Author Topic: Polar Bears - California / San Diego Zoo  (Read 16110 times)

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Re: 2010 - Polar Bear - California / San Diego Zoo
« Reply #29 on: October 10, 2010, 13:30 »
Looks as if the camera lens has been fixed. :) Finally got to see Kalluk and Tatqiq playing in the water not long ago. :D

Offline sami

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #28 on: October 08, 2010, 13:44 »
Oops - spoke too soon. Picture is now clear, no sign of crack or scratches, but definitely water. Just no bears in sight.

Offline sami

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #27 on: October 08, 2010, 13:42 »
Looks like the camera is aimed at water - with a possible crack and lots of scratches. Maybe it had a close encounter with a playful polar bear?

Offline Linder

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #26 on: October 08, 2010, 13:36 »
I went to the site and the picture is a big blur. Look like cracks as well.

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #25 on: October 08, 2010, 13:26 »
Looks to me as if the camera lens is cracked. What do you think, Elaine? :-\

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #24 on: October 07, 2010, 14:32 »
Looks as if Kalluk is munching on some "veggies" right now. :D

Offline Elaine L

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2010, 12:55 »
This morning, Tatqiq, Kalluk's sister, made a brazen "attack" on Kalluk.  She came out of the water, dripping wet, went up to him where he was soundly sleeping, and sprayed water all over him.  He jumped about a foot in the air, and she took off back to the pool.  I guess she wanted him to come to the pool to play with her for a while, and after he got over being mad, he joined her; but, she didn't stick around too long, as he kept pulling on her ear and dragging her around the pool, so now he is splashing around there by himself.

Offline RCF

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #22 on: October 06, 2010, 20:58 »
Rapidcitymbfan and Kinderchick,

I go to this site about 10 a.m., noon, 1:00 and 2:00 p.m. MST, and I usually always see Kalluk, the big male, or his sister, Tatqiq.  Also, sometimes when I look in about 9:00 a.m., I see Chinook, who wanders around the area by herself for while, then leaves, and the other two arrive.  I often minimize the camera to the corner of my computer, so I can see if anything is going on throughout the day with Kalluk, as he is very funny to watch.  And the new camera they installed looks for the bears, and is very close up, which is great.

Gee, I work between 7am and 3:30pm ::) , so I probably will only be able to catch them at those times on the weekends. ;)

Offline Elaine L

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2010, 16:13 »
If anyone is interested in seeing Kalluk take his dirt bath again, take a look now. 

Offline Elaine L

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2010, 10:26 »
You can recognize Kalluk by the big dark patch on his back that looks like a tatoo, Kinderchick; other than that, he is huge compared to his two companions.  You sure can see the difference in strength, too, when he play-fights with his sister.  He tries to not use too much force, and to crouch down to her level so he is not overpowering her, but sometimes this doesn't work.  When he is too much for her, and he hits her too hard, she leaves the scene, so now I think they are at the point where she doesn't really want to play with him anymore.  So, the keepers have to find things for Kalluk to do to keep him busy and use up his energy.  In the wild, of course, he would not have this problem.  Just an additional note, if you didn't already read this, all three bears were orphaned at a very young age.

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2010, 17:52 »
I was watching at 11:30 this morning, Elaine and I think it was Kalluk I saw, chowing down on a big hunk of "something" for lunch! 8) Didn't see the others, though.

Offline Elaine L

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2010, 11:15 »
If anyone has a chance to look right now, they will see all three bears, including the hopefully pregnant Chinook, who is front and center at the moment.

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2010, 20:54 »
Thanks, Elaine! I am going to try for some of the times you have mentioned, or better still, leave the webcam open for the morning so my Kinderchicklets can let me know when they see some action.  :D They were very good about announcing any peregrine falcon action last Spring! ;)

Offline Elaine L

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2010, 17:03 »
Kalluk has been rolling around in a dirt bath for the last 20 minutes, and he looks as happy as a clam.  He is so black, he is hardly recognizable.  My dogs have never gotten that dirty.  I hate to be the one trying to get him clean.  I don't think a dip in the pool will do the job.

Offline Elaine L

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2010, 11:46 »
Of course, right after I write this, I look in on the Polar Bear Cam at the specified time, and nothing is happening.  Oh, wait, I spoke too soon:  now, both siblings are there, looking for their treats.