Author Topic: U of Alberta - 2012 / Chase & Radisson  (Read 30745 times)

Offline Elaine L

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
Re: U of Alberta - 2012 / Chase & Radisson
« Reply #110 on: June 29, 2012, 14:15 »
Bev, Jean and I met Gordon Court and a flock of other people on the roof of the Clinical Sciences Building at 12 noon today for the banding of the chicks. I had never been to a banding before, so I was looking forward to it. I cannot tell you what a shock it was to find that two of the chicks were so sickly they would have been dead in a week, and the third, although in somewhat better condition, was still not healthy, Gordon said. Two of them were very malnourished, undersized, and completely infested with bugs. When Gordon lifted their wings, you could see the bugs crawling all over them. They were being eaten alive, and it was awful to see these poor chicks suffering so much. Also, Gordon felt that there were other problems, possibly Trichimonas, as their chests did not look right. The third, healthier chick, did not have mites, but he still was not in really good shape. He was pretty feisty, though, which is a good sign, while the two smaller ones barely registered our presence, and one of them had trouble standing.

The parents showed their displeasure with our presence by kaaking and flying around, but they did not attack. Eventually, Radisson moved to the roof of the heart institute, where she watched us, kaaking the whole time, while Chase flew up and down and around, I don't think he knew what to do, or what to think of all these people on the roof.

Gordon took the smaller two away to start them on antibiotics and bug dusting for what we hope will be a full recovery, but he said that he felt they were in such bad shape he did not know if they will make it. If they do, it is unlikely he will return them to the nestbox. He returned the third chick to the nest, and has asked all who are watching this site over the next week to keep track of this chick's condition. If it seems to be fading, he will come in and get it. I wish I had better news to report. At least on the positive side, we got to them in time.

The chicks are all male. The band number of the chick that was returned to the nestbox is D/08.

Bev went off to the banding at the Weber, and I expect she will report on this later.

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #108 on: June 29, 2012, 08:20 »
I have remembered my password so should be able to post more now.

Our 3 chicks are doing fine and we are banding today. I believe 2 males and a female.

We have had our share of worries but our new male is doing great. he is feeding and supplying tons of food. these young ones are stuffed.

will post pictures later as I have to do them in format for this forum.

will try an do slideshow of best ones

not too many check here so I will do what I can

Offline lilamy1979

• Past Member
  • Hatchling
« Reply #107 on: June 27, 2012, 11:07 »
We had our fledge watch meeting last night, right in the midst of a thunder and lightning storm.  We are few in number, but we will do what we can for these three chicks.  Fledge watch will start on Monday, July 9, with Peter and Bev, with Bev planning to be there at 5:00 in the morning, dedicated as she is.
I am surprised that the chicks back home haven't fledged yet. I am happy to read that they are doing well though.

Offline Elaine L

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #106 on: June 27, 2012, 10:36 »
We had our fledge watch meeting last night, right in the midst of a thunder and lightning storm.  We are few in number, but we will do what we can for these three chicks.  Fledge watch will start on Monday, July 9, with Peter and Bev, with Bev planning to be there at 5:00 in the morning, dedicated as she is.

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #105 on: June 14, 2012, 10:28 »
Things are going well here. We are still monitoring from ground but the male has fed the little ones

They are both hunting and bringing in food. Chase follows R around like a puppy dog. so cute to see. He is learning from a great gal.

Gord went up with technician to try and fix cam.  R was very upset but Gord said chicks are well fed ad they are eating duck(grebe) and pigeon. We see duck going in. the young guy likes to hunt later in day and so he probably gets them in their night flights.

But even though we get clearer picture, all the wind and rain of last few days has knocked it a bit too high. live stream always goes down. do not know what answer is but I am thankful for refresh , even though peole hate it. It is better than nothing
I am so glad others are posting here .

I am more impressed every day with this young male and hopefully he will be good at fledge.

this is from this morning

slideshow trying new format. click on link I always put start and end on shows

http://s187.photobucket.com/albums/x135/fullbrandt/2012%20falcons/?action=view&current=ab984865.pbw

Offline RCF

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #104 on: June 11, 2012, 21:19 »
The chicks are getting much bigger and they just had a good big feed.  ;D

http://youtu.be/VPuBn12qgOo

Offline bcbird

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #103 on: June 05, 2012, 00:11 »
so far so good with our young male.

He is learning from a pro, who learned from a pro.

I would like to name him chase, as R had to chase him into nest box so many times :-* :-*
Chase works.  Great story behind that name!

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #102 on: June 04, 2012, 22:18 »
so far so good with our young male.
We had a third hatch JUne3, around 6pm

This young male is bringing in food and today he finally got all kids covered. I wish I could video becasue it was funny. Good thing the chicks are a bit flexible.  ;D ;D

I watched 3 feeds and I believe all wre fed. the way our cam is positioned , is not the greatest. they should have left well enough alone.

But we have a cam. Could be worse, not one.
will continue to monitor.

Jean and Becky ere down there with us last night.  Jeana says she sees the male bringing in food. He is learning from a pro, who learned from a pro.

I would like to name him chase, as R had to chase him into nest box so many times :-* :-*

here is link to one of my slideshows

here is link
http://s187.photobucket.com/albums/x135/fullbrandt/2012%20falcons/?action=view&current=b70f6f3e.pbw
« Last Edit: June 04, 2012, 22:22 by bev. »

Offline RCF

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #101 on: June 02, 2012, 21:30 »
Radisson feeding her chicks tonight at 9pm  :-*

http://youtu.be/Z-rpNZKFar0

Offline susha

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #100 on: June 02, 2012, 19:24 »
I love how involved the dads are with these birds!  This young dad is so sweet with his attentions!  Thanks for the slide show Bev :)

Offline Elaine L

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #99 on: June 02, 2012, 18:39 »
A second chick hatched about 9:00 this morning.  Our young male was really interested in this, and did not even want to leave the nestbox when Radisson returned.  So, it looks like he realizes he is daddy, and is prepared to help Radisson with incubation.  So far, so good!  (More details on BCAW).

Offline bcbird

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #98 on: June 02, 2012, 16:38 »
What a lot of story in that slide show, Bev.  Great!
So nice to see the male learning.

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #97 on: June 01, 2012, 21:11 »
I forgot to put number of photos but a lot. Hi lights for today , but the turniong point is the male covered the chick. I put start and End on show

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #96 on: June 01, 2012, 20:09 »
Yes, we have a hatch.

I went out to workout and there were still 4 eggs.  came home at 8:15 and I saw a shell but Becky e-mailed me and she saw R push out shell at 8:05am

I do not know if there was a feed. R has been out and M in. He lay beside chick but jsut about an hour ago he came in and covered chick. I am so happy that he finally clicked.
He left suddenly and in came R , with a huge honking bird. She flapped it around a  bit. To see it on live streaming was a hoot. I was afraid she would get chick.
a
She flew out with it and came right back in and is brooding chick. I am assuming male is feathering it  and will bring some, or she will get some
I am going to do a slide show of today and then post last nights post