Author Topic: Tower Nest - 2012 / ? & ?  (Read 28369 times)

Offline RCF

• Old Bird
Re: Tower Nest - 2012 / ? & ?
« Reply #84 on: July 02, 2012, 15:31 »
I went back around lunch time today and there were two falcons, each on a different tower.  One of them flew to the north and went into an opening in the wall that cables are coming out, sat and preened then lay down.

Offline RCF

• Old Bird
« Reply #83 on: July 02, 2012, 10:30 »
This morning (9:30) I saw a falcon in the same place as I did on June 27th.  I saw it fly in and land.

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
« Reply #82 on: June 29, 2012, 17:09 »
Well whaddya know. I spotted a peregrine back at the West West Winnipeg spot last night (June 28) at about 7:00 p.m.. S/he was just standing in her/his favoured lookout surveying the world.

If this is the same bird, s/he's sure logging a lot of miles.

Funny how that is,  TPC and Dennis said they didn't see any falcons at the tower yesterday morning. 

It was brutally windy out there yesterday so we weren't all the optimistic of seeing them yesterday though we did try.  Hard to keep binoculars steady and certainly couldn't use Wowzer or the spotting scopes we brought with us.  That much wind we thought the birds would probably tuck down somewhere so we tried to check out every sheltered spot we could find, but no luck.  The keep getting spotted near the raven's nest and if they do have eggs and are incubating, we figured whoever was "on duty" would be flat down in the nest which again would make them impossible to see.  Not sure they will nest as it is so very late in the year - if they were incubating now, their chicks wouldn't fledge until mid-September would make it tough for them come migration.  But you can never be sure so we'll keep looking and watching.

Offline RCF

• Old Bird
« Reply #81 on: June 29, 2012, 09:26 »
Well whaddya know. I spotted a peregrine back at the West West Winnipeg spot last night (June 28) at about 7:00 p.m.. S/he was just standing in her/his favoured lookout surveying the world.

Funny how that is,  TPC and Dennis said they didn't see any falcons at the tower yesterday morning. 

Offline Cooper

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #80 on: June 29, 2012, 09:21 »

Offline RCF

• Old Bird
« Reply #79 on: June 27, 2012, 20:56 »
We didn't see any falcons from the west side and almost didn't spot the birdie from the south side, the one falcon was perched up on the same catwalk facing into the west wind and could see her/his breast feathers blowing.   

Offline RCF

• Old Bird
« Reply #78 on: June 24, 2012, 16:24 »
Checked out here today and saw just the one falcon looking like a sentinel on the catwalk railing where the ravens had nested.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #77 on: June 20, 2012, 22:31 »
...If they do nest this late, say eggs by the end of the first week in July, hatch end of first week in August and fledging in September ... don't know whether to hope they do nest or they don't ...
Would this be a problem, to nest this late in the season? ???

Could be.  Might not be.  Last year they laid late and would have been fine except the site was predated (owls probably), but that wasn't related to the time of the year.  The concern will be that the chicks need to be hunting on their own by the time they have to start migrating, but given our autumns over the last decade, we aren't getting very cold very early anymore.  We'll just have to see what happens.

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #76 on: June 20, 2012, 22:27 »
...If they do nest this late, say eggs by the end of the first week in July, hatch end of first week in August and fledging in September ... don't know whether to hope they do nest or they don't ...
Would this be a problem, to nest this late in the season? ???

Offline RCF

• Old Bird
« Reply #75 on: June 20, 2012, 15:20 »
I never did think this bird was Zeus even back in May.  It just seems to me that he is bigger teircel than Zeus, even from that distance.  I do think it is the same male that was here in May though, but I guess we'll never know without having band numbers.  :-\

Scrolling back through your photos RCF, the male looks like the bird you photographed on June 15th, but not sure he looks like the male you spotted in early May ...

It was very bright that day and everything looked white even the raven's nest. We had no idea if it was male or female and refered to it as he/she, it was hard to tell being so bright.  My guess is that it is the same male that we have been seeing all along.  :)

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #74 on: June 20, 2012, 10:28 »
I never did think this bird was Zeus even back in May.  It just seems to me that he is bigger teircel than Zeus, even from that distance.  I do think it is the same male that was here in May though, but I guess we'll never know without having band numbers.  :-\

Scrolling back through your photos RCF, the male looks like the bird you photographed on June 15th, but not sure he looks like the male you spotted in early May ...

Offline RCF

• Old Bird
« Reply #73 on: June 20, 2012, 08:45 »

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #72 on: June 20, 2012, 02:44 »
Just had a look at some Zeus facial markings and I'm inclined to think it is not Zeus at least from the nice clear shot of the male's head in RCF's photo - the cheek patch is so perfectly rounded with clear margins, Zeus has a little "bobble" along the trailing edge on the right side of face ... could be wrong, would like to see him back ...

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #71 on: June 20, 2012, 02:38 »
Both

Great photos but will have to look closer at the male to hazard even a tenuous guess, particularly since Zeus would be 17 years old which is more than senior citizen for a peregrine, so more likely its a new bird, but he looks nice.  The female however, she has alot of brown showing, which was Alice's calling card last year ....

If they do nest this late, say eggs by the end of the first week in July, hatch end of first week in August and fledging in September ... don't know whether to hope they do nest or they don't ...

Offline RCF

• Old Bird
« Reply #70 on: June 19, 2012, 22:11 »
Does this pair resemble the pair that we saw on May 5th?

Link to pics I took May 5th
http://www.species-at-risk.mb.ca/projects/pfrp/forum/programs/index.php/topic,3047.msg84661.html#msg84661