Author Topic: U of Alberta - 2012 / Chase & Radisson  (Read 30689 times)

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
Re: U of Alberta - 2012 / Chase & Radisson
« Reply #80 on: May 27, 2012, 11:01 »
Anyway, he reminds me a bit of Jethro (and if anyone here at this Forum remembers the Beverly Hillbillies, they will know who I am talking about):  young, strong, nice-looking, a cheerful disposition and a willingness to please, but perhaps not the brightest candle on the cake.   

He's sounds a bit like Ivy his first year with Princess too ... he wasn't able to do much with the eggs/chicks until much later (much later in incubation and quite awhile after the chicks hatched).  Interesting considering he'd had two mates and three failed nesting attempts before so he wasn't unfamiliar with the funny oblong things that this lady companions were so enamoured of.  After the first year, he got on the eggs earlier and this year he got on the chicks much much earlier, so given that Radisson isn't unlike her mother, she may just want things a certain way and the boys have got to learn and prove it before it gets easier.  Please correct me if I'm wrong, but Radisson has tended to be the parent who spends the most time in the box in past years - yes?

Offline RCF

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #79 on: May 26, 2012, 19:40 »
Here's a link to the live streaming cam for the nest box.
http://www.ab-conservation.com/go/default/index.cfm/media/peregrine-cam/cam-2-u-of-a/

7:15pm
The unbanded male was in the box and does a little scraping, rolled the eggs but didn't incubate the eggs. Radisson came back about a minute after he left.

Video
- http://youtu.be/vg04mr7O3Lk

Male

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #78 on: May 24, 2012, 13:24 »
... Anyway, he reminds me a bit of Jethro (and if anyone here at this Forum remembers the Beverly Hillbillies, they will know who I am talking about):  young, strong, nice-looking, a cheerful disposition and a willingness to please, but perhaps not the brightest candle on the cake. 
LOL! Yup, I get the analogy, Elaine! ;)

Offline Elaine L

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #77 on: May 24, 2012, 11:05 »
To continue on with our story about the boy here, on the positive side, he may very well be a worthy mate to Radisson; he is a very good provider, and Radisson is certainly happy about this, but again, he just has to learn that not everything he hauls in for the larder can be deposited in the nestbox.  I guess he brought in a huge prey to the nestbox the other day, and Radisson had to let him know that there was not enough room for it there, and that he should put it somewhere else.  And because he is so young he has a short attention span, so although he is very attentive to Radisson for the most part, he forgets his responsibilities and likes to chase birds around just for the fun of it, and Bev says that the biologist is somewhat concerned that he could lose interest in the nest.  Anyway, he reminds me a bit of Jethro (and if anyone here at this Forum remembers the Beverly Hillbillies, they will know who I am talking about):  young, strong, nice-looking, a cheerful disposition and a willingness to please, but perhaps not the brightest candle on the cake.   

Offline bcbird

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #76 on: May 23, 2012, 17:38 »
Thank you for the very interesting report, Elaine!

Radisson often corners him in the nestbox and lectures him on the ins and outs of being a father, and it finally seems to be paying off...

Radisson, as Princess' daughter, has likely impressed the new guy with her inherited dulceticity.

From the Phanatics Dictionary:
DULCETICITY (revised)
Pronunciation:  dull set ih city
Definition:  The characteristic and endearing tonal quality of Princess' calls.
Usage:  Listening to Princess as she gives directions to Ivy, one can easily be overwhelmed by the dulceticity of her vocalization.  By ensuring the volume is set to low while watching the webcam, one can fully appreciate the dulceticity.     
Originator:  Des
Revision:  TPC

Offline dupre501

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #75 on: May 23, 2012, 16:53 »
Just read Elaine L and TPC's postings.

Note to self.... don't start reading new postings on a thread just after you take a drink.

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
« Reply #74 on: May 23, 2012, 16:15 »
Which means that she had to show him what copulation was all about because when she was ready, he didn't know what to do and would just come over and stand beside her, and she had to clue him in. 

The rest I can very easily visualize, but this one I would have paid the airfare to come by and watch!!  :o ;D

Offline Elaine L

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #73 on: May 23, 2012, 16:10 »
Looks like there was a third falcon here last week, a female, but she seems to be gone now.  It is likely that she is the female from down at the High Level Bridge, which is quite close to this site; she was perhaps just checking out the competition.  Anyway, the new male here is apparently very young, from what Bev reports on BCAW, and Radisson has been showing him the ropes.  Which means that she had to show him what copulation was all about because when she was ready, he didn't know what to do and would just come over and stand beside her, and she had to clue him in.  Also, she has been trying to get him to incubate, and he seems to be getting the idea as of today; also, she has been explaining to him very clearly that he must put food in places that are easily accessible to her, not just places that he likes.   Radisson often corners him in the nestbox and lectures him on the ins and outs of being a father, and it finally seems to be paying off; he now seems to realize that he must not just look at the eggs, he must sit on them.  We await further developments.

Offline bcbird

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #72 on: May 17, 2012, 12:47 »
Looks like a calm day at the nestbox.  Parent, assume Radisson, on the eggs.

Offline bcbird

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #71 on: May 13, 2012, 16:24 »
Thanks for  the report Carly.  So glad that Radisson rules the air at her nestbox site!

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #70 on: May 13, 2012, 15:36 »
Bev had a report of 3 falcons on site and she's gone down to see what's going on.  

Radisson has not been seen for awhile but the male has so the intruder may be female and a strange falcon was seen on cam awhile ago that didn't like either Radisson or the male.

Edit: 5:06 pm and Radisson has returned...all is well ..phew.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2012, 16:07 by carly »

Offline Elaine L

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #69 on: May 11, 2012, 16:31 »
Male on top of nestbox again.  He sure likes that spot.  Now that he feels comfortable here, let's hope he takes on some incubating duties.

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #68 on: May 11, 2012, 11:35 »
that was our new male on top of box.

things appear  to be going O.K. We checked again last night adn I have cam up when I am home.

He seems to be doing more and more. He stays close to nestbox(either on netting or clinical science roof. We believe he sashes food there. He has not incubated yet but he is staying with eggs , when R is not there. We believe he is feeding her.

Because I cannot be there or at cam all day, I am taking my cues from R. she does not appear to be stressed and seems to be fed well.
It is cold here so she has to stay with eggs until male assumes some incubating. Hopefully that will come

I will do what I can but I now have a grandbaby knocking at natures door. It will be here early, It is jsut wait and see now so I am needed to help my daughter.

My life is never dull ;) ;)

Offline RCF

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #67 on: May 09, 2012, 20:43 »

Offline bcbird

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #66 on: May 08, 2012, 15:13 »
Thank you, Bev.  You have such great reporting of this site!

Radisson is a favourite with many of us, and the close watch you keep on her nestbox is much appreciated. v