Author Topic: U of Alberta - 2011 / ? & Radisson  (Read 39383 times)

Offline MayShowers

• Phanatic
  • Chick
Re: U of Alberta - 2011 / ? & Radisson
« Reply #271 on: September 08, 2011, 20:04 »
Thanks for keeping us posted on the situation.  I also hope the kids have been trained enough, poor dad just trying to defend his family.

Offline birdcamfan

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #270 on: September 08, 2011, 16:29 »
Thank you for keeping us in the loop but that is bad news. I guess all we can do is watch what nature has in store. I hope and pray that the "situation" settles down.

Offline Elaine L

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #269 on: September 08, 2011, 15:31 »
For those of you who are still keeping track:  Our male at the Clinical Sciences Building (CSB) was found injured downtown on a sidewalk on August 24; he had been in a fight with another falcon.  He was taken to the Strathcona Rehab. Centre, where he was picked up by the biologist.  At first, it was thought he was not badly injured (the report Bev got was that he had "a conk on the head"), but further exam by the biologist proved that he was very badly injured, and infection had set in.  He was able to be nursed back to health over the past few weeks, although we heard it was touch and go for a while.  The plan now is to release him, likely this week, in southern Alberta, where it is hoped that he will not return to Edmonton, but instead fatten up on the marsh life, and then head south.  Meanwhile, a new male (we don't know if this is the same male he fought with), has pretty well moved in at the CSB site, and after some hesitation, was welcomed by our resident female, Radisson.  But this male, from reports we are getting from observers, is chasing the kids away every time they come around.  Bev and I are hoping that the kids are well-trained enough to manage on their own now with hunting and feeding, as it does not look like they will be getting any help from mom or the new guy.  Now, what our concern is, if the biologist releases our former resident male down in southern Alberta this week, will he head back here, or stay put?  We just do not know what he will do, but one thing we do know, he is not strong enough for another fight.

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #268 on: August 11, 2011, 12:26 »
...things seemed strange last evening. I could not put my finger on it, but ....Maybe just that time of year.Or maybe the quiet after so many  days of cacking by our kids. 
That's how it seems for us here in Winnipeg now too, bev.

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #267 on: August 11, 2011, 12:01 »
The best time to see our birds is early morning , or evening. They come back to College Plaza area later at night an dare out beyond Ed builidng in daytime.

We only saw 2 yesterday evening, and could not get bands as the light was bad, I believe one was RG , by her call and size.

things seemed strange last evening. I could not put my finger on it, but ....Maybe just that time of year.Or maybe the quiet after so many  days of cacking by our kids. 

Offline ee_fudd

• Past Member
  • Egg
« Reply #266 on: August 10, 2011, 14:05 »
Thank-you so much for the updates Bev, I check this forum regularly to see how our feathered babies are doing and drive by their nest area whenever I can hoping to catch a site of any of them :)

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #265 on: August 09, 2011, 20:01 »
I really do appreciate all of your reports, bev and enjoy reading them. I know it is a lot of work for you so thank you. :-* And not to worry about the photos. I know that you will get to them as you are able to.

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #264 on: August 09, 2011, 16:48 »
I have gone back and done a lot of reports from July26 to now. sorry I did not keep up here and you may not be interested, but I thought I would put them here  jsut in case.

I should be able to start doing slideshows from beginning of f ledge to now.

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #263 on: August 09, 2011, 16:41 »
[size=150]UNiversity
We have been going to University also but I never see more than 2 the last few days. We always see red and we are not sure sometimes if we see yellow or not. but I know all is well. Yellow and dad are probably learning skills. but I will keep trying to find 3 at a time for the next while. I do realize that one day one or 2 will move on. Usually we have at least one till mid Sept the females usually stay put , although last year red male and blue female were around till i went on holidays.

When I do my shots here I will do one slide show of jeans photos.

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #262 on: August 09, 2011, 16:39 »
August 6(saturday)

We only have a short time today but saw Red on same building by Ed building ,and mom on an aerial on same building. Then mom started chupping and flew into vent on back of Ed building and then back to where Red girl was. And after chupping some more she was off. Shortly after she came back and perched on same aerial and RG stayed put. We looked around for dad and the boys but they were probably out exploring. We will try to hit here tomorrow after supper. It is the best time.  I like to see all 3 kids.  :-* :-* :-*

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #261 on: August 09, 2011, 16:37 »
Friday,august5.2011

clinical science

We went to check here, after Weber and only had 2 kids in sight. We had Red and blue.  Red screeches and that is how you know it is her. she is also huge. I like to see all 3 before I leave but Becky had seen all 3 in the afternoon so it was late and we went home. We saw mom  on the north side of Suite hotel (campus tower), dad was in the vent at back of Ed building and Red was on an aerial on back of the building behind Ed building. She seems to love it here. She then flew from place to place , where she knew food is sometimes. When dad flew out north west she followed but did not go too far. She then flew back to college plaza and then to extension building, by Windsor apartments. When we had come into the area , we saw a kid on Maz eating but we do not know who.  
Blue was on on aerial on top of College plaza.  So we have seen all 3.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2012, 18:04 by The Peregrine Chick »

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #260 on: August 09, 2011, 16:36 »
I was hoping to post picutres before writing a report but still not ready.

Friday, July29th

WE went out and only saw dad at first on the college plaza. the we saw a juvenile come in and land on top west of clinical science roof. I went up to take a look as it was lying down. Could not tell who it was.

When I came back down, it flew over to where dad was and dad flew off. the juvenile was Red. She then flew off west.

so we went walking. We did not see anyone but mom on her louvers on north face of Chi Ching building. Not far from Ed building.

So we went up top  of parkade across form Ed building and Peter spotted Yellow Boy, on top of Jubilee auditorium.  We have never seen then there before. We joked that he was wanting to see the musical "Wicked" A young falocn flew off north of jubilee and Ed building.
then, as it is with falocns, they all appeared from different directions. all three kids, flying and playing tag, over the building across from Ed and then then around the Ed . the different thing now, is they were quiet. no squawking as they played. What a site. Peter has picutres of 2 of them playing. The camera locked as he tried to get pictures of all 3.  The RG landed on the Med science building and the 2 boys took off flying together.
so we saw all 5.

SAt. July30

Becky texted us to tell us she saw all 3 that morning.

Sunday july31

WE went to see "wicked" this afternoon. We had such a good review from YB  :) :)

Before we went to supper we went looking around . .

We had TB on the vent that Damon always occupied, on back of Ed building. Mom was on  her louver.

Red and Blue were on the college plaza. We got the bands of all of them. We were thrilled to see them all. Peter saw dad on his way to Wicked, as he dropped me off and then parked at parkade across from Maz.

We are hoping to go down again tomorrow. I would have liked to go down yesterday and today but I am babysitting my wee grandson.

I really apologize for no picutres yet, but Pete has to finish downloading.

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #259 on: August 09, 2011, 16:33 »
July28
We were down there last night  for a bit. Becky and Dave were there when we got thee.

RG was on the corner of Suite hotel eating. Opposite end of street from college plaza(more north).  I then saw a kid fly to back of clinical science, and jsut lay down. As we were walking we saw the same kid fly onto  ledge on College plaza.
Dad had come to a  ledge with food and was ripping it apart.  we turned our heads for a bit and lost sight of kid on ledge. But then I saw one on Jeans building, Windsor apartments. Peter ID'd him as BB so we thought he had just moved over. But I had an e-mail form Jean this morning and she relayed what she saw , and she said the one on ledge was YB. so we saw all 3.

We saw a falcon flying off west and we thought it was a juvenile ,but flying well enough to be an adult, so it must have been YB. 

Anyhow , after defeathering for a bit dad started talking (Chupping) and BB talked back. This went on for several minutes. Then dad flew off north with prey in talons and we knew what he wanted BB to do .BB just stayed there until Dad was halfway down the street. And  then he took off. A bit too late as RG entered in the chase and of course she beat BB. WE know this was intended for BB. We are not sure if she got the food out of dads talons or if dad just dropped it on another  part of Ed building . but she went down out of sight and BB landed on corner of Ed buidling.
We had to leave as it started raining again.  As we drove past  the ed building Dad was on an antennae and we are sure kids were eating the prey.

BB just needs to get more confidence.

It is calling for more rain today.

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #258 on: August 09, 2011, 16:33 »
  Clinical science JUly26

I have been very much under the weather. Barely moving for the last few days,.

Peter was down there Tuesday night with Becky and all was well. He stayed home yesterday as he was tired also.

We will try and go down tonight as I like to keep track of where they are moving to. 
sorry I did not comer back and write report, I jsut have to get more mobile.

On Monday afternoon , while RG and YB were soaring 2 ravens moved into their path and YB sounded the alarms. Along came radisson to move the ravens out.

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #257 on: July 29, 2011, 14:18 »
sunday july24

Sunday, july24/2011 Clinical science
BEcky and  DAve were there before us and they had seen an adult in vent at back of Ed building. this is where Damon always went. We were commenting on that earlier in the week.HMmmmmmm

REd was on corner of ED building and Radisson was on the back part of Ed (extension). Dad was on corner of Med science building.
Peter and I found one on south face of roof of clinical science and then one on north corner of Clinical science.

All of a sudden RG flew, squawking , down to back of Maz. We think Dad made a drop that we did not see becasue now the other 2 kids went flying over there and then we have 3 flying in the air. all kids , or 2 kids and an adult???? Mom was still on back of Ed.

When things settled down we have 2 on Maz and one on clinical science. After a nice breakfast at coffee shop(we can see from there), we went walking down to parkade by clinical.

the parents were way up soaring, 2 kids were on top ledge of College plaza,facing west and one kid was on top of Maz facing south. We could not see parents anymore.

the we saw something big soaring too clsoe to our area. We looked and it was an eagle. Kid on Maz, let out alarm call and all were still. So we think it was YB on MAz, appointed to babysit. The eagle did not stay in area too long and we know if mom and dad had been close by, it would have been run out of there.

so impressed with these kids.

Jean has photos of BB and Dad eating  on a ledge . that eases my mind as he is the runt and he had to be beak fed for quite a while, even after fledging. but Jean says he can do it himself now   :-*
With 3 kids in sight , we left.  :-* :-*

We are getting ready to head down again in a bit. 

I will post picutres, as I said later. I will do some slldeshows with commentary. Just too much for me right now.
We had posted picutres a few years ago of the buildings ,so you knew where they were. I am sure you have forgotten, so when I post picutres , I will post buildings again.