Author Topic: Tower Nest - 2012 / ? & ?  (Read 28388 times)

Offline Cooper

• Phanatic
  • Chick
Re: Tower Nest - 2012 / ? & ?
« Reply #39 on: June 01, 2012, 09:03 »
Well, a little update:
Large peregrine (wouldn't swear it was the same one) was back at the west west haunt last night (May 31). I watched her/him for about 10 minutes at around 8:00 p.m.

He/she was behaving rather curiously in my opinion. She kept circling low over the building, kept landing (or trying to) on an odd part of the building only to immediately take off. He/She would fly almost up to her usually perch, yet not land there (almost as if she couldn't quite make it) and let herself fall away, only to do the same thing again. Maybe it was someone new looking Alice?

Offline Cooper

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #38 on: May 29, 2012, 10:57 »
I should correct myself, it was actually Saturday the 19th the last time I saw her. Definitely her in her hugeness - looked like a sphinx guarding her building! The day before I saw her on the same building with ANOTHER bird! I was so excited (although I could not say for certain that it was a peregrine due to the angle of my view, but I figured there'd be no way she let another bird sit on the same building). Then as I say I saw her on Saturday and haven't seen her since. I was rather hoping that it was because she and the other fellow had gone off to nest/incubate at some place hidden from my view. I guess not now, but maybe that other fellow is in Brandon with her...hope, hope.

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
« Reply #37 on: May 29, 2012, 08:49 »
Hmmmm, very interesting. Is it Alice, do you think? Coincidentally, I have not seen the bird (who may or may not have been Alice) at her west west Winnipeg haunts since May 20. Prior to that I'd seen her everyday, sometimes several times a day.

That's I believe anyone's last sighting of her Cooper.  Dan in Brandon spotted a bird a couple of days later hunting along the river but no way to be able to tell if it was her or one of a number of other birds (tundra and anatum) going through the area at the time (there was a bit of a wave).  The question was, will a bird come back to the site, or rather will a bird or birds come back to the site and stay at the site.  First pair didn't, now we have a bird who needs a "main squeeze" and then hopefully nature will take its course with more success than last year.

Offline Cooper

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #36 on: May 29, 2012, 08:42 »
Hmmmm, very interesting. Is it Alice, do you think? Coincidentally, I have not seen the bird (who may or may not have been Alice) at her west west Winnipeg haunts since May 20. Prior to that I'd seen her everyday, sometimes several times a day.

Offline RCF

• Old Bird
« Reply #35 on: May 28, 2012, 20:42 »
A falcon in the Tower Nest vicinity! :o That's great news, RCF! Must mean there is another one around - right? :-\

I don't know if there is another falcon in the vicinity, we only saw the one at the Tower.  She, because it was a bigger bird, sat and preened on the railing the whole time we were there.  ;D

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #34 on: May 28, 2012, 20:16 »
A falcon in the Tower Nest vicinity! :o That's great news, RCF! Must mean there is another one around - right? :-\

Offline RCF

• Old Bird
« Reply #33 on: May 28, 2012, 16:45 »
Rose and I went to replace her marigolds that the cutworm ate today and we were in the vicinity of the tower, so we went and looked. We only saw the one falcon in the forty minutes we were there.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #32 on: May 28, 2012, 15:21 »
RCF & Rose may have some news a bit later ...  ;D

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #31 on: May 19, 2012, 15:09 »
Any more news about these birds? Are they still in the territory? ???

Nope, the pair that was there having pitched battles with the ravens nesting there appear to have headed out to parts unknown.  No one ever got close enough to be able to identify exactly who they were but RCF got the closest and from what I've seen, she's quite right that the male was not Zeus and because we had reports of a large female out beyond West Winnipeg, the female wasn't Alice either.  Looking at last year's dates however, Alice arrived in Winnipeg about this same time last year and then left for Brandon after a couple/three weeks.  We may stop seeing this large female in WWW and she might (if she is Alice) turn up shortly at the Tower site.  Stranger things have happened.

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #30 on: May 19, 2012, 13:30 »
Any more news about these birds? Are they still in the territory? ???

Offline RCF

• Old Bird
« Reply #29 on: May 05, 2012, 21:15 »
Wow that is just a longggg ways off and no chance to get a ID from that distance...sure is nice to see the birds. Thanks a bunch for your photos and up-dates RCF...great stuff  ;)

No, that's for sure no ID from me!!  What I need is a WOWSER and a block closer!!  ;D   I think the male is new and not Zeus from last year, he seems to be a bigger tiercel.

Offline photosbydennis

• Project
  • Old Bird
    • www.pbase.com/photosbydennis
« Reply #28 on: May 05, 2012, 21:06 »
Wow that is just a longggg ways off and no chance to get a ID from that distance...sure is nice to see the birds. Thanks a bunch for your photos and up-dates RCF...great stuff  ;)

Offline RCF

• Old Bird
« Reply #27 on: May 05, 2012, 20:56 »
I went and checked on the pair of falcons out here this evening.

Female

Male
« Last Edit: May 05, 2012, 21:02 by Rapidcitymbfan »

Offline BirdLover

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #26 on: May 04, 2012, 21:51 »
So happy to hear of this pair settling in Brandon.  Wish I was there to keep an eye on them also.  Mebbe a trip home is in order?  ;)

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #25 on: May 02, 2012, 21:20 »
Oh wow, that's awesome, to hear that another pair has arrived back! :D I was beginning to think they mightn't make it, at this late date. Oh me, of little faith. ::) :-[