Author Topic: ON / Mississauga - Holcim - 2011-15  (Read 3488 times)

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Re: ON / Mississauga - Holcim - 2015 / new male & Caspian
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2015, 04:40 »
My thanks to all for your explanations to this mystery. I am grateful. It certainly clarifies all my questions. Again, thanks. :)

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2015, 20:54 »
Thanks Carly ;D

Sorry GCG missed your original question  :-[

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2015, 20:08 »
??? ??? I just saw this  ???on FB. TPC, is this possible? 8 eggs and 2 of them hatched. Did two PF's lay eggs here?

http://www.peregrine-foundation.ca/w/2015/06/sightings/14815/ 

Caspian and Storm produced 4 eggs together and approximately 2 weeks into incubation, Storm was found dead and a new male was on the scene.  The first new male was a one year old and he was around about a week, during which time Caspian abandoned the eggs as she had no choice.  The next time Tracy went out, yet another male was on the scene, this one an adult.  He hasn't been positively ID'd yet as she only has part of the bands.  Anyway, this new adult male and Caspian then produced a second clutch, the one year old was no where to be found.  So ...the first clutch was a failed clutch and she reclutched with another male. 
« Last Edit: June 11, 2015, 20:15 by carly »

Offline Jazzerkins

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2015, 19:14 »
I was finally able to register on this site.  They have some really good information.  I just posted a link to falcon cams around the world in case anyone is interested.

Offline RCF

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2015, 17:02 »
April 30, 2015 - Mississauga - Holcim
Mark Nash Reports:
April 30th - 2015

The first clutch of 4 eggs (seen in the photo as being the much lighter in colour, bleached out by the sun while they were not being attended to during the territorial battles and the lack of a support male to help the resident female with her full time incubation duties) still remains,,, among the newly laid (much more vibrant rusty brown coloured eggs) that the resident adult female has just recently produced. This is a second clutch of 4 eggs!!!

http://www.peregrine-foundation.ca/w/2015/05/sightings/eight-eggs-oh-my-goodness-a-double-clutch/

Multiple posts at this link

http://www.peregrine-foundation.ca/tops/misslaw.html

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2015, 16:55 »
I tried to register on this site but it said I wasn't allowed? ???  Wonder why?

TPC?

Offline Jazzerkins

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2015, 16:46 »
I tried to register on this site but it said I wasn't allowed? ???  Wonder why?

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2015, 15:36 »
http://rfalconcam.com/forum/index.php?topic=14427.0

I was looking for a cam when I spotted this blog. Again  ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
ON / Mississauga - Holcim - 2015 / new male & Caspian
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2015, 14:53 »
2015 NESTING SEASON

??? ??? I just saw this  ???on FB. TPC, is this possible? 8 eggs and 2 of them hatched. Did two PF's lay eggs here?

http://www.peregrine-foundation.ca/w/2015/06/sightings/14815/ 

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
ON / Mississauga - Holcim - 2013 / Caspian & Storm
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2013, 20:37 »
2013 NESTING SEASON

From Loriann in Mississauga ... she is passing this along from their website ...

Huge thank you to Barb and Armando at Holcim Cement for sending us an update on their peregrines. Armando was able to get a look at the nest site the other day and confirm incubation by the pair. This is exciting news and we look forward to another great year at the Holcim site. The CPF will be celebrating Earth Day with Holcim at their plant event and we will have further updates and news on Caspian and Storm’s progress!!

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
Re: ON / Mississauga - Holcim - 2011 / Storm & Caspian
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2012, 21:19 »
From Loriann ...

Bruce Massey stopped in at the Holcim site while out on a west end nest site tour and found the adult male, Storm, roosting just above the nest site. The resident female, Caspian, was nowhere to be seen as she was tucked away out of sight incubating her eggs. We will be watching more closely in the coming weeks for the adults to start bringing in food indicating that a hatch has occurred. Thank you Bruce for the update!!

Offline RCF

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2011, 07:26 »
Great news, hopefully they will be able to band them.

Offline bccs

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird

Offline Cooper

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2011, 14:10 »
Oooh, I like a mystery. I hope some new tidbits will follow.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
ON / Mississauga - Holcim - 2011-15
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2011, 14:00 »
2011 NESTING SEASON

Another tidbit from Loriann ...

Holcim Peregrines are very active indeed
February 22, 2011 - Mississauga - Holcim

CPF Postmaster Reports:
Given the observations of Kris and his friends, it appears that one of the resident peregrines has a solid Black band, telling us that at least one of the resident adults is a Canadian produced peregrine.

The Credit Valley Conservation staff and volunteers were conducting a winter raptor survey on January 27, 2011. As part of the survey a day is spent in an urban setting monitoring urban raptors. At approximately 12:42 pm a single peregrine falcon at St. Lawrence cement was spotted on a lamp post along Avonhead Road. Soon there after the second peregrine appeared and landed on a steel structure just behind the peregrine perched on the light post. This second bird has been noted with a distinctive dark breast/belly patch. This patch has been seen on a bird at this location two weeks prior. The first bird perched on the light post left for several minutes and returned with a European Starling in its clutch. The second peregrine with the dark breast then took flight as the first peregrine neared and mid air received the starling then proceeded to its previous perch to dine on the prey. The birds were watched for several minutes; the first bird took flight several times and landed near its dark breasted feeding companion. Note: in one of the photos, if magnified the solid black band on its left leg has a visible capital letter “D” or 0.