Author Topic: PA / Pittsburgh - Gulf Tower - 2010-19  (Read 6734 times)

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Re: PA / Pittsburgh - Gulf Tower - 2010 / Louie & Dori
« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2010, 16:39 »
Egg #5 is now hatching...!!  Wow..  :-* :-* :-* :-* :-*  Here's number 5, she's helping it out!!!  Wow!!!  

She's munching on the shell, baby by her wing..all pinkish!  Incredible, now we know for sure that both Tasha's eggs have hatched!  What a tribute to a wonderful falcon and a great tiercel who never gave up even with Dori didn't want to incubate them ..he insisted!!  
« Last Edit: May 11, 2010, 16:51 by carly »

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2010, 08:29 »
More from Kate in response to a question about the eggs:

Yes, a fertilized egg CAN sit dormant for an extended period of time and still hatch if incubated. Peregrines normally make the eggs wait until incubation – they awit until the clutch is nearly complete. In this case it was just a little longer wait than usual. Freezing was the only real hazard & Louie made sure that they didn’t freeze.

Will Dori know that one (or more) of the chicks is not hers?
I doubt she knows and if she did it would make no difference to her. She will raise all of them as her own. Peregrines’ will foster others’ chicks. The Peregrine Recovery Project used this knowledge when they fostered chicks with peregrine adults who were unable to raise their own viable young due to DDT.

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2010, 07:53 »
Kate St John has confirmed that it is indeed one of Tasha's eggs that has hatched!  Kate looks after the nest sites there and she has records from the cams she has gone through for verification.  

http://www.wqed.org/birdblog/2010/05/11/four-out-of-five/#comments

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2010, 19:49 »
Although I can't verify this as of yet, some of the posters on CMNH are saying that the fourth egg just hatched....Dori only laid 3..that would mean that a 50 day old egg has hatched???  One of Tasha's, will see if I can see if there are three or four under her.  

If this is true, that's amazing! :o

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2010, 18:29 »
Although I can't verify this as of yet, some of the posters on CMNH are saying that the fourth egg just hatched....Dori only laid 3..that would mean that a 50 day old egg has hatched???  One of Tasha's, will see if I can see if there are three or four under her.  

Offline Ellie

• Past Member
  • Fledgling
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2010, 08:36 »
Been checking this cam closely the last few days and figured "any day now"!  And here it is!  Way to go Dori & Louie!  Terribly windy today for them ........no wonder she is not giving anyone peeks.

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2010, 07:59 »
We have a hatch here this morning, haven't seen the little one myself yet but saw photos of the egg shell and Dori eating it on BCAW.  Louie also came in for a peek but Dori wouldn't budge  :P

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2010, 12:41 »
Are Tasha's eggs expected to hatch or were they left alone too long in the "change over" time.  Really neat that Dori is incubating Tasha's eggs also!  We will soon know for sure as the hatch has to be close. :)

It would be a miracle if they hatched.  They were laid almost 6 weeks ago now.   Louie was pretty adamant these were going to be included though.  I actually thought it was kind of touching that she gave in in the end.

Offline Ellie

• Past Member
  • Fledgling
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2010, 12:26 »
Are Tasha's eggs expected to hatch or were they left alone too long in the "change over" time.  Really neat that Dori is incubating Tasha's eggs also!  We will soon know for sure as the hatch has to be close. :)

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2010, 18:27 »
The 2 here keep me in stitches.

A hatch is soon.

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2010, 15:32 »
What an interesting story!  :D Interesting that Dori is incubating Tasha's 2 eggs as well as her own. Does that happen very often? ??? And yes, Ellie, she does require a gardener. She could use the help of Trey, who used to reside in Winnipeg. Trey loved to weed his garden! ;)

Offline Ellie

• Past Member
  • Fledgling
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2010, 15:04 »
She/he needs to mow the lawn!  Hope those two big weeds get trampled soon or our vision will be hampered.  Guess it won't be too long before the eggs will be hatching!

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2010, 19:56 »
When she turned her back to us we knew ,this is it

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2010, 19:52 »
I watched this all day yesterday and ljames and I saw her lay the egg last night
I will go and get my slides and pictures

The 2 were rally fun to watch yesterday. He is teaching her how to sit on eggs. she was trying all day to lay eggs.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2010, 19:55 by bev. »

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2010, 07:55 »
Dori has laid her first egg and she is now laying on all three eggs - hers and the two from Tasha!!