Author Topic: Delta Marsh Field Station - Closed for Good  (Read 2314 times)

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Re: Delta Marsh Field Station - Closed for Good
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2011, 17:33 »
Yes, this is indeed a very sad day for field research in Manitoba. :( There has been talk of closing down the Delta Marsh for some time now, but I didn't think it would actually happen. While driving home from work today, I listened to a very interesting radio interview on CBC with a field station researcher. The situation really is too bad.  >:(

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
Delta Marsh Field Station - Closed for Good
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2011, 15:32 »
A sad day for field research in Manitoba

http://myuminfo.umanitoba.ca/index.asp?sec=2&too=100&dat=11/25/2011&sta=3&wee=4&eve=8&npa=27366

Over the last couple of years the University has appeared to be downsizing and trying to close the station for reasons that aren't really clear or not communicated to the public.  It appears as though the floods of 2011 have provided them with the perfect reason to close it for good. 

I am biased on this subject I'm afraid.  I've visited, taken courses and worked at both the field stations at Delta Marsh at times over the last 20 years and I believe the work being done there is invaluable for wetlands, the lakes, for biodiversity and for Manitobans as a whole.  Perhaps some of the people at the University tasked with making this decision did honestly and earnestly try to find a solution but the history of decisions related to the Field Station taken by the University over the last couple of years have not been, let's say, impressive.