Author Topic: NY / New York - 55 Water Street - 2008-11  (Read 7022 times)

Offline skygirlblue

• Phanatic
  • Chick
    • Bird Cams Around the World forum
NYC 55 Water Street - 2011 / Rocky & Jubilee
« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2011, 21:02 »
2011 NESTING SEASON

Rocky and Jubilee have been confirmed.

Egg #1:  3/14
Egg #2:  3/16
Egg #3:  3/20

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
Re: NYC 55 Water Street - 2010 / Rocky & Jubilee
« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2010, 16:01 »
Did I miss a photo or an piece in one of the articles?  
Well, in one of the links that kittenface posted in Reply 3, there is a photo of Chris (at least I think it's Chris?) holding a parent in a harness. But he does not appear to be holding her while banding the chicks. Nor does he appear to have taken her indoors. Was just wondering why he was holding onto her at all? :-\ 

I assuming he had to remove Mum from the nestbox so he could get to the chicks.  Why was she still there?  She was defending the chicks - most birds will fly away so they can attack from the sky where they have more control.  Some will just tuck down and not give way unless they have to - more dangerous for them though.  It may be that they surprised her and she decided to stand her ground.

As for the harness photo, I suspect it was just the way he was holding her and she got caught up in the harness straps - easy to do when she's fighting you.  The harness has nothing to do with the bird, its purely for the climbers safety - and is legally required on many buildings.

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2010, 15:31 »
Yes, that was a surprise to me too, bcbird. And I was surprised that he would even attempt to handle her! :o

Offline bcbird

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2010, 15:21 »
I guess that photo of the Mom being held was shot as she was being removed, and was part of the process rather than a long interval of time.  The surprise to me is that a mother peregrine lets herself be handled at all!

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2010, 15:14 »
Did I miss a photo or an piece in one of the articles? 
Well, in one of the links that kittenface posted in Reply 3, there is a photo of Chris (at least I think it's Chris?) holding a parent in a harness. But he does not appear to be holding her while banding the chicks. Nor does he appear to have taken her indoors. Was just wondering why he was holding onto her at all? :-\

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2010, 14:21 »
Did I miss a photo or an piece in one of the articles?  I didn't see the female in any of the actual banding photos ... I did she her in the hand, but not in any of the photos where they are actually banding. Also didn't reading anything about trying to make her trust humans ... did I miss an article?  Am I wrong?

As a biologist and former hack site attendant, the last thing I want is for the birds to trust me, a healthy suspicion of me and all my ilk is desireable.  Don't want them panicked into doing something dangerous (which usually equals tragic) but suspicious and ready to commit grevious bodily harm, yes.  From the photos (just the photos) it looks like when they went out on the roof to retrieve the chicks, she stayed in the box, which for us has meant, remove mom first, then remove chicks while dodging mom's attempts to do damage.  Since other photos show that the guys had to clamber back aways to get back inside, I assumed they removed Mom and either let her go and retrieved chicks or retrieved chicks then let her go before heading off the roof to go inside to band the chicks. Particularly since there are flight shots that look big enough to be the female ...

So did I miss something in the articles or blogs?

Offline bcbird

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2010, 22:54 »
I agree with you Carly, it doesn't seem right that the mother can be handled so easily.

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2010, 05:11 »
If I hadn't seen it, I'd still be a doubter.  There he is, holding on to Mama while the banding goes on.  EXCELLENT pictures on that link !

Ditto!  Although I'm not sure I approve, wouldn't' that make the situation even more stressful for her?  And trying to show falcons that humans can be 'trusted' is in my opinion the beginning of the end of any species.  

Not to mention some unscrupulous thief is probably thinking that he can 'grab' one of the falcons he can steal it or the babies...

Can you tell I don't trust hoomans motives  ;D
« Last Edit: May 14, 2010, 05:18 by carly »

Offline Eye-spy

• Project
  • Chick
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2010, 22:32 »
If I hadn't seen it, I'd still be a doubter.  There he is, holding on to Mama while the banding goes on.  EXCELLENT pictures on that link !

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2010, 20:44 »
Well kittenface, you are right, Chris does appear to be holding one of the parents in one of the photos! How can that be, TPC?! :o

Offline kittenface

• Past Member
  • Chick
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2010, 20:10 »
Here is another article for you  about the 2 males/females:
http://gothamist.com/2010/05/13/water_street_falcons_get_tagged.php?gallery0Pic=14#gallery

Alot of really cool pictures and there is a couple pics of one of the parents being held on the blog the blog address is:
http://palemaleirregulars.blogspot.com/2010/05/water-street-peregrines-rock-river-bald.html

« Last Edit: May 13, 2010, 20:14 by kittenface »

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2010, 15:13 »
Think the newspaper probably missed a bit of text saying exactly where Mom flew to.  Pretty sure not even Chris could have a protective mama on one hand while removing chicks with the other !  :o ;)

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2010, 14:21 »
City welcomes four new peregrine falcon chicks to urban flock

Jubilee spread her wings and glared at the man reaching for her nest.
The mother Peregrine falcon wasn't going to give up her babies easily - even if it was just for a few minutes.
Chris Nadareski let her squawk and extended his hand.
She flew to it and stayed there as he carefully lifted the four fluffy white chicks and placed them into baskets.

Does this mean that she actually landed on his hand?! :o

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
NYC 55 Water Street - 2010 / Rocky & Jubilee
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2010, 14:14 »
2010 NESTING SEASON

City welcomes four new peregrine falcon chicks to urban flock

Jubilee spread her wings and glared at the man reaching for her nest.

The mother Peregrine falcon wasn't going to give up her babies easily - even if it was just for a few minutes.  Chris Nadareski let her squawk and extended his hand. She flew to it and stayed there as he carefully lifted the four fluffy white chicks and placed them into baskets.  ednesday's brief stand-off is an annual ritual for the wildlife biologist and the falcons at 55 Water Street.

Each year, he climbs out on a ledge 14 stories above lower Manhattan to check on the new chicks and band them with small metal i.d. bracelets. These chicks hatched less than a month ago.

"This is a very healthy brood," said Nadareski, a wildlife biologist with the city's Department of Environmental Protection, after examining Brianne, Ramona, Matthew and Stephen. "They look well-fed."

The pair that call 55 Water Street home is one of 15 active falcon nests across the five boroughs, Nadareski said. That's a far cry from 1983 when just two nests existed on the Verrazano and Throgs Necks bridges.  The majestic birds had been virtually wiped out by the early 1960s due to pesticide residue in their prey. Peregrine falcons are still an endangered species and are closely guarded by the environment officials.

Nadareski, chief of the DEP's wildlife studies section, works with the state Department of Environmental Conservation to monitor some of the local falcons on bridges and rooftops around the city.  He examined their nest box and discovered the Water Street pair, named Rocky and Jubilee, have been feasting on local pigeons, mourning doves, woodpeckers and blue jays.

"The bands allow us to follow them and identify them," he said. "Things happen when they are taking their first flight and good Samaritans often pick them up."

The chicks have an extended family at 55 Water Street, where their every movement is monitored by workers in the building and an Internet birdcam at http://www.falcons.55water.com/. Falcon pairs have called the ledge home for over 10 years.  Engineers Eddie Gamble and Richard Nicosia proudly showed visitors a photo album of the falcons as if it were their own children.

"It's unique," said Frank Magnani, vice president at the New Water Street Corporation which owns the property. "They are real New Yorkers."

http://www.nydailynews.com/lifestyle/pets/2010/05/12/2010-05-12_city_welcomes_four_new_peregrine_falcon_chicks_to_urban_flock.html

« Last Edit: January 13, 2011, 01:18 by The Peregrine Chick »