Author Topic: Bird/Birding Books Worth Reading  (Read 11501 times)

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Re: Bird/Birding Books Worth Reading
« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2010, 12:13 »
Kinderchick's Suggestions

While travelling to the west coast earlier this summer, I came across a book stand in an Abbotsford, B.C. restaurant with a lovely little soft covered book entitled "The Eagles of Hornby Island: My Tree-Top Neighbours" by Douglas Carrick. After 15 years of observing eagles from the ground in their backyard on Hornby Island, Douglas, along with his wife, Sheila, have hosted an Eagle Cam since September 2004. I know that many of us have been watching Phoenix's antics this past Spring and were saddened to hear of her death in mid July. This little book was published in 2008, before Phoenix's time, but gives lots of interesting anecdotal information about eagles as well as other birds nesting on Hornby Island. I found it to be an easy and enjoyable read and if anyone is interested in ordering it, the following link will lead you to it as well as many other interesting birding and wildlife books... www.hancockhouse.com

« Last Edit: August 04, 2010, 12:15 by Kinderchick »

Offline debc52

• Past Member
  • Chick
« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2009, 21:26 »
Both books are available through the Winnipeg Public Library. The Kaufmann one has both a 1997 version and a 2006 version which seems to be the same book with a new subtitle and "afterword". Both about quest to see most different birds in one year and both look really interesting.

Offline BirdLover

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2009, 13:07 »
Neither of these authors are on our library catalogue so will be going down there to see if they can find them for me.

Offline debc52

• Past Member
  • Chick
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2009, 13:51 »
Thanks, BL. Knew they could loan them from one branch to another in Winnipeg but didn't know I could get them from another city altogether. Will have to try that!

Offline BirdLover

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2009, 21:24 »
Thanks Pam.  Will be heading to the library when I get back to Brandon !!!  And if they don't have them there, will get them to inter-library loan them for me.  Did you know about that Deb????

Offline Pam

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2009, 21:21 »
Pam's Suggestions

Interesting reads about folks who have written about attempting a "Big Year" in birding....

The Big Year by Mark Obmascik

Kingbird Highway by Ken Kaufman

Offline birdcamfan

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2009, 15:10 »
Hi TPC. My Peterson Flash Guide came in the mail today, thank you. I am now convinced that it was either a Peregrine or a Cooper's that I saw on Saturday. When I said that it was low, I meant like 20 floors up or so, but close enough to see the markings. That being said, I have seen Cooper's Hawks close to there before so that's more likely what it was. Thanks for the guide it's small enough to go in my purse. Now if I could just remember to take my binocs everywhere with me..

Offline Saoirse

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2009, 17:59 »
Thanks, Eagle and Deb -- I've just gone ahead and ordered a used one through Amazon. The one in McNally was $35. Now I can hardly wait for it to arrive! I appreciate your help.

Offline debc52

• Past Member
  • Chick
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2009, 16:25 »
I agree - although we just have the eastern version. (That is WPG by the way whatever our "Gateway to the West" may promise.)  ::)

Just make sure you get one that has the pictures with the writeups. Ours has all the pictures in the middle and you are forever flipping back and forth.  :P

Offline eagle63_1999

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
    • My Photography
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2009, 15:41 »
Yes Saoirse,I have it. It is a good book.  It puts his western and eastern field guides together in one book.  I think it is around 26-30 dollars?  Don't quote me cause I got mine at Costco lol  Some people like photographs and they are good but Roger's paintings are exactly the colour of the bird as far as I am concerned.

Offline Saoirse

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2009, 14:54 »
I've already spoken with TPC about the Peterson Flashguide but note that there's also a Peterson Field Guide to birds of North America. Saw it in McNally Robinson and, in the very short time I had, it looked to be fairly decent. Is anyone familiar with it?

Offline eagle63_1999

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
    • My Photography
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2008, 19:36 »
I second that Pchemist, Birds are a WHOLE lot more fun  ;D

Offline Pchemist

• Past Member
  • Old Bird
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2008, 19:31 »
They used to make (probably still do, but I have no reason to have one) a similar thing to identify planes flying overhead.  Birds is more fun.  :)

Offline ballywing

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2008, 19:26 »
That DOES sound great! Especially for those who are novices (moi) at this bird stuff!  ;D

Offline eagle63_1999

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
    • My Photography
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2008, 12:56 »
Not sure I've heard tell of that but what a great idea.  I think raptors, like sparrows, and gulls and sandpipers, have to be the most confusing and diffcult to identify in the field.