Author Topic: 2010 - Kinderchicklets / First Egg!  (Read 2439 times)

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Re: First Egg!
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2010, 13:44 »
...We have built a special door that lets us open up part of the nestbox so that we can check the eggs and the chicks.  But we keep it a secret so that we can keep the peregrines and their babies safe.  Remember, its a secret, Shhhhhh  ;)
LOL, TPC!!!  ;D The 'chicklets have promised that they know how to keep your secret about the special door you have built for the nestbox! As they left school this morning, they promised they would only tell their mom or dad! ;)

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2010, 18:50 »
So now they are wondering where Princess was when you did that?  Did she like it that you picked up one of her eggs?

Princess and Ivy were both flying overhead and screaming at me to "leave our egg alone".  But I wasn't there for very long and I was very very careful when I checked the egg and then I put it gently back exactly where it had been.  When they saw how careful I was being and that I wasn't there long (a little over 5 minutes), they both landed on one of the cellphone masts (ask your teacher to show you what they look like) and watched me while I finished what I had to do before getting off their roof.

And of course, how on earth did you get into her nestbox?! ???

Its a secret, but I'll tell you all.  We have built a special door that lets us open up part of the nestbox so that we can check the eggs and the chicks.  But we keep it a secret so that we can keep the peregrines and their babies safe.  Remember, its a secret, Shhhhhh  ;)

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2010, 15:00 »
So now they are wondering where Princess was when you did that? Did she like it that you picked up one of her eggs? :-\ And of course, how on earth did you get into her nestbox?! ???
I know that is three questions, but... they do kind of all go together! ;)
Whenever you have a free minute, TPC, the 'chicklets would appreciate hearing from you! ;) Maybe after you have been up to the nest box this weekend, to check on the rest of the eggs, you could get back to us. Thanks! :-*

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2010, 23:43 »
The Kinderchicklets were SO glad to hear from you, Tracy, that Princess's first egg is just fine and does not have a hole or a crack in it! ;) They were, in fact, very intrigued to hear that you picked it up to look at it and checked to see if it was okay. So now they are wondering where Princess was when you did that? Did she like it that you picked up one of her eggs? :-\ And of course, how on earth did you get into her nestbox?! ???
I know that is three questions, but... they do kind of all go together! ;)

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2010, 17:12 »
Welcome to the Forum 2010 Kinderchicklets!  Glad you are going to be keeping an eye on our peregrines when the webcam is up and running, its a very important job and I know you will do a great job for us!

About the "hole" in the egg ... don't worry, the egg is fine, it isn't a hole, just some white on the egg that looks like a crack and a hole.  When I checked the nestbox and found the egg, I carefully picked it up to make sure that it was all okay, and it was!  No cracks or holes or anything!!

I will be checking the nestbox again in a few days and then I will be able to tell you how many eggs Princess and Ivy have laid and how many chicks we might have in just over one month.  I will also try to remember  ;) to take a photo when I'm there so that you all can see them!

The Peregrine Chick

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
2010 - Kinderchicklets / First Egg!
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2010, 16:48 »
Hello from the 2010 Kinderchicklets, Tracy!  :D This is a whole new experience for them and a very exciting one! With the laying of Princess's first egg of the season this past weekend, I have decided that it was time for me to introduce the new 'chicklets to you and the Forum. This morning, we went into Dennis's photo bucket and looked at a few recent photos of Princess and Ivy and the new egg! :D We even looked at a photo of you watching the sky with your binoculars! ;) And so now the questions have begun... Although some of our questions may be similar to last year's questions, please keep in mind that these 'chicklets are brand new at this and are just beginning their "Peregrine" adventure!  ;D

First question: When we were looking very closely at the first egg that Princess has laid, larger than life, on our classroom digital projector, we noticed that it looked like it had a hole and a crack on the right side. Of course, the Kinderchicklets thought maybe the chick was about to hatch! :o But I did explain to them that Princess still needed to lay a few more eggs and then take turns with Ivy, keeping them warm for about a month, before they would hatch... So, would you be able to explain the appearance of a hole and a crack on the right side of the egg? ???