, body and wings to make a depression in the gravel.
For some reason or another, the female choses the one she likes best. No telling why, she just does.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2012, 16:19 by bccs »

Offline Leana

• Past Member
  • Fledgling
Of Peregrines & Nest Scrapes
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2012, 16:08 »
Woot woot for Princess and Ivy!  So happy to hear they are both back. 

Now I'm going to have to ask a Newbie-like question...( :-[)... what is "scrape" in a nestbox?  ???

I feel so embarrassed asking that  ::).