Author Topic: Delisting & Taking Peregrines from the Wild  (Read 7456 times)

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Re: Delisting & Taking Peregrines from the Wild
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2009, 19:57 »
Florida has now approved permits to take a limited number of peregrines from the wild for falconry:  >:(

FWC Approves Rule To Allow Peregrine Falcons For Falconry

The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service determines the number of falcons that may be taken over a broad range of states. It is estimated fewer than five falcons will be allocated to Florida in 2010. Under the new rule, falconers must receive a permit for the take of peregrine falcons for falconry. The FWC will randomly select applications and issue permits annually based on the number allotted to the state. Priority for receiving a permit will be given to Florida residents.

Peregrine populations plummeted because of the use of DDT since the 1940s in the United States. After DDT use was restricted in the 1970s, populations significantly increased. The USFWS took the peregrine off the endangered species list in 1999, and the FWC delisted the peregrine falcon in June 2009, making it one of conservation’s greatest success stories. Today, scientists estimate there are at least 3,100 breeding pairs in the United States.

“This is a historic moment for falconers, and we strongly approve staff’s recommendation,” said Eric Edwards of the Florida Falconers Association and North American Falconers Association. “It has been a privilege working with FWC staff through this process.”

The peregrine is a highly valued bird by falconers for its nearly 200-mph dives for prey. Falcons have been used by people for hunting for more than 1,000 years.

“Falconers contributed to the successful conservation of the peregrine by providing birds for captive breeding so peregrines could be reintroduced,” said Robin Boughton, the FWC’s avian coordinator. “Many falconers will now have the opportunity to again use the birds in the sport of falconry.”

Seven speakers, including members of groups such as the Florida Falconry Association, North American Falconers Association, Audubon of Florida and Defenders of Wildlife, spoke at the meeting.

“Audubon views the peregrine as an iconic species, and we have concerns regarding lack of monitoring in Florida to help ensure no future decline in this species,” said Julie Wraithmell of Audubon of Florida. “We hope the Commission will help promote conservation of the species by funding monitoring projects.”

http://www.fosterfollynews.com/news/2009Dec10FWCapprovesruletoallowperegrinefalcons.php

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2009, 22:06 »
Sad, sad, sad..... It's permissable to remove endangered species?  I have no comment.

In certain states only, a limited number of permits have been issued. Many states have now removed peregrines from the endangered list, making them vulnerable to so many more hazards -- as if they did not have enough challenges already.  >:(

Offline allikat

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2009, 20:43 »
Sad, sad, sad..... It's permissable to remove endangered species?  I have no comment.

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2009, 23:15 »
I don't recall the details of what is permissable at the US federal level and certainly not at the state level, but it is my understanding that taking peregrines from the wild is permissable.  Its my assumption (perhaps erroneously) that permits are still required but I don't know all the details.  The point being, that could influence the penalties handed down in the end.

Offline allikat

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2009, 21:54 »
I have no idea why one would want to do this.....this just makes me so angry I can hardly speak.  When can some humans start to respect nature?

Offline Elaine L

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2009, 14:39 »
I expect you are right, Alison.  In my expererience, very few people get even close to the maximum penalty.  So, I wonder what the minimum penalty is?  Typically, it is only a few hundred dollars, and this is all the suffering these barbarians ever have to deal with.

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Delisting & Taking Peregrines from the Wild
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2009, 20:47 »
Two guilty of removing falcons from cliffside nests

GOLD BEACH – Two of three Oregon men indicted by a Curry County grand jury for illegally taking young peregrine falcons from nests from the headlands of Port Orford have been convicted and are scheduled to be sentenced on Dec. 11. The third has asked for a jury trial.

Bert J. Loessberg, 53, Eugene, pleaded guilty on Tuesday to felony first-degree theft and a wildlife law violation in a plea bargain which saw a second wildlife law violation, two criminal trespass charges and a charge of harassing wildlife dismissed.

Judge Jesse Margolis told Loessberg that the maximum sentence for the theft conviction is five years in prison and $125,000 fine and the maximum sentence for the wildlife violation, unlawfully removing a peregrine falcon from its natural habitat, is one year in jail and a $6,250 fine.

Margolis asked if there was a legal excuse for what he did. Loessberg’s attorney, Robert Schrank, replied: “No legal excuse. There was a valid permit that was never used.”

Wayne A. Skankey, 51, Beaverton, pleaded guilty on Sept. 25 of first-degree theft as a misdemeanor and criminal trespass.

Both Loessberg and Skankey are scheduled to be sentenced on Dec. 11.

Clinton Paul Rand, 35, Terrebone, pleaded not guilty to all charges and a three-day trial was scheduled to begin April 13.

Rand’s attorney, Jim Gardner, asked for trial to be set but to allow negotiations to continue until the Dec. 11 sentencing for the other two, but Margolis refused.

The judge said that under the court’s rules, once the pleas were entered trial would be scheduled and Rand would face a jury on all charges or plead guilty to them.

“We’ve done a lot of attempts to negotiate,” Gardner said and entered not guilty pleas and asked for the trial dates.

The three were indicted on charges of felony first-degree theft, the theft of a peregrine falcon, removed from habitat, on May 30. The habitat is reportedly about 30 to 40 feet down a 200 foot cliff.

The three were also charged with three Class A misdemeanors, including removal of wildlife in violation of permit, failure to make timely notice to ODFW of intent to make a nest entry and harassing wildlife.

They were also charged with two counts each of second degree criminal trespass for entering two properties on King Street in Port Orford to get access to the falcons.

The three were arraigned on Aug. 31.

Similar charges against Zayne J. Lees, 60, Powell Butte, were dismissed in court by Curry County District Attorney Everett Dial on Sept. 11.

http://www.currypilot.com/20091125114276/News/Local-News/Two-guilty-of-removing-falcons-from-cliffside-nests

I'd like to see them get the maximum penalty -- but of course it won't happen.