Author Topic: Polar Bears - California / San Diego Zoo  (Read 15990 times)

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
Re: 2011 Polar Bear - California / San Diego Zoo
« Reply #89 on: November 30, 2011, 21:07 »
That's really too bad about Chinook  :-\

Debbie and Skipper produced a number of young at the Assiniboine Park Zoo over the years.  Will be interesting to see if the Destination Churchill exhibit will have a similarly successful breeding record.

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #88 on: November 30, 2011, 18:41 »
That is too bad, Elaine. :( Haven't looked at these guys lately. Thanks for reminding me about them. :)

Offline Elaine L

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #87 on: November 30, 2011, 14:56 »
Well, this will not come as a big surprise to anyone, I think:  Chinook is not pregnant.  She has now been reunited with Tatqik and Kalluk, and apparently all three are delighted to be together again, romping around in their enclosure, which is good.  But I don't know if the San Diego Zoo will ever be able to come up with just the right conditions for polar bear babies; and even if they do, there is no guarantee that the babies will live.  They have to keep trying, though.  I am sure Kalluk and Chinook will be willing to give the baby-making a go again in the Spring, but it is abit disheartening when nothing comes of it, especially considering the precarious situation of our polar bears in the wild.

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #86 on: September 09, 2011, 12:56 »
Very interesting, sami. I didn't hear that. Please keep us posted if you hear anything else. :)

Offline sami

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #85 on: September 08, 2011, 23:09 »
Heard on the news this evening that there was some sort of agreement between the San Diego Zoo and our Assinniboine Zoo about the polar bears - education and such, both working to the same ends. I imagine we'll hear more about it in the future.

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #84 on: September 08, 2011, 20:33 »
Ah, yes, I must introduce my new class of Kinderchicklets to Chinook, Kalluk and Tatqik! :D Thanks for reminding me of these guys, Elaine. I looked at them only infrequently, during our peregrine breeding season, which is as it should be. ;)

Offline Elaine L

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #83 on: September 08, 2011, 15:46 »
With the end of one breeding season (the falcons), we can now turn to another breeding season (the polar bears).  All indications are that Chinook is pregnant.  She is showing all the usual signs and behavior, and the keepers at the San Diego Zoo are once again fervently hoping for the best.  But, we went through this last year, so, understandably, everyone is very nervous.  Chinook is no spring chicken, either, so this also comes into play.  It would be so wonderful to have a baby here, something that is a long time coming! 

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #82 on: April 09, 2011, 10:14 »
The Zoo hasn't said anything lately, but I believe Kalluk is spending most of his time on the other side...
Ah... thanks, I thought I was looking at Kalluk this past little while. I really have had some difficulty telling the bears apart. ::) Need to study them more, I guess. :-\

Offline Elaine L

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #81 on: April 08, 2011, 15:28 »
The Zoo hasn't said anything lately, but I believe Kalluk is spending most of his time on the other side; I don't know if this is the Zoo's idea or his.  Right now, it is his sister, Tatqik, who is front and center of the camera, she is the great carrot lover, you can see how much pleasure she gets out of eating those carrots.  Chinook has a bigger stomach and a bigger caboose, and her eyes are more slanted.  I expect that she is on the other side, as well, unless they have placed her in separate quarters in case of pregnancy.  Tatqik is not quite as entertaining as the big guy, but she is fun to watch in the water as she thinks of all kinds of games to play on her own.

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #80 on: April 08, 2011, 13:34 »
Every time I look lately, Kalluk is sleeping on that pile of hay under the "bridge"! ::)

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #79 on: March 30, 2011, 11:53 »
No polar bears in sight at all right now, dancing or sleeping!  :(

Offline Elaine L

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #78 on: March 30, 2011, 09:46 »
I have just been lucky to catch the boy in action, Kinderchick.  According to the Zoo, he wore himself out with the whole mating ritual.  He was so focussed on getting Chinook's cooperation that he hardly ate anything, and sleeping just took time away from the task at hand.  When he is up and at it, he is a joy to behold.  He is also one of the major stars of the Zoo; they say that people come there just to see him (and he is not one to be shy about performing!)

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #77 on: March 29, 2011, 19:48 »
Every time I tune into Kalluk these days, he's sound asleep! ::)

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #76 on: March 28, 2011, 18:51 »
Well, Kalluk, "the dancing machine" is looking pretty exhausted right now, passed out on his rock slab! ;)

Offline Elaine L

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #75 on: March 28, 2011, 17:10 »
Oh, that Kalluk.  He is just dancing up a storm out there, all by himself.  I don't know how he makes his way around all his toys, but he manages.  The guy is just a dancing machine, and the crowd is lapping it up.  I think it is his sister in the background eating the carrots; she looks curious, but not concerned about the hot hoofer, so I guess she has seen it all.

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #74 on: March 16, 2011, 20:11 »
Polar bear cubs between August & November! That's exciting, Elaine! :D 8)

Offline Elaine L

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #73 on: March 16, 2011, 17:19 »
The San Diego Zoo is once again preparing for polar bear cubs, now that the season of love between Chinook and Kalluk seems to be over.  The expected birth date is sometime between August 28 and November 16.  Here is the latest blog from the polar bear site:

On February14, 2011, and for 10 days after, Chinook and Kalluk were inseparable. They slept together, ate together, swam together, and yes, bred. We can confirm that at this point we will be getting ready for the possibility of polar bear cubs this fall. However, this year breeding came early, and it’s possible we may see Chinook cycle again. It is interesting, as several other zoos with breeding polar bears have experienced this early breeding as well.

The gestation period for polar bears is 195 to 265 days, so before you get out the calendars and calculators, that gives us a due time of August 28 to November 16! To try to get as much information as possible along the way, we are collecting fecal samples and urine samples for hormone assay, and we will again do ultrasound exams with Chinook as we approach implantation and birth time. As you know, she does seem to greatly enjoy her belly-rubbing ultrasound sessions!

Kalluk is still showing a heightened level of testosterone with his behavior and inconsistent appetite. For males in the wild, this lack of eating is proving to be of concern as we lose more ice. In the wild, male polar bears begin searching for receptive females early in the spring. Once they breed with a female, she goes off to hunt and store as much fat as possible while he goes off in search of another receptive female. As the ice disappears earlier in summer, the males are losing precious time to hunt.

Kalluk doesn’t have this worry, as finding food is never an issue. Over the past weeks it has been difficult to get him to acknowledge food, but yesterday he ate 20 pounds (9 kilograms) of meat in one sitting. Kalluk is also beginning to actually sleep; during breeding season, he is so intent on where Chinook is that he rarely does anything more than a quick nap. Both eating and sleeping are good signs that we may be heading back to normal!

Chinook also has some resting to do. Kalluk is twice her size and very attentive to her every move. She is now spending a great deal of time snoozing in our mulch piles or taking long, luxurious swims in the pool. Two days ago Chinook and Kalluk had a great romping play-and- dive session, another sign that “normal” may be right around the corner.

Tatqiq seems to have a great understanding of what breeding season means to her. She is patiently waiting until her friends lose their romantic interests and regain their playful spirits and once again join her in a good romp around the exhibit. Until then, she is greatly enjoying having all the carrots to herself and is busy hunting gophers in Polar Bear Park.

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #72 on: February 28, 2011, 17:04 »
Yes, I did see that, this afternoon!  8) Tuned in to the polar bears this morning with my Kinderchicklets, but all we saw was a pile of food - no bears in sight!  ::) :P Too bad!  :(

Offline Elaine L

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #71 on: February 28, 2011, 14:01 »
A really great view right now of Chinook asleep on her dirt pile, with the arctic foxes asleep just behind her (in a separate enclosure, of course).  The foxes look up towards Chinook every now and again, possibly wondering if she is ever going to kill something so that they can grab a bite. 

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #70 on: February 20, 2011, 13:04 »
One of the polar bears grazing on a grass covered rock right now, near some bushes. Never seen that before. :)

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #69 on: February 18, 2011, 19:08 »
... So, Kalluk continues his wooing, and is at it again with the dancing.  This time, it looks like a two-step.  He has a pretty good rhythm going.  Chinook is giving him the eye, so maybe this is the dance that will do the trick! 

LOL, Elaine! ;D

Offline Elaine L

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #68 on: February 18, 2011, 16:09 »
I believe that in the polar bear world, once they have mated, the female won't have anything more to do with the male, so the fact that they are still together in the enclosure means that nothing has happened yet; of course, with Chinook giving Kalluk the cold shoulder, nothing is happening anyway.  So, Kalluk continues his wooing, and is at it again with the dancing.  This time, it looks like a two-step.  He has a pretty good rhythm going.  Chinook is giving him the eye, so maybe this is the dance that will do the trick! 

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #67 on: February 16, 2011, 16:20 »
These guys are really fun to watch! :D Two of them frolicking together in the water right now. I had forgotten how entertaining they can be. Thanks for reminding us, Elaine. :)

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #66 on: February 16, 2011, 10:34 »
Funny yellow polar bear playing with a hose in the enclosure right now ...  ;D

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #65 on: February 15, 2011, 20:47 »
LOL, Elaine! I absolutely love your commentaries! :) Taking the day off work tomorrow. Must check in on these two ;).

Offline Elaine L

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #64 on: February 15, 2011, 17:00 »
Well, Kalluk spent some time this afternoon doing a mating dance for his Lady-Love, Chinook.  He is no Michael Jackson, but he does have some good moves, although he is somewhat repetitious.  He kept at it for quite a while, so I give him marks for persistence.  Chinook did glance his way a couple of times during this dance routine, and when she moved off, she took her time, instead of making a bee-line for the exit.  And she did not growl at him or swat him in the face, either.  I do believe that she is beginning to come around.   

Offline Elaine L

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #63 on: February 09, 2011, 09:34 »
That's true, Kinderchick; I never thought of that.

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #62 on: February 08, 2011, 17:29 »
...Every time he gets really amorous and tries to mate with her, the camera moves away; I don't know why, I think most of us have seen animals mating in nature specials at one time or another, but anyway...

LOL! Love your commentary, Elaine! :) I'm thinking that the camera averts it's "eyes" due to the fact that there may be wee ones watching (like Kinderchicklets! :o) so they want to keep the viewing to PG13! ;) It is a "family show", after all! ;)

Offline Elaine L

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #61 on: February 08, 2011, 15:29 »
Well, Kalluk is all lovey-dovey this afternoon, trying out his best moves on his beloved, Chinook, who continues to give him the brush-off.  He follows her around all over the place, and the best I can say right now is that she is at least not giving him a swat in the face anymore or running away, so maybe some hormones are kicking in. 

Every time he gets really amorous and tries to mate with her, the camera moves away; I don't know why, I think most of us have seen animals mating in nature specials at one time or another, but anyway...

Meanwhile, Kalluk's sister looks completely puzzled by her brother's behavior.  He no longer wants to play with her in the water, which they used to do every afternoon.  I believe she feels abit left out of things right now, and misses the fun they used to have.  All this mating business is having an effect on everyone, I guess.

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #60 on: January 19, 2011, 19:11 »
LOL, Elaine! I agree with you though and I do feel a wee bit sorry for Kalluk.

Offline Elaine L

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
2011 Polar Bear - California / San Diego Zoo
« Reply #59 on: January 19, 2011, 16:18 »
Poor Kalluk.  He follows Chinook around, hoping for a friendly response, and she does not give him the time of day.  After a while, he gets depressed about the whole thing and goes and sits on a rock, watching her from a distance.   At the rate things are going now, he and Chinook will never mate again; if this continues, he is going to forget what his parts are for, and there will be no pitter-patter of baby feet ever. I think the Zoo should bring in another female for him, one that will appreciate his many fine qualities. These one-sided love affairs are so hopeless...

Offline Elaine L

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
Re: 2010 - Polar Bear - California / San Diego Zoo
« Reply #58 on: December 17, 2010, 13:13 »
Oh, those polar bears.  I have noticed that Kalluk has been giving Chinook the eye, and I think he would be happy to have another go at baby-making, but Chinook has not shown much interest in this idea, so far.  She spends time playing with the dynamic duo, but she is more of a loner.  She likes to spend time doing the backstroke in the pool, and she is usually the first one that wants to get back to other side of their enclosure, often waiting at the gate for someone to open the door.  Kalluk and his sister have as much fun playing together as always, but he sure is making goo-goo eyes at Chinook.  We will see if she shows any interest in the baby business, but she is pretty old, in polar bear years.  I guess the Zoo team thinks she could still have a baby, but I think this would not be very likely.  Right now, she is dealing with a pot belly and she likes her food, much like me.

Offline Elaine L

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #57 on: December 07, 2010, 10:56 »
All three bears are now back together in the main enclosure.  The Zoo says that it is going to monitor them closely, just in case there are any arguments over food sharing, but right now, they are happily frolicking together.  They all seem delighted to be back together again.  The Zoo says that mating season is just around the corner, so we will see if Chinook and Kalluk will bring us the patter of little feet sometime next fall.

Offline Elaine L

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #56 on: December 02, 2010, 16:34 »
All three bears were on display just now, but Chinook was behind the fence, looking at her two friends as if she was very anxious to join them.  I could only see her from the head up, peering through the fence at Kalluk and Tatqik, trying to figure out a way to get to them, so I couldn't tell if she still has the pregnant look or not.  Kalluk seemed to be very intent on impressing her, which meant he first was laying flat on his back with his legs sticking up the air, and as he is not always a model of dignity, scratching himself, and this is when the camera decides to zoom in, then, in an unusually aggressive display for him, he got up and chased his sister around the enclosure, batting and snapping at her.  I think this was all for the benefit of Chinook, showing her what a tough guy he is.  Poor Chinook looked bewildered, but you could also see that she wanted to join her companions.  As for Tatqik, I think she knows how to handle her brother, and if he gets too aggressive, she lets him know.

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #55 on: November 15, 2010, 17:08 »
Aw!!!  :( Very disappointing news, to hear that Chinook is not pregnant.  :'( I was lookinfg forward to seeing a baby polar bear with my Kinderchicklets... Maybe next year? :-\

Offline Elaine L

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #54 on: November 15, 2010, 12:05 »
The latest information from the Zoo is disappointing; they do not now believe that Chinook is pregnant, and they say the window of opportunity here is closing.  Also, nothing has showed up on the ultrasounds, which Chinook so readily participates in.  They are now looking to next year.  I was really looking forward to seeing a polar bear baby, and considering the size of Chinook's belly, I felt certain we were about to participate in this rare and wonderful event in the polar bear world.  It would have made by winter, and my Christmas, for that matter.  Sigh....

Offline Saoirse

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #53 on: November 15, 2010, 10:59 »
You're not alone, Elaine. I don't check the polar bear cam every day, but definitely look in on the bears from time to time. I think the San Diego zoo does a fantastic job with their cams, and polar bears are amazing animals to watch.

Offline Elaine L

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #52 on: November 15, 2010, 10:08 »
I am a big fan of the polar bears, Kinderchick, especially at this time of the year, when our falcons have pretty well all gone south.  I think you, Tracy and I are perhaps the only ones following the polar bear cam, but that is o.k., I am happy to report to and interact with anyone who is interested, no matter how small this group may be.

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #51 on: November 12, 2010, 21:57 »
Didn't get a chance to see Kalluk today, but enjoyed hearing about his antics through you, Elaine. :D

Offline Elaine L

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #50 on: November 12, 2010, 16:37 »
Kalluk and the crows had abit of a dust-up this afternoon.  He had left a huge bone over by the water, and the crows, not slow to notice a feeding opportunity, went for it.  I could see Kalluk giving them "the look", then he went after them.  Crows are very smart, so, of course, they just fly up out of his reach, and land on the other side of him, so he turns around and chases them again.  He kept up this back-and-forth for a bit, and then decided that perhaps the best course of action was just to take his bone with him and go into the corner.  The last I saw, the crows were waiting for him to doze off or lose interest in the bone, then victory would be theirs.

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #49 on: November 11, 2010, 13:30 »
I love watching Kalluk do anything at all!  :D Right now he is sitting on a rock in the water while eating something.  8)

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #48 on: November 10, 2010, 13:25 »
LOL, Elaine! Not to worry!  ;)

Offline Elaine L

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #47 on: November 10, 2010, 10:15 »
Yes, Kinderchick, I am.  And good grief, I put the post in the wrong place.  If we are the only ones watching and commenting on the SDZoo cams, no one else will notice my mistake, but if others are reading the posts, I am sure they will be wondering what is happening with the elephants.

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #46 on: November 09, 2010, 20:13 »
Are you talking about the polar bears, Elaine? ???

Offline Elaine L

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #45 on: November 09, 2010, 16:51 »
Kalluk and his sister really dazzled the crowds today while in the pool.  He grabbed her and slammed her up against the viewing window a couple of times, grabbed her in a bear-hug and practically squeezed the life out of her, then got her in a headlock and tried to drown her; of course, not really.  At the end of all this thrashing about, Kalluk planted his butt on the window, while his sister took off in a huff.  Human wrestlers could not have put on a better show today than these two. 

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #44 on: October 30, 2010, 12:29 »
Polar bears in Manitoba don't den until December I believe so it may be awhile until ya find out Elaine!  Maybe they need a countdown timer  ;)

;D

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #43 on: October 30, 2010, 10:21 »
The zoo is still waiting to see if Chinook is going to be a mother.  Everyone is anxious to know, but Chinook is not talking.

Polar bears in Manitoba don't den until December I believe so it may be awhile until ya find out Elaine!  Maybe they need a countdown timer  ;)

Offline Elaine L

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #42 on: October 29, 2010, 16:21 »
Well, I guess I was wrong about the polar bears not being interested in the reindeers next door.  They took more than a passing interest in little baby Boris, who had to be taken from the herd after birth because he was so weak, and is now being re-introduced to the herd slowly by means of a separate pen next to the polar bear enclosure.  The bears were apparently very interested in him, so the keepers had to put up a protective barrier, just to be on the safe side. 

The zoo is still waiting to see if Chinook is going to be a mother.  Everyone is anxious to know, but Chinook is not talking.

Offline Elaine L

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #41 on: October 26, 2010, 14:21 »
Both Kalluk and his sister, Tatqiq, seem to have a love affair with traffic cones.  The cones don't contain any treats, they don't have any softness, the bears don't wear them and they don't chew on them, yet there is Tatqiq with her paws wrapped around the cone, blissfully happy with this addition to her life.  Maybe it is the color or the smell, or maybe the bears consider these cones to be the bear version of bling.

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #40 on: October 20, 2010, 19:21 »
LOL, Elaine! ;D Yes, I did see that big guy, Kalluk! Quite the big "show off" is right! :D

Offline Elaine L

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #39 on: October 20, 2010, 14:22 »
That Kalluk, what a big show-off he is!  Right now, he is right in front of the window, wowing the crowds as he thrashes around in the water.  It is all for effect, as he could easily grab the bone that is wedged in beside a rock, but polar bears have excellent hearing, and I am sure he can hear the oohs and ahs of the crowds on the other side of the window, and he loves to play to the crowd.  His legs were almost straight up in the air at one point, with his head balanced on the window.  When he came crashing down, I am sure they heard it on the other side of the zoo.

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #38 on: October 18, 2010, 21:05 »
...Right now, Kalluk is dragging his sister around the pool, but she is very quick, and can skate circles around him, so to speak.  He is very good at pouncing and making a huge splash, but she has his number when it comes to tactics.
Yes! I did see this, earlier this afternoon... you are right, Elaine, she certainly does have his number! ;)

Offline Elaine L

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #37 on: October 18, 2010, 15:32 »
Just a few minutes ago, Kalluk's sister stole his carrot.  There are carrots scattered all around their compound, but no, she had to have his.  Just like my dogs, and people, for that matter.  We are more alike than we think.

The bears often wrestle and roughhouse right in front of the spectator window,  so all the people standing there get an excellent close-up, which must be thrilling. 

Right now, Kalluk is dragging his sister around the pool, but she is very quick, and can skate circles around him, so to speak.  He is very good at pouncing and making a huge splash, but she has his number when it comes to tactics.

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #36 on: October 18, 2010, 15:15 »
What an entertainer that Kalluk is.  Right now, he has bellied up to the bar and put his elbows on the counter, as he looks for a cold one.  Of course, his bar is a big rock in the water, but this is exactly what he looks like he is doing.
Ha! Now I know exactly what you mean, Elaine! I saw Kalluk "belly on up to the bar" to eat his carrots not long ago. Very funny to see, indeed! :D

Offline Elaine L

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #35 on: October 14, 2010, 14:53 »
What an entertainer that Kalluk is.  Right now, he has bellied up to the bar and put his elbows on the counter, as he looks for a cold one.  Of course, his bar is a big rock in the water, but this is exactly what he looks like he is doing.

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #34 on: October 13, 2010, 20:54 »
Yes, I did see that blog today on the website, Elaine. So I guess we just wait to see. ;)

Offline Elaine L

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #33 on: October 13, 2010, 14:21 »
Here is the latest from the head keeper for our polar bears:

As soon as I arrived at the polar bear building at the San Diego Zoo, Chinook came out of her bed to say good morning, so I asked her, “Are you really going to have two?” She simply winked at me; if she does know, she’s keeping us all in suspense. Every week during her ultrasound exams we are so hopeful of finding just a little hint of what may be to come. We realize what an incredible task this is to find something so small in such a large belly!

Chinook’s behavior is still very consistent with a pregnant polar bear. A few weeks ago we stopped letting her out on exhibit with Kalluk and Tatqiq, since she seemed to be less tolerant of their presence. This week we stopped having Chinook on exhibit at all or letting Kalluk and Tatqiq into Chinook’s side of the bedroom area and yard. We will continue this for the next few months until we know for sure if our Chinook will be joined by one or two little ones. We are now in the expected due date range if Chinook is pregnant: October 9 to December 15. Believe me, we are all so hopeful and excited!

So date wise, I got it wrong:  if Chinook is pregnant, we may not know it until mid-December. 

Meanwhile, they added this report on our brother and sister team:

Our other two polar bears, Kalluk and Tatqiq, are having a great time being full-time ambassadors. With autumn arriving, it seems they spend more time in the pool. Every day the brother-and-sister pair are enjoying roughhousing together. They are great playmates and always play to each other’s level, never getting too rough. It is so nice to see that their bond has stayed so strong.

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #32 on: October 13, 2010, 13:50 »
My Kinderchicklets finally got to see Tatqiq munching on her healthy carrots this morning, right after their "healthy" snack time! ;D 8)

Offline Elaine L

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #31 on: October 13, 2010, 11:16 »
Tatqiq is front and center right now, munching on her carrots.  These polar bears must have really healthy teeth. 

You can always tell Tatqiq from her brother because she does not have a black blob on her back.  The blog site says that once Kalluk's fur grows back, the blob will disappear, but his back has been like this for months now, as the fur does not seem to be growing back.  I gather it is nothing more serious, as they would have checked it out by now if they suspected it was. 

The bears can see other wildlife, like elk/deer going by, from their enclosure, and they do not seem too interested; I guess if they saw a seal in the water, they would be more interested, as their hunting instincts would likely kick in, but there is no way of knowing this with any certainty.  For the most part, the way they play, observe their surroundings, and eat reminds me more of my dogs than polar bears in the wild.  It makes one wonder what wild polar bears would be like if they had the time to rest, relax, and have fun.

Offline Elaine L

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #30 on: October 11, 2010, 20:48 »
For those of you who were asking about the camera, apparently it just freezes and then goes abit crazy every now and then, according to the Polar Bear Blog site.  They don't seem to know why.  But, if you wait a few minutes, or close the screen then wait abit before re-opening, it goes back to normal.  Lately, it has also being timing out, and "No video available" pops up on the screen.

Still waiting to know if Chinook is pregnant, or not.  If nothing happens by the end of the month, I guess we will know she is not, and that would be a real disappointment.  She is still avoiding the other two, and takes her morning constitutional very early; she can see Kalluk and Tatqik over on the other side of their enclosure, and Kalluk looks at her very longingly, but she just gives him a passing glance.  Her belly is just dragging on the ground, so if this is a false pregnancy, it is a pretty dramatic one.

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #29 on: October 10, 2010, 13:30 »
Looks as if the camera lens has been fixed. :) Finally got to see Kalluk and Tatqiq playing in the water not long ago. :D

Offline sami

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #28 on: October 08, 2010, 13:44 »
Oops - spoke too soon. Picture is now clear, no sign of crack or scratches, but definitely water. Just no bears in sight.

Offline sami

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #27 on: October 08, 2010, 13:42 »
Looks like the camera is aimed at water - with a possible crack and lots of scratches. Maybe it had a close encounter with a playful polar bear?

Offline Linder

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #26 on: October 08, 2010, 13:36 »
I went to the site and the picture is a big blur. Look like cracks as well.

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #25 on: October 08, 2010, 13:26 »
Looks to me as if the camera lens is cracked. What do you think, Elaine? :-\

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #24 on: October 07, 2010, 14:32 »
Looks as if Kalluk is munching on some "veggies" right now. :D

Offline Elaine L

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2010, 12:55 »
This morning, Tatqiq, Kalluk's sister, made a brazen "attack" on Kalluk.  She came out of the water, dripping wet, went up to him where he was soundly sleeping, and sprayed water all over him.  He jumped about a foot in the air, and she took off back to the pool.  I guess she wanted him to come to the pool to play with her for a while, and after he got over being mad, he joined her; but, she didn't stick around too long, as he kept pulling on her ear and dragging her around the pool, so now he is splashing around there by himself.

Offline RCF

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #22 on: October 06, 2010, 20:58 »
Rapidcitymbfan and Kinderchick,

I go to this site about 10 a.m., noon, 1:00 and 2:00 p.m. MST, and I usually always see Kalluk, the big male, or his sister, Tatqiq.  Also, sometimes when I look in about 9:00 a.m., I see Chinook, who wanders around the area by herself for while, then leaves, and the other two arrive.  I often minimize the camera to the corner of my computer, so I can see if anything is going on throughout the day with Kalluk, as he is very funny to watch.  And the new camera they installed looks for the bears, and is very close up, which is great.

Gee, I work between 7am and 3:30pm ::) , so I probably will only be able to catch them at those times on the weekends. ;)

Offline Elaine L

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2010, 16:13 »
If anyone is interested in seeing Kalluk take his dirt bath again, take a look now. 

Offline Elaine L

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2010, 10:26 »
You can recognize Kalluk by the big dark patch on his back that looks like a tatoo, Kinderchick; other than that, he is huge compared to his two companions.  You sure can see the difference in strength, too, when he play-fights with his sister.  He tries to not use too much force, and to crouch down to her level so he is not overpowering her, but sometimes this doesn't work.  When he is too much for her, and he hits her too hard, she leaves the scene, so now I think they are at the point where she doesn't really want to play with him anymore.  So, the keepers have to find things for Kalluk to do to keep him busy and use up his energy.  In the wild, of course, he would not have this problem.  Just an additional note, if you didn't already read this, all three bears were orphaned at a very young age.

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2010, 17:52 »
I was watching at 11:30 this morning, Elaine and I think it was Kalluk I saw, chowing down on a big hunk of "something" for lunch! 8) Didn't see the others, though.

Offline Elaine L

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2010, 11:15 »
If anyone has a chance to look right now, they will see all three bears, including the hopefully pregnant Chinook, who is front and center at the moment.

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2010, 20:54 »
Thanks, Elaine! I am going to try for some of the times you have mentioned, or better still, leave the webcam open for the morning so my Kinderchicklets can let me know when they see some action.  :D They were very good about announcing any peregrine falcon action last Spring! ;)

Offline Elaine L

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2010, 17:03 »
Kalluk has been rolling around in a dirt bath for the last 20 minutes, and he looks as happy as a clam.  He is so black, he is hardly recognizable.  My dogs have never gotten that dirty.  I hate to be the one trying to get him clean.  I don't think a dip in the pool will do the job.

Offline Elaine L

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2010, 11:46 »
Of course, right after I write this, I look in on the Polar Bear Cam at the specified time, and nothing is happening.  Oh, wait, I spoke too soon:  now, both siblings are there, looking for their treats.

Offline Elaine L

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2010, 10:58 »
Rapidcitymbfan and Kinderchick,

I go to this site about 10 a.m., noon, 1:00 and 2:00 p.m. MST, and I usually always see Kalluk, the big male, or his sister, Tatqiq.  Also, sometimes when I look in about 9:00 a.m., I see Chinook, who wanders around the area by herself for while, then leaves, and the other two arrive.  I often minimize the camera to the corner of my computer, so I can see if anything is going on throughout the day with Kalluk, as he is very funny to watch.  And the new camera they installed looks for the bears, and is very close up, which is great.

Offline RCF

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2010, 16:37 »
Whenever I go to this site, I never see any action.  :( When is the best time to see some of the action, Elaine? ??? I would like to show my Kinderchicklets.

Me either!  I would like to know also.  :)

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2010, 14:43 »
Whenever I go to this site, I never see any action.  :( When is the best time to see some of the action, Elaine? ??? I would like to show my Kinderchicklets.

Offline Elaine L

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2010, 15:46 »
In the polar bear world at the San Diego Zoo, there is always news to report, as, of course, they are not going anywhere.  Kalluk, the big male, is being very accommodating to his sister today.  He has a favourite spot where he likes to roll around, on top of the big rock, and she came along and took it over with barely a "move over"; he was o.k. with this, and went and sat elsewhere, but then later he decided to go to another of his favourite spots, under the big rock, where he can keep cool, and his sister came in and took that over, too, so now you have the two of them crammed in there, and it is hardly big enough for one.  So far, he has been very good about this, as he is mostly a good-natured fellow, but as I speak, he is trying to get back his shady chair, and she will have none of it. 

I don't know if this is payback time for her or not, as yesterday, he pushed her very hard while they were play-fighting in the pool, and she was upset with him and left. 

The more I watch these bears, the more fascinating they become.  They have so much personality, a sense of play, and good and bad behavior - much like humans, I guess.

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2010, 20:59 »
Great news for Chinook but not so great for Kalluk, right now. :(

Offline Elaine L

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2010, 13:10 »
The Zoo does, indeed, believe that Chinook is pregnant, and expecting sometime between October and December.  They won't know for sure, though, until the baby cubs appear, they say.  But, as Chinook is pushing her mate, Kalluk, away now, and is not interested in spending time with him or with his sister, Tatqiq, they are pretty certain.  Of course, she also has a huge stomach, practically dragging on the ground.  But the Zoo says that this could still be, although unlikely, a false pregnancy.  Meanwhile, poor Kalluk doesn't know what is happening with his beloved, and is somewhat bewildered and abit sulky on occasion, it seems.  The poor guy is so out of the loop.  So, if all goes well, we will see his babies soon, and everyone is so looking forward to this.

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2010, 21:49 »
Lucky you, Elaine!  :D I tuned in today and didn't see any action.  :(

Offline Elaine L

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2010, 17:21 »
Our big male, Kalluk, had a good day today.  Seeing as the females are not always that anxious to play with him, he invents his own games.  So he chases the balls in the water for a while, then, as there is no one there to throw sticks for him, he throws them himself, and then chases them.  After carrying on madly with this for a while, he goes for a nap with a traffic cone, which he seems to have taken a shine to.  After a while, he heads off for the water again to arrange for his daily self-managed back massage.  He is always so good at entertaining himself, which is a good thing, considering he is in a zoo, he needs to be active, and his options are limited.

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2010, 19:44 »
You're right, Elaine. They are very funny to watch! ;D

Offline Elaine L

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2010, 16:08 »
If you are looking for a laugh a day, watch these polar bears regularly.  They have some sense of humor, and they sure like to play.  For example, one of the females doesn't like to get wet, so she will hang over the rock ledge trying to grab a toy in the water, which is not easy when you don't have really long arms.  Then the male, who loves the water, will come along and splash her while he is frolicking around, and she gets mad and leaves the scene, while he looks around as if to say "what did I do?" 

Offline Elaine L

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2010, 15:56 »
Well, they don't say anything on the site, but Miss Chinook (I believe) is either very fat, or pregnant.  I hope they will tell us soon if she is, indeed, a mother.  And this afternoon an interesting thing happened with her, as when she went over to the big screen that separates her from people, where she apparently gets treats from her keepers, she got tired of waiting for the treat and reared up and pushed the screen, which came loose; the keepers were right there to fix it, and I don't think it would have fallen out, but if it had, it is hard to say what would have happened.  The people on the one side could very well have been injured, and would have been scared, and Miss Chinook could well have been frightened or injured.  And she is not used to seeing people running around screaming, so I don't know how she would have reacted to this.

Offline Elaine L

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2010, 17:00 »
It is such a pleasure to watch these intelligent and curious animals; especially now, if the Zoo can confirm that Chinook is pregnant.  http://blogs.sandiegozoo.org/blog/2010/07/13/polar-bears-%e2%80%9cwhos-who%e2%80%9d/

Polar bears like to move around alot, so the Zoo tries to keep them as stimulated and happy as possible, considering their closed environment, by hiding their food in containers in the water, and making them work for it. Right now, it looks like it is Tatqiq, the other female, who is sleeping under a rock, taking a well-deserved nap after all her work in getting her food out of a tight spot!

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2010, 12:45 »
And for those of you looking for the link ....

San Diego Zoo Polar Bear Cam,
San Diego, California

http://www.sandiegozoo.org/polarcam/index.html

Offline Elaine L

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
Polar Bears - California / San Diego Zoo
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2010, 12:19 »
These polar bears at the San Diego Zoo are real characters:  yesterday, they spent an hour playing "I am King of the Castle", pouncing on each other on the rock in the middle of the pool; of course, someone has to leave, as both can't fit on there, but they have each figured out how to be the owner of this rock for a short time, anyway;  anyone watching them would be able to see that they have what we call, in human terms, a great sense of humor.