Author Topic: Tower Nest - 2012 / ? & ?  (Read 26175 times)

Offline RCF

• Old Bird
Re: Tower Nest - 2012 / ? & ?
« Reply #99 on: August 25, 2012, 15:03 »
There are still two falcons out at the Tower site. Today we saw one perched on the smokestack catwalk railing and one flying.  :)

« Last Edit: August 25, 2012, 15:25 by RCF »

Offline RCF

• Old Bird
« Reply #98 on: August 05, 2012, 15:55 »
Rose and I saw two falcons yesterday, one was sitting in/on the edge of the raven's nest, then the other one flew in briefly and then went and perched on a lower building. I checked today and only saw the one falcon who flew to the south with a very small bird chasing and dive bombing it.

Yesterday

Today

Offline allikat

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #97 on: July 29, 2012, 21:38 »
Great spottin' RCF!!!  Who is that visitor??

Offline RCF

• Old Bird
« Reply #96 on: July 21, 2012, 16:38 »
There was a falcon on the lower catwalk on the north tower today and I didn't see anybody in the cubby hole. :)

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
« Reply #95 on: July 14, 2012, 11:19 »
I saw one falcon yesterday hanging out in the cubby hole on the north side.  :)

They (or at least this bird/birds) do seem to like that spot, so we are going to look at tweaking it before next spring ...

Offline RCF

• Old Bird
« Reply #94 on: July 13, 2012, 18:36 »
I saw one falcon yesterday hanging out in the cubby hole on the north side.  :)

Offline BirdLover

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #93 on: July 11, 2012, 09:37 »
Thank you for the info, TPC!  It did appear more like a drainage of some sort, but after zooming in still wasn't sure. Still wondering if it is just a water drain or what, just in case they bite into it.

Sorry I don't quite understand, but what is the concern there when a parent leaves the eggs? Could you possibly mean predators in the area, or is it that the eggs need some stones or a higher edge perhaps?

Also, IF you do want them to nest there, wouldn't you want to prepare the opening with a stone base before they return next year, so they can make a scrape.

The adults have their feet under the eggs and on a flat surface when they pull their feet out from under, the eggs roll into the sides, back or off the edge.  That is one of the reasons they build bowl-shaped scrapes in whatever material is on their chosen ledge.  We are looking at a modified tray that would let us add gravel and have drainage and still be big enough for the peregrines to get in and out of and for up to 4 growing chicks.  We have ideas that we hope to flesh out in the next couple of months so that we can have something in place before next spring.

That is so exciting to hear, TPC.  Another nest in Manitoba would be marvelous!   :D

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #92 on: July 10, 2012, 23:41 »
Thank you for the info, TPC!  It did appear more like a drainage of some sort, but after zooming in still wasn't sure. Still wondering if it is just a water drain or what, just in case they bite into it.

Sorry I don't quite understand, but what is the concern there when a parent leaves the eggs? Could you possibly mean predators in the area, or is it that the eggs need some stones or a higher edge perhaps?

Also, IF you do want them to nest there, wouldn't you want to prepare the opening with a stone base before they return next year, so they can make a scrape.

The adults have their feet under the eggs and on a flat surface when they pull their feet out from under, the eggs roll into the sides, back or off the edge.  That is one of the reasons they build bowl-shaped scrapes in whatever material is on their chosen ledge.  We are looking at a modified tray that would let us add gravel and have drainage and still be big enough for the peregrines to get in and out of and for up to 4 growing chicks.  We have ideas that we hope to flesh out in the next couple of months so that we can have something in place before next spring.

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #91 on: July 10, 2012, 22:41 »

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #90 on: July 10, 2012, 21:19 »
Thank you for sharing these very interesting photos RCF!  8)

The “opening in the wall that cables are coming out” reminded me of a similar size opening in a wall which is successfully occupied by the Niagara Falls falcons.  ;)

Do you happen to know what kind of cable is running through this opening? I find it difficult to tell from a pic, especially without being able to see what the cable actually leads to. Perhaps electrical, or possibly a drain of some kind?  Just curious if this cable may cause any problems should they decide to nest there.  ???

Its not a cable it's a drainage tube.  As for problems, the opening as it is is more of a problem, there is now protection for the eggs when an adult "leaves".  We've already thought of ways we can upgrade it a bit if they are interested again next year.

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #89 on: July 10, 2012, 00:24 »
Thank you for sharing these very interesting photos RCF!  8)

The “opening in the wall that cables are coming out” reminded me of a similar size opening in a wall which is successfully occupied by the Niagara Falls falcons.  ;)

Do you happen to know what kind of cable is running through this opening? I find it difficult to tell from a pic, especially without being able to see what the cable actually leads to. Perhaps electrical, or possibly a drain of some kind?  Just curious if this cable may cause any problems should they decide to nest there.  ???

Offline RCF

• Old Bird
« Reply #88 on: July 04, 2012, 22:18 »
When I was in Brandon this evening I checked on these two.  I only saw the one and there was no one in the opening on the north side.

Offline birdcamfan

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #87 on: July 03, 2012, 16:11 »
I hope they are just "playing house" and next year they will be ready for a family! It seems so late to be thinking about getting broody.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #86 on: July 03, 2012, 08:33 »
I went back around lunch time today and there were two falcons, each on a different tower.  One of them flew to the north and went into an opening in the wall that cables are coming out, sat and preened then lay down.

Of the "openings" they chose, that one from our perspective is the best one they could have chosen  ;)
No idea if they are going to nest, or just trying to find cool places to hideout in this heat - the bottom of that opening is metal so it would be cooler ...

Offline BirdLover

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #85 on: July 02, 2012, 21:43 »
Very interesting   8)