Author Topic: McKenzie Seeds - 2009 / Zeus & Hurricane  (Read 67177 times)

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
McKenzie Seeds - 2009 / August
« Reply #743 on: August 06, 2009, 13:17 »
Thank you TPC . But what's a hack site?

It probably helps to give you a bit of information on hacking so that you understand what hacking is all about ....

In the beginning of the recovery projects, we didn't have nesting pairs rather we were releasing captive-bred chicks from secure locations across the country - hack sites.  We would get the chicks at about 40 days of age, they would go into a hack box (think playpen with a roof) and we would anonymously feed the chicks for about a week.  After 7-10 days, we would take the bars off the box and since by this time the chicks (both/all genders) were older than fledge age, most shot out of the box and immediately fledged.  By keeping the chicks in the hack box for such a relatively long time it imprinted the location on the chicks and let them become use to a larger world than they were familiar with coming from a breeding facility.  As a result, we could continue to anonymously (that's another story) feed the chicks and to keep an eye on them as they tended to return to the building where the hackbox was located in the same way that the Radisson chicks return to the Hotel in the first couple of weeks after fledging.  The hacked birds developed the same way their wild cousins do, just without an adult to provide some of the finer points of flight operations and protein acquisition.  But the chicks are hardwired to do these things so starting 2-3 weeks after fledging, less of the food we provided would be eaten until finally it wasn't eaten at all and then the chicks were on their own. 

And for those of you who are squeamish about "dead bird parts", takes about 3 days on duty as an hack site attendant to get over that condition  :D

Offline BirdLover

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #742 on: August 06, 2009, 12:25 »
We have three girls and a boy here bev.  I am planning on going down later in the evening today to see if I can catch sight of them all bedding down for the night.

I'll say it's been a successful year  :o  Seven chicks in MB alone that we know of!!!

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #741 on: August 06, 2009, 11:14 »
I do not have time to look back on all the posts.
sorry I have not kept up here but was so busy at Edmonton site.

How many males and females again.
Glad they are all doing well. I like to go down in the evening where I can see the skills and see them tuck in (at Edmonton site)

If you watch ,you will see where yours spend the night.
I think this year has been a success all around as there seems to be somany more taking part in the observations on the ground of the falcons.   :) :-* :-*

Offline Rose

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #740 on: August 06, 2009, 08:38 »
Question for TPC. When and how did the McKenzie nest get started? People keep asking and I don't have any real answers,it would be nice to be able to tell them.  :)  

The McKenzie Seeds Building was used initially in 1990 as a hack site but the nestbox was installed on the building as well since it was such a perfect location for peregrines.  The first wild nest was in 1993 when they had one female chick and then they added a male captive-bred foster chick.  After that we pretty much had 4 chicks every year, give or take a couple of years with only 3!  We have had 5 pairs in Brandon I believe ... Mufasa & B1, Mufasa & Phoebe (our big producers), Zeus & Holly, Screech & Holly (no slouches in the producing department either) and now Zeus & Hurricane.  I think that was all of them but will check to be sure ...
Thank you TPC . But what's a hack site?

Offline Shocka88

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #739 on: August 06, 2009, 01:37 »
I'm back from holidays and caught up on all the "reading". Glad that the Brandon chicks took to the air without a hitch. Thanks to everyone for the updates.

Thanks to BL for meeting me at the parkade way back on the 19th before the chicks had fledged. It was wonderful to see and hear them in person.......indescribable!! I felt sooo fortunate.

Offline BirdLover

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #738 on: August 05, 2009, 20:45 »
Only one kid holding down the fort tonight!  It is so beautiful here that the others were probably off hunting or playing.  The one that was there was rather large so am thinking it's one of the girls.

She did a little bit of soaring around the McK building and was keeping those stoopid pigeons on their toes.  Other than that, very quiet.  Except for the concert in the park  ;D

Offline RCF

• Old Bird
« Reply #737 on: August 05, 2009, 17:45 »
Quote from: The Peregrine Chick
Here's the image you were trying for ... TPC 

Thank you Tracy
« Last Edit: August 06, 2009, 13:04 by The Peregrine Chick »

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
« Reply #736 on: August 05, 2009, 14:10 »
Question for TPC. When and how did the McKenzie nest get started? People keep asking and I don't have any real answers,it would be nice to be able to tell them.  :)  

The McKenzie Seeds Building was used initially in 1990 as a hack site but the nestbox was installed on the building as well since it was such a perfect location for peregrines.  The first wild nest was in 1993 when they had one female chick and then they added a male captive-bred foster chick.  After that we pretty much had 4 chicks every year, give or take a couple of years with only 3!  We have had 5 pairs in Brandon I believe ... Mufasa & B1, Mufasa & Phoebe (our big producers), Zeus & Holly, Screech & Holly (no slouches in the producing department either) and now Zeus & Hurricane.  I think that was all of them but will check to be sure ...

Offline Rose

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #735 on: August 05, 2009, 13:22 »
Great report Rose, has the dopey grin left your face yet?

Still got it bccs! sights like this make me very envious of the falcons.

Offline Rose

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #734 on: August 05, 2009, 13:19 »
Rose, you sure had a good morning -- how great to see the kids flying like that, especially with Zeus involved, too. Experiences like that make all the "didn't see a thing" visits worthwhile, don't they???
They sure do!! and I've had a few no sees in the last few weeks

Offline bccs

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #733 on: August 05, 2009, 12:02 »
Great report Rose, has the dopey grin left your face yet?

Offline Saoirse

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #732 on: August 05, 2009, 12:02 »
Rose, you sure had a good morning -- how great to see the kids flying like that, especially with Zeus involved, too. Experiences like that make all the "didn't see a thing" visits worthwhile, don't they???

Offline Rose

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #731 on: August 05, 2009, 11:59 »
  ;D  ;D ;D Just got back from down town, the kids were playing tag ,twisting ,turning,diving and lots of touching talons. zeus even joined in and the kids were doing a good job of keeping up with him. Didn't see Hurricane and it was hard to see if there were 4 kids because they kept landing and taking off. Now they seem to like the lights above the clock on the west and north side so you can't see them from the parkade but I'm sure they were all there.

Offline Rose

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #730 on: August 05, 2009, 08:51 »

Offline BirdLover

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #729 on: August 04, 2009, 18:38 »
And that green ledge on the front of the McK main building is the one I have been talking about.  Zeus stashes food at the far left cubby  (you can't tell that they are cubbies).  They sit on either end and prepare food.