Author Topic: U of Alberta - 2012 / Chase & Radisson  (Read 29091 times)

Offline birdcamfan

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Re: U of Alberta - 2012 / Chase & Radisson
« Reply #200 on: October 13, 2012, 17:39 »
i have finally learned that i have no control over it but my heart has not quite caught up with my brain. :-* :-*
I hear ya! Does it ever catch up??  :)

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #199 on: October 13, 2012, 11:41 »
We have been away but when we got back checked on Radisson and C hase. . Jean saw both on  Thursday , Oct4th . We only saw Radisson On Oct 4 th and only saw one at night spot .

We saw no one on Friday and either did Jean. We checked night spot and no one around. I could not get back down thanksgiving weekend but did not hear if Jean saw anyone, She would have e-mailed me if she had.

so I believe R left Friday sometime, Oct5 and chase either same time or day before.If he comes back next year , I hope he steps up to the plate. We are not used to not having a great male.

One never knows what the next season will bring, but it sure has been a rough season here.

Once I get my winter yard work done I hope to get my picut5res of hack site and river site done.

Miss E was not to be seen by us at Weber when we got home. We got home evening Oct3rd. Reports from Bin 104 say they saw no ne since Sunday Sept 30. But sometimes at t5his time of year they wander a bit , so I am saying they left sometime between Sept 30th and Oct3rd. this is early for Miss E

for me, this is always a hard time of year, as I bid my goodbyes and wonder if they will return. but i have finally learned that i have no control over it but my heart has not quite caught up with my brain. :-* :-*

Offline Jazzerkins

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #198 on: September 13, 2012, 18:19 »
Hey Bev - as many know the adult human male sometimes reverts back, just as Chase did.  Maybe there is a connection? :D ???

Offline bcbird

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #197 on: September 13, 2012, 12:58 »
Thanks for the good news of another nesting site.  What dedication, braving the unpleasantries of nature to report on the wonders! 

Offline Elaine L

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #196 on: September 13, 2012, 11:16 »
Thanks for the update, Bev.  I am glad that we have a nest in the River Valley that is working out.

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #195 on: September 13, 2012, 10:33 »
I have been very busy monitoring a new nest along a river in Edmonton that is a very late nesting.
Gordon thought the adult male might be our adult male from last 2.5 seasons at Clinical...
Very interesting, to hear of a new nest in your area, bev. Please keep us posted. :)

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #194 on: September 13, 2012, 10:30 »
here are 2 nice shots of Radisson that Jean sent me.

http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x135/fullbrandt/2012%20falcons/JeanR27Aug121-1.jpg

http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x135/fullbrandt/2012%20falcons/jeanR27Aug122-1.jpg

We do not know what happened that Chase regressed in his behavior , this year. we can only surmise that after 2 chicks were removed at banding and one treated at box for 3 days , he got confused.  Because up until then he was hunting and feeding chicks.

After banding , he brought in food at first but took it right out again, and ate it himself.  Then he just quit hunting. He started begging for food like the young male.

Hopefully a year will make a difference. I never wish any harm to any of them but poor Radisson does not need another year of this

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #193 on: September 13, 2012, 10:24 »
I have been very busy monitoring a new nest along a river in Edmonton that is a very late nesting.
Gordon thought the adult male might be our adult male from last 2.5 seasons at Clinical .

the kids are still there but we have been eaten alive with mosquitoes, sand flies, and froze to death. But we were glad to see some youngsters again. I think they will be gone shortly.

But we have not forgotten Radisson. She is still holding her site and Chase is a bit of a pain, but we will see what next season brings

here are 2 slideshows of Jeans picutres from her window. click on pictures and look at dates

Offline allikat

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #192 on: July 29, 2012, 21:42 »
Ah...the life of a peregrine.  They keep us wonderin' and guessin'... and it's fine by me.  They have been doin' this for years, so, I, leave all of that up to them...nature sure is, a mystery, and I leave it to them as they know what's best!

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #191 on: July 25, 2012, 14:44 »
Good grief, I come back from holidays only to find that Feist is missing in action, and that Chase has still not figured out whether Radisson is his mother or his lover...   
Lots can happen in the life of a PF, in a very short amount of time. But I, too, am going to hold out positive thoughts for Feist still being alive.

Offline birdcamfan

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #190 on: July 24, 2012, 07:57 »
Kind of a strange family dynamic going on there. You are right Elaine L, Feist is a fast developer. We have to stay with positive thoughts and hope for this little guy.

Offline Elaine L

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #189 on: July 23, 2012, 23:40 »
Good grief, I come back from holidays only to find that Feist is missing in action, and that Chase has still not figured out whether Radisson is his mother or his lover.   

On the positive side, when we attended Feist's banding, I felt that he was such a feisty, hardy little chick; he had overcome mites, flies and frounce, unlike his brothers, so I think his chances of still being alive are good.  I don't think he liked Chase much, so my feeling is that he took off as soon as he felt able in order to hone his skills and to improve his ability to escape from unfriendly male peregrines.  Until we hear otherwise, I will stick with this.

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #188 on: July 23, 2012, 12:20 »
Thanks Tracy.

I appreciate all the help I can get in my observations. At first we thought Chase was playing like a sibling but he became so much more aggressive, like he was competing for food.

He did so well till after banding and then he regressed. It was as if he just did not know his place. he hunted up a storm before. Prey all over the place and then he seemed to stop and expect to be fed by Radisson also.

We will continue to go , but not all day and watch his behavior and see if he starts hunting again. He has been scraping in the box, and maybe this will make,  him more adult like. coming half way throuhg did to allow him to do this.

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
« Reply #187 on: July 23, 2012, 09:05 »
Thanks Bev, it always helps to get on-site observational details.  Sounds like Chase is acting more like a fledgling than a parent which is something Madame did her first summer at the U of M with T-Rex.  Completely turned around the following year when she was Mistress of the Radisson with T-Rex's dad, Pop, so that is perhaps optimistic news for next year if he returns (and if Radisson will have him again).  Could be that his behaviour with Feist is more sibling-like than parental as well - siblings do chase each other - difference is that Feist wouldn't necessary see his behaviour as sibling-like and by not behaving as expected Chase's play-chasing has/had a bit more of an edge to it - hardwiring is a wonderful thing  ::)

Do keep us updated!

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #186 on: July 23, 2012, 00:37 »
Hi Tracy.

the reason I said he was in defensive position becasue we were watching as Chase chased him to ledge.

Chase was waiting for Radisson to give him heck again. She had chased him away from our little guy several times that day.

We have not seen Chase bring in food since the banding. he seems to be begging R for food.

they have been at nest box, scraping. they both turned in very early the day we did not see our young guy.

tomorrow i am going to look in a new area.

Our young guy learned most of what he had to learn on his own.  Chase would always leave when R left. usually we have at least one of adults staying behind when young ones have first fledged.