Author Topic: Radisson - 2011 / Ivy & Princess  (Read 228190 times)

Offline bcbird

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Re: Radisson - 2011 / Sept to Dec
« Reply #4251 on: October 18, 2011, 14:40 »
Any IDs yet!?

Offline Liz

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #4250 on: October 08, 2011, 22:16 »
 :) :) Princess is a girl after my own heart! 

I didn't know about Sandy :o  She sounds like a contender when the time comes, patient and driven.  hmm, sounds like Trey!

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
« Reply #4249 on: October 07, 2011, 18:29 »
I find it interesting that Princess leaves earlier than her mates. In Edmonton, our females leave  about a week after their mates, sometimes longer. but this year both adults appear to be here longer.

Princess is a bit notorious for leaving first - she used to disappear before the end of August her first couple of years here - September is normal, and usually earlier in the month than later.  I suspect that she doesn't actually start her migration rather she wanders off like the chicks do.  Except for this year, Princess is usually one of our first birds, if not our first bird back in the province, so in a hurry to leave and a hurry to get back up her.  Given all the work she does, I can understand her being ready to let her chicks "fly" on their own sooner rather than later.

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #4248 on: October 07, 2011, 16:29 »
I find it interesting that Princess leaves earlier than her mates. In Edmonton, our females leave  about a week after their mates, sometimes longer. but this year both adults appear to be here longer. As Tracy pointed out, warmer weather. Although ours has taken a nose dive. Can feel the falll chill.

I really missed seeing our youngsters this year at Uni, due to circumstances., so I am glad you are still seeing yours.  :-*

Offline Cooper

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #4247 on: October 07, 2011, 14:44 »
2:00 p.m. today, one of the juvies, Carson I presume, after circling the Radisson several times, quite low and blown about a bit by the wind, headed over to circle above  the St. Regis then headed back. Finally alit on the ledge at one of the south facing louvred windows on the Radisson. Hunkered down for a bit, but  the spot was apparently not to his liking. So then, a short flap to the window ledge at the next window. Still no good! Another short flap to the west facing window ledge next to the nest ledge.

Offline birdnut

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #4246 on: October 06, 2011, 14:36 »
I was driving downtown at lunch time - some birdie was on the south facing Rogers sign. 

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #4245 on: October 06, 2011, 13:48 »
I can't remember, TPC... in the past, are they all usually gone by this time of year? :-\

Yup.  Sandy from Fargo turned up last year and the year before at this time and all the adults & kids were gone and she was on her own making a mess in the nestbox at the Radisson  :D

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #4244 on: October 06, 2011, 13:21 »
I can't remember, TPC... in the past, are they all usually gone by this time of year? :-\

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #4243 on: October 06, 2011, 09:15 »
For anyone downtown today for work or the hockey festival thingy, keep your eyes on the leeside of the buildings with signs (Rogers, Hydro) or ledges/railings (Radisson, Canada Post) as that is where Ivy and Carson seem to prefer with the big winds we have had and are forecasted to have today.

At 0830 this morning, Ivy visited the nestbox to sit on the edge for a few minutes, so he's around downtown right now and probably will continue to be if his behaviour of the last few days is any indication.  I think the birds will probably wait out the good weather, might take a noticeable drop in temp and a favourable wind to get them going.  Having said that, it was 31.1C in Winnipeg yesterday (blasted every record on record here) so a noticeable drop might mean getting back to seasonable weather which is I think is low teens.  Will be interesting to see how long we continue to see them.

Offline bcbird

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #4242 on: October 05, 2011, 20:31 »
I'm really pleased that Cooper, Des, TPC and Mother Hen have had recent sightings, and then tell us in descriptive updates what Carson and Ivy are up to.  

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #4241 on: October 05, 2011, 20:06 »
TPC, I loved the 12:30 report...
Yes, I too enjoyed reading your noon-ish post about Ivy and Carson, TPC. 8)

Offline Cooper

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #4240 on: October 05, 2011, 15:00 »
Standing on the street under the Manitoba Hydro building, at about 1:30 p.m., I watched someone, Ivy I think, soaring above. Round and round the south east corner then up, up, way up & then hurtling back down & round and round again, with nary a flap, just coasting on the wind & thermals. I watched for a good ten minutes or more.  

Offline Saoirse

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #4239 on: October 05, 2011, 13:51 »
TPC, I loved the 12:30 report -- have a clear picture of Carson mimicking Ivy's clean-up attempts. Are they the only ones still hanging around home? It's good to think that maybe they'll migrate together. I know it's falling into the trap of assigning human characteristics to the birds, but that trip seems like such a long one to head off on alone.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #4238 on: October 05, 2011, 12:45 »

1233h Off went Carson across Portage Avenue, followed 10 seconds (literally) by Ivy.  Then 1240h, Carson's back up on the sign in his father's spot and 34 seconds later in comes Ivy to sit facing the kid on the "g".  They are both really intent (or at least that is how it looks on camera) on watching something north of them, but can't tell what and it doesn't look like either of them picked up lunch ...

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #4237 on: October 05, 2011, 12:39 »
1230h

Ivy is on the "s" of the north Rogers sign, Carson is on the Rogers logo on the same sign.  Ivy's been doing much more "scraping" in the nestbox since we cleaned it out and loosened up the all the gravel that had become cemented together due to the chick poop, particularly at the back of the box.  He's been back a few times each day since the weekend to have a wander around and a little scrape, a little shuffle with his feet.  No housecleaning but its a bit like tidying and retidying a workbench in the garage for him I think.  Carson is the cute one though, he's been trying to mimic what his dad is doing, he's a bit inept, doesn't really want to lie down and use both feet, a bit too fastidious for that maybe?  If he survives to nest somewhere, hormones will take care of that  :D  Its very interesting to watch their interaction though ... they do things independently but they are mostly near one another if they are around the nestsite - much more attached to/interactive with each other than any other of our parent-kid interactions over the years - particularly at this age.  Will be interesting to see who leaves first or if they leave together and Carson keeps mimicking his father, not a bad thing, Ivy has survived and taken over the Radisson site ...