Author Topic: West Winnipeg - 2012 / Beau & Jules  (Read 58193 times)

Offline des

• Phanatic
  • Chick
Re: West Winnipeg - 2012 / July
« Reply #320 on: July 18, 2012, 23:15 »
I'm still picturing a pack of peregrines...

Offline Saoirse

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #319 on: July 18, 2012, 23:08 »
TPC, it sounds as though you had an eventful time with the West Winnipeg chicks! Maybe some hazard pay would be in line???  ::)  Seriously, though, obviously these are healthy, thriving birds and it'll be great to see some photos of them when Dennis has time.

Offline sami

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #318 on: July 18, 2012, 22:34 »

They are wonderful looking birds though and they have had space to exercise their wings and fly short distances so we are optimistic that they will fledge (knock on wood) without incident - so long as they don't forget where dinner is served!

Do peregrines ever forget where dinner is served?

Offline noellat

• Past Member
  • Hatchling
« Reply #317 on: July 18, 2012, 22:30 »
I was wondering the same thing Kinderchick.  Also can anyone tell me if Jules and Beau would recognize the chicks if they saw them.

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #316 on: July 18, 2012, 20:51 »
...We have put coloured tape on these chicks as well but on their right legs so if they turn up in town, we can ID them quickly as not Radisson birds...
So glad to hear that all of the WW chicks are doing well, TPC! :D But sorry to hear of your injuries. :( Was just wondering, though, do you think that any of them might attempt to fly back into the city and relocate themselves at their original nesting sight? ???

Offline dupre501

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #315 on: July 18, 2012, 20:41 »
TPC, thank you so much for the colourful update on the chicks. Sound like they were even more aggressive than the rescued female Radisson chick (2 years ago?) Aurora/Cali.

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
« Reply #314 on: July 18, 2012, 18:59 »
The West Winnipeg chicks are huge!  Well, the females are and the male is Trey-size which is nice.  Attitudinal however - male chick tried to eat through the glove I was wearing to catch him up.  Didn't make it through the leather but darn near and I fear I shall have a couple of bruises on the back of my hand tomorrow.  The females psyched us out - one minute one was calm (for a peregrine) and the other one was trying do physical damage to me.  Then it would switch.  Good thing peregrines don't live in packs, this pack would be seriously dangerous.  They haven't fledged yet but they will go when they want to - nothing in their way and they will have food waiting for them whenever they want it at this location. 

We do have some photos though we needed Dennis' hands frequently so not as many as he could have got.  No flight shots, but some nice shots nonetheless.  And no, they won't be ready tonight but I suspect by the end of the weekend, Dennis will have had an opportunity to go through his photo collection.

Still missing one name so will hold off until I have it.  We have put coloured tape on these chicks as well but on their right legs so if they turn up in town, we can ID them quickly as not Radisson birds. 

They are wonderful looking birds though and they have had space to exercise their wings and fly short distances so we are optimistic that they will fledge (knock on wood) without incident - so long as they don't forget where dinner is served!

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #313 on: July 18, 2012, 10:40 »
Thanks for the update, TPC. Hope all goes well with the banding later today. Looking forward to seeing a few photos, if you or Dennis are able to snap any. :)

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #312 on: July 18, 2012, 10:20 »
??? Have been wondering if there is any news to report on the chicks. Hope all is well.  :)

Hoping to get them banded and ready for release later today.  Will post information when I have it later.  :)
And photos too!

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #311 on: July 18, 2012, 08:56 »
 ??? Have been wondering if there is any news to report on the chicks. Hope all is well.  :)

Offline dupre501

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #310 on: July 17, 2012, 20:06 »
6:00 p.m. - Jules at the Tower
6:20 p.m. - Beau and Jules at the Tower

Offline dupre501

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #309 on: July 16, 2012, 12:47 »
Yesterday evening we went for a drive between 7:30 and 8:00. We only spotted one bird at the Bleachers, I suspect it was Jules as it was one of her "spots".

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #308 on: July 15, 2012, 22:33 »
I wonder if other southern Manitoba raptors had plumper and faster-developing young this year?  Not really expecting an answer, just thinking about it.

Couldn't say, though there are a ton of merlins and American Kestrel's fledging at the moment.  Seems later to me than usual, but don't quote me on it, I just don't know for sure ...

Offline des

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #307 on: July 15, 2012, 22:21 »
I wonder if other southern Manitoba raptors had plumper and faster-developing young this year?  Not really expecting an answer, just thinking about it.

Offline Stormy

• Phanatic
  • Hatchling
« Reply #306 on: July 15, 2012, 16:27 »
Sorry they( Beau & Jules ) raised 3 chicks that all fledged in 2010

Now it's coming back to me . . . not really . . .  :-\   ::)  But, good to know they had a good "batch" at least.  Yes, need to get them back at the safe site!