Author Topic: 2011 - Kinderchicklets / Have they eaten a duck yet?  (Read 1692 times)

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
Re: Have they eaten a duck yet?
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2011, 23:01 »
Morning Chicklets,

I have seen the peregrines eating a duck, lots of different kinds of ducks and shorebirds in fact.  Ducks are bigger so they are hard to carry all the way back the nestsite, so its the kind of food that Ivy and Princess will eat but they don't feed them to the chicks.  Shorebirds are smaller so they do bring those back to the nestbox along with pigeons and other birds that live in the city.  When the chicks are much bigger and flying and hunting on their own, they will catch ducks too but until then the chicks will have to wait and eat something else!

The Peregrine Chick

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
2011 - Kinderchicklets / Have they eaten a duck yet?
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2011, 21:17 »
The Kinderchicklets have been able to see Princess and/or Ivy with their chicks almost every other day now, Tracy, so they are pretty pleased about that! ;D In fact, they were lucky enough to see chick #2 hatching right before their eyes, while they were at school last week. We have even managed to catch sight of a few morning feedings. :D These feedings usually seem to occur right as the first bell rings and the 'chicklets are just coming into school. So I turn on the digital projector as they are entering the classroom and it certainly is a good incentive to encourage them to quickly get their jackets and rain boots off, if they want to see a feeding! ;)

This morning, one of the 'chicklets particularly wanted me to ask you if you have ever seen them eating a duck, so there you have it, another question. :) I am usually not able to identify what type of bird that they are eating, since it is always torn apart by the time it is brought into the nestbox. I have explained about pigeons (Kraft Dinner) and Duck (steak & lobster) to the 'chicklets, though and they thought that was pretty funny. ;) But I just thought that maybe, just occasionally, you might be able to identify the meals, since you do have your handy, dandy spy camera, which the 'chicklets also think is pretty cool. 8)