Author Topic: Rain and Rosser  (Read 2114 times)

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Re: Rain and Rosser
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2012, 14:13 »
 :) Thank you so very much, Rose and TPC. Anticipation building. The phanatics are awaiting the return of our phalcons.  :-* 

Online The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2012, 13:24 »
Rose is correct, one of the Brandon boys transmitter cut out on the way south near/in Arkansas.  But it just stopped working all of a sudden rather than the bird stopped working (died) and the transmitter continued to broadcast until the battery was depleted.  Transmitters are notorious for dying but occasionally they do kick back on after being "off" but not often. 

As for the other Brandon male, his transmitter also stopped working about a month and a bit ago now but he had been in one area in southern Texas for a couple of weeks and then it suddenly cut out.  Its a common area for young peregrines at that time of the year - in fact Vesper was only a couple of hundred kms north of the Brandon chick's location at this same time last year - so sort of a staging area for at least some of our birds it seems.  Searchers when out and couldn't find anything (and they should have been able to) so again, its very likely its the transmitter and not the peregrine. 

I have posted a note to the Midwest coordinators about all the birds with transmitters (ours and the captive-bred ones) so if a birder should spot a bird on migration with a backpack, we should get notified hopefully fairly quickly.

Offline Rose

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2012, 15:56 »
I understood that one transmitter (Brandon chick) had stopped working October??  someplace in Arkansas (see TPC's post  for October 19th). Did it start working again? I can't find a post that it had.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2012, 16:02 by Rose »

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2012, 12:43 »
Hello TPC, Anticipation growing. Is there a possiblility that Rain and Rosser will be sending transmission if they are  returning to or near their birthplace?

Online The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2011, 00:31 »
TPC, has there been any information about Rain and Rosser's location through their transmitters? I have often wondered how far they go before they can no longer be tracked.  ???

Haven't had any updates in the last little while which probably means they aren't moving much - which is normal, they get where they are going and then tend to stay pretty much in the same area until its time to start working their way back north.

As for how far they can go - so long as the transmitter is still working, they are trackable wherever they travel.  In the case of our birds, I think that is pretty much anywhere in the Western Hemisphere.  I haven't asked what are the limits of the satellites coverage, but when I get a chance, I will and I'll post it here.

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Rain and Rosser
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2011, 04:32 »
TPC, has there been any information about Rain and Rosser's location through their transmitters? I have often wondered how far they go before they can no longer be tracked.  ???