Author Topic: U of Alberta - 2012 / Chase & Radisson  (Read 30708 times)

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Re: U of Alberta - 2012 / Chase & Radisson
« Reply #95 on: June 01, 2012, 14:17 »
Reports on BCAW that we have a hatch.  Don't know what time.  Bev hopes to get more details soon.
Hip hip hooray! ;D

Offline Elaine L

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #94 on: June 01, 2012, 09:58 »
Reports on BCAW that we have a hatch.  Don't know what time.  Bev hopes to get more details soon.

Offline Elaine L

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #93 on: May 31, 2012, 11:09 »
Radisson is very restless this morning.  No sign of the boy, but I expect he is just out of camera range, as he never seems to be far from where he can see her.  Perhaps a hatching is coming up?

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #92 on: May 30, 2012, 14:01 »
thanks kinderchick. It has taken me a long time to get to this point and  I still shed lots of tears but i am human

report from  form last night

Becky and Jean were with us tonight. We saw nice flying by our male tonight and he was stooping pigeons over by suite hotel and then Radisson came out to help. They both came back empty taloned.

when Peter and i got there, Radisson was on left lip of box and male was on north west corner of Windsor apartments.

It is nice to see him moving to other places now. That means he is feeling more comfortable here. he leoves to soar around.

We know that all will be different this year and will just have to be more watchful.

We all went to second cup for coffee, from where we can see nest box ledge. good place to view from but we decided they need to remove a few trees :egg11:  :egg11:

When we left the male was on right corner of ledge below nest box. We thought he flew over there with a bit of food in talons.

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #91 on: May 29, 2012, 19:49 »
...I have learned a lot this season, and am humbled . but I have grown as a watcher also and I have come to realize that we have our favorites, because we watch and love them, but the most important thing to each site , is we have a good male and female.

We do not forget our dear ones but we move on and make room for another, becasue that is how nature and life is...
Very beautifully put, bev. Thanks for reminding us of these facts of life. :-*

Offline bcbird

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #90 on: May 29, 2012, 19:37 »
Great to see so many pictures!
Thanks for the updates, and philosophy too, Bev.

Congratulations, also,  on the grandchild and wedding.

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #89 on: May 29, 2012, 14:06 »
a few more . male brings in food, R not home so he leaves with it

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #88 on: May 29, 2012, 14:01 »
a few more from May26, when i am shouting sit on the eggs

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #87 on: May 29, 2012, 13:57 »
Thanks Tracy.

We have been so spoiled here with good males and females. and this little guy, will work out I am sure.
Gord adn I have kept in close contact here. I know he is disappointed that the other male is not here. We are hoping he turns up at another site. they are his eggs. Gord rehabbed him at his home for over 2 months last summer.

I have learned a lot this season, and am humbled . but I have grown as a watcher also and I have come to realize that we have our favorites, because we watch and love them, but the most important thing to each site , is we have a good male and female.

We do not forget our dear ones but we move on and make room for another, becasue that is how nature and life is. WoW!!!Is this me speaking :)

I will post more pictures later but msut help with new grandbaby. Weddings and babies.

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #86 on: May 29, 2012, 13:50 »

most are new male

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
« Reply #85 on: May 29, 2012, 13:48 »
Hey Bev,

I agree with Gord (so I should, he's the peregrine whisperer after all  ;)) don't worry about where the male brings food to, so long as food keeps coming.  Some put in a specific location for the female, some bring to the box, some cache a ton, some do not.  Every bird is different and every pair functions differently.  Trey and Princess were very different from Ivy and Princess.

Princess prefers to see the food before she takes it - Ivy brought food tp her when she was incubating.  If he flew by, he'd leave it for her to retrieve and eat and then he would get some quality time with the eggs.  If he arrived at the box with it, she'd take it with her on her way out.  When she wanted food, she'd get up and yell at him before returning to the eggs to await her delivery.  With the kids, he has to bring it all the way to the box, even if it's just for Princess.  Trey never did that, it was food for the kids in the box, food for Princess away from the box.  Ivy almost never eats at the box, even when its extra food the kids don't want and even though of all our peregrines, he likes the box the most - inside and out - he spends more time in the box than any of our other peregrines - male or female.  Madame our previous female never had food in the nestbox or remains in the nestbox - she's who Trey learned his housekeeping behaviour from.

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #84 on: May 29, 2012, 13:37 »
Hi all. Thanks to Elaine for reporting here.

I will start copying my posts from BCATW to here. As this site is home to me also. Been so busy though.

well here is the scoop. RAdisson has indeed been showing the boy the ropes. And TPC, your airfare would have been well worth what we have been seeing.

He finally has the mating down. 'We would just howl , when R assumed the position and he landed beside her. Like now what.
At one  point she went to an antennae , as if to say , you have no where else to land here but in the right place ;) ;). then there was the time he attempted to land on her and slipped off. that was a leg slapper  :)but we felt sorry for him also.

He is slowly learning. The other night when he came over to where R was, she chased him back to box. He mostly roosts on lip of box and he does scrape and he does sniff eggs and the other day, he did lie down by eggs. We have not seen him incubate yet, but i am not always at cam .

He has been bringing in food and as Elaine said, he was bringing it into box and R would go out with out and I am sure show him where she wanted it. Gord, said he did not care where he put it, as long as he kept bringing it.

He came in later than the male in San Jose so he is getting there. We will have to watch clsoely to make sure that when eggs hatch , the chicks are fed well. No worries abut R but we need the food.

Just one thing, as I was reading the posts, when Damon was here , he did equal incubating and feeding. He taught R the ropes . when she first laid eggs it took her awhile to get the incubating down and he did it. He was a great male.  We all called him super male. We were in awe of him.
the one we had for 1.5 years was great also. the first year he was here he did not do as much as they were not his eggs, but the next year he incubated as much as R and was a great provider and caregiver of the young ones.

so we wait and see, and we have been monitoring a lot from ground. We do get a female that comes in but not too much trouble, so far. she i s ushered out. I think she is from the HIgh Level.
there were some times when R was off eggs for a longer time than we would have liked but we will see. It was considered pulling the eggs at one point and putting in dummies and incubate these elsewhere, but I said , wait and see, as she has done a great job.

I am going to see what [picutresI have posted and then post a few. Be right back

TPC
I am one who does know my password and need it to put your forum on new computer.

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #83 on: May 28, 2012, 20:19 »
...well, except for his "eye" for interloping females that come a-calling ...
Haaaaaa!!! Now that made me really laugh, TPC! ;D

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
« Reply #82 on: May 28, 2012, 12:51 »
Yes, she has, Tracy.  And if I remember correctly, she likes to spend most of the time on the eggs and feeding the chicks, so I think that as long as our young fellow brings her food, she will be o.k.  Bev recently commented on BCAW that she thinks Radisson is getting irritated with him.  I think this is because he keeps following her around wherever she goes, when she would prefer that he spend some time incubating.  I am hoping that everything will fall into place for him when the chicks arrive.  This will be a big moment for him!

Following her may irritate her, but he'll learn quicker.  Ivy did exactly the same thing with Princess the first year and she was tough on him but it worked, well, except for his "eye" for interloping females that come a-calling ...

Offline Elaine L

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #81 on: May 28, 2012, 10:25 »
Yes, she has, Tracy.  And if I remember correctly, she likes to spend most of the time on the eggs and feeding the chicks, so I think that as long as our young fellow brings her food, she will be o.k.  Bev recently commented on BCAW that she thinks Radisson is getting irritated with him.  I think this is because he keeps following her around wherever she goes, when she would prefer that he spend some time incubating.  I am hoping that everything will fall into place for him when the chicks arrive.  This will be a big moment for him!