Author Topic: American Goldfinch - California / Gordon & Goldie  (Read 9250 times)

Offline Saoirse

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Re: American Goldfinch - California / Gordon & Goldie (2011)
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2011, 11:03 »
My mother, who lives about 150 km from the city, has a couple of finch feeders in her yard (always filled with nyger seed because, as you say BCF, they have no use for any of the other seeds). Anyway, the finches are around a lot but, as soon as the real heat arrives, it seems that they vanish into the bush and you don't see anything of them for several weeks. Once the temperatures cool, back they come! I love them -- just like flashes of sunshine darting around the green yard.

Offline MayShowers

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2011, 11:03 »
Oh isn't she a gem! Thank you.
She is just adorable.  Thanks cadria :)

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2011, 09:36 »
Kinderchick,
Do you have a nyger seed feeder?  Put one of those up and they will stick around!  They LOVE nyger seed.
Yes, cadria, we do have a Nyger seed feeder, which we have had for several years, but still the goldfinches don't stick around for long. :(

...Just a work of warning, niger is a thistle so try to keep the feeders away from your gardens or you'll be pulling weeds like crazy!
Thanks for the warning about Nyger seed, bcf. I didn't know it was a thistle. We don't have the feeder hanging anywhere near our gardens, though. But I suppose the seeds could be easily transported by either the birds or the wind. :P

Offline birdcamfan

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2011, 06:11 »
We have a lot of mixed feeders out at Winnipeg Beach and there are hundreds of "prairie canaries" out there. They pick out the niger seed and throw the rest on the ground where other birds clean up. Just a work of warning, niger is a thistle so try to keep the feeders away from your gardens or you'll be pulling weeds like crazy!

Offline cadria

• Past Member
  • Chick
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2011, 00:32 »
Kinderchick,

Do you have a nyger seed feeder?  Put one of those up and they will stick around!  They LOVE nyger seed. 

Glad you all like it. :)  She is gorgeous.

Where does it say CA?   ??? ???

Offline susha

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2011, 22:01 »
OMG!  The commercials before the cam are hilarious - I can't believe they're serious commercials!

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2011, 21:53 »
Thanks for the link, cadria. :-* We always get a pair of American Goldfinches at our backyard feeder about the middle of June. They seem to just drop in for about 2 days, on their way to somewhere else. They also stop by for a day or 2 in the fall on their way south for the winter. Wish they would stay longer. :)

Offline susha

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2011, 21:39 »
It says Northern California, Cadria ;)

Thanks for the link.  Very pretty bird.  I'm looking forward to seeing the chicks when they hatch.  it's always interesting to see the differences and the similarities with the different types of birds.  I've gotten a lot of viewing pleasure from Phoebe's Hummingbird nest, also in California.  

Offline birdcamfan

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2011, 21:36 »
Oh isn't she a gem! Thank you.

Offline cadria

• Past Member
  • Chick
American Goldfinch - California / Gordon & Goldie
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2011, 19:48 »
I'm not sure where this camera is as it doesn't say (not that I can see) but am thinking it is in the U.S.  She has 5 eggs. :)

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/american-goldfinch

Uploaded with ImageShack.us