Author Topic: Keeping Track of Bands  (Read 7660 times)

Offline bcbird

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Re: Keeping Track of Bands
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2011, 17:49 »
I first posted this over in the Genesee site, but then thought this is perhaps a better place?

I'm wondering do adult peregrines get banded when they come in to a rehab shelter?
The info of birth date and place wouldn't be known, but do banding records allow for rehab and recovery information on a previously nonbanded adult?

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2011, 16:54 »
I have a further question re banding. Are you sent the band numbers that you need each year when you know the number of birds to be banded or are you given a certain number of bands that you use up and when they are all used you get some more?

No, banders are responsible for maintaining their band supplies and recording/reporting their bands to the appropriate authorities.  As for the numbers, we have no control over the band numbers of either type of bands, they are managed at a federal (Canada/US) level.

Offline Elaine L

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2011, 16:31 »
When I was working at the Wildlife Rehab Centre, they did band any bird that came in without a band, and they kept records on everything, from arrival to release, death or euthanasia.  If the bird was banded, they passed on this information to the proper authorities.

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2011, 15:39 »
... We don't breed birds in captivity and release them so our birds are wild-hatched...
Okay, that's what I thought, but wasn't absolutely sure. Thanks. :)

Offline Rose

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2011, 15:35 »
Thank you for answering both questions, I'm not good at family trees my hubbie is the expert but I should have seen the Pheobe line. I have a further question re banding. Are you sent the band numbers that you need each year when you know the number of birds to be banded or are you given a certain number of bands that you use up and when they are all used you get some more?

As for our nest box being a wild nest we always emphasize to any one we speak to that these are wild birds that just live in the city like any other birds that nest here  ( we have lots of people stop and talk to a funny old and funny middle aged lady with binos  ;D ;D and some people avoid us too) ::) We don't care and just enjoy the falcons :)

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2011, 15:10 »
...Black means wild-hatched, red means captive-bred and released...

So, are our peregrine falcons in the nestboxes here in Manitoba considered "wild-hatched"? :-\ They don't live on a rock cliff in the wild, but is a nestbox on a building in a city considered to be "in the wild"? I know this may sound like a pretty basic question, but I'm really not sure so thought I'd just take a risk and put it out there. :-[

This is where webcams and educational activities like ours are problematic.  Because we keep a close eye on our birds, people often assume that because we are watching them the birds aren't wild.  There are only two technical definitions: wild-hatched or captive-bred.  We don't breed birds in captivity and release them so our birds are wild-hatched.  Its also why lots of projects don't interfere when life goes bad for the birds - they are wild and they are living a wild life.   Like Cowboy's and Kate's egg ... we just left it there so as not to interfere with them and whatever they decide to do next.

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2011, 14:07 »
...Black means wild-hatched, red means captive-bred and released...

So, are our peregrine falcons in the nestboxes here in Manitoba considered "wild-hatched"? :-\ They don't live on a rock cliff in the wild, but is a nestbox on a building in a city considered to be "in the wild"? I know this may sound like a pretty basic question, but I'm really not sure so thought I'd just take a risk and put it out there. :-[

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2011, 13:39 »
1: tried to trace Brooklyns connection to Trey but not smart enough to find it. Hurricanes is easy.(in my family my hubbie is the genealogy freak LOL)

The closest connection is through Phoebe ... who is Phoebe you ask?  Phoebe is Brooklyn's grandma ( McKenzie Seeds Family Tree ) and Trey's aunt ( Radisson Hotel Family Tree )

2: Can you explain the banding numbers,colour of bands and what info is on the opposite band from numbered band and how you arrived at an organized system? My somewhat organized mind would liketo know :) Thank you. :-*

There are two bands, one for reading easily, the other for the official FWS/CWS banding records for North America. 

The readable band is the coloured band and there are currently four colour combinations - black, red, black over green and black over red.  Black means wild-hatched, red means captive-bred and released - those are the bands we have been using here in Manitoba since 1981.  In the US and some parts of eastern Canada, they have included black over green and black over red for wild-hatched birds simply because of the number of pairs and chicks.

The FWS/CWS band is an alumnium band, most are silver though some are now a pink anondized aluminium don't know why the colour, might just last longer or be easier to read when banding.  This band has an unique 9 digit code that is basically the birds "name" in the band records - there are no duplications. 

When we band we record both band numbers and they are both reported/recorded in the official record provincially and federally (the US and Canada co-manage the federal database) and on some other externally-managed regional databases.

Offline Sue

• Phanatic
  • Hatchling
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2011, 09:29 »
I was looking at the Canadian Peregrine Foundation website and noted the description of the 3 sub-species of peregrines in North America. I was wondering if they interbreed and which one(s) our local pairs fall into.

Offline Rose

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
Keeping Track of Bands
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2011, 08:12 »
Have 2 quetions
 1: tried to trace Brooklyns connection to Trey but not smart enough to find it. Hurricanes is easy.(in my family my hubbie is the genealogy freak LOL)
 2: Can you explain the banding numbers,colour of bands and what info is on the opposite band from numbered band and how you arrived at an organized system? My somewhat organized mind would liketo know :) Thank you. :-*