Author Topic: McKenzie Seeds - 2010 / Brooklyn & Hurricane  (Read 87232 times)

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
McKenzie Seeds - 2010 / April
« Reply #62 on: April 11, 2010, 20:11 »
Thanks for the updates, Rose and RCF!  :D Very interesting... now all we need is for them to be identified! :-\

Offline Rose

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #61 on: April 11, 2010, 19:58 »
was down to parkade at noon,a falcon was sitting on south east roof corner Mckenzie building,looked to be a different bird than we have been seeing since february 2nd she was eating dinner,no other bird around so I went home.RCF called about 1pm she said there was a falcon sitting in the nest box so back I went. THe falcon was still sitting there. We watched for a while (we were in a parking lot north side of Pacific) and then went up to the parkade, Falcon still in nest box and we then spotted another falcon sitting on mts tower. This one was very sleek and neat, very white breast and silvery grey back,also a lot smaller than bird sitting in nest box. He sat there just looking like he owned the place and finally flew to decoative ledge and proceeded to pluck a bird (feathers looked like a gull) the other falcon continued to sit in the nest box and would disappear inside at times and I'll leave the rest of the story for rcf cause she's going to check again before she goes home. Falcon was still in nest box when we left.

oops I meant to say april 2nd

Offline RCF

• Old Bird
« Reply #60 on: April 11, 2010, 17:34 »
Tracy, is there anyone out here in Brandon that is able to identify our falcons, because our binos are just not powerful enough to see?

Offline RCF

• Old Bird
« Reply #59 on: April 11, 2010, 17:18 »
Yes, we have two falcons here.  8) On Saturday I thought I saw one in the nestbox and one chasing pigeons. By the time I got up to parkade, I only saw one having dinner on the southeast corner of roof.  I had to go to Brandon today because I was just too curious to wait until monday ::). I parked just northeast of Mckenzie bldg and sure enough there was a falcon in nestbox. I believe this is not the same falcon (supposedly Hurricane) we have been seeing for the past week and a half. Rose and I were watching from parkade and finally saw second falcon perched on MTS tower (think it's Zeus). The falcon in nestbox is very much larger than the other one on MTS tower. We also may have or had a bit of drama because while these two falcons were perched, we saw a third falcon circling to the east. Maybe its Zeus and Holly and Hurricane was chased off.  ???  The falcon in the nestbox pretty much stayed there for the two hours I was watching. Her back feathers were kind of gray silvery and she had a very dark cap, much larger than who we think was Hurricane.

Offline Rose

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #58 on: April 11, 2010, 15:59 »
was down to parkade at noon,a falcon was sitting on south east roof corner Mckenzie building,looked to be a different bird than we have been seeing since february 2nd she was eating dinner,no other bird around so I went home.RCF called about 1pm she said there was a falcon sitting in the nest box so back I went. THe falcon was still sitting there. We watched for a while (we were in a parking lot north side of Pacific) and then went up to the parkade, Falcon still in nest box and we then spotted another falcon sitting on mts tower. This one was very sleek and neat, very white breast and silvery grey back,also a lot smaller than bird sitting in nest box. He sat there just looking like he owned the place and finally flew to decoative ledge and proceeded to pluck a bird (feathers looked like a gull) the other falcon continued to sit in the nest box and would disappear inside at times and I'll leave the rest of the story for rcf cause she's going to check again before she goes home. Falcon was still in nest box when we left.

Offline RCF

• Old Bird
« Reply #57 on: April 09, 2010, 18:21 »
I saw the birdie this morning, perched at bottom of clock tower. She flew off the ledge and perched on the S of the Scotia Bank building, but only for a few minutes and then was off to chase pigeons. Like Rose said, it is very very windy here, gusting up to 60kmh so birdie will probably be somewhere out of the wind.

Offline Rose

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #56 on: April 09, 2010, 12:18 »
well today there were no Birdies any place on Mckenzies or flying( as far as I could see) but it's pretty windy so hope any body around is hunkered down.

Offline RCF

• Old Bird
« Reply #55 on: April 09, 2010, 06:37 »
Here's hoping that if there are two birdies that they'll make an appearance together today.

Thank you for all the updates.

I really hope so too.  :)

Offline Jo

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #54 on: April 09, 2010, 06:11 »
Here's hoping that if there are two birdies that they'll make an appearance together today.

Thank you for all the updates.

Offline RCF

• Old Bird
« Reply #53 on: April 08, 2010, 18:52 »
If there are two falcons here, I have not seen both together yet.  :(

Offline BirdLover

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #52 on: April 08, 2010, 13:30 »
Of course, guess who didn't have their binocs with them  ::)

Offline Rose

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #51 on: April 08, 2010, 11:27 »
Welcome back Birdlover!We can use your expertise, this lovely birdie wouldn't come down low enough to show her legs,the lowest I've seen her/him is the nest box and that's a long way from the parkade so you were lucky to see him/her on the tower. Rcf is convinced its Hurricane because of where it perches and general appearance, it is definitly not Zeus.

Offline Elaine L

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #50 on: April 08, 2010, 10:47 »
Why would anyone call pigeons flying rats?  Pigeons are gentle birds that have managed to survive the onslaught of humanity in ever-larger cities, plus they don't have a mean bone in their bodies.  And rats are clever rodents that have been used by humans in countless experiments to better our lives.  The derogatory term flying rats does not seem right for either species. 

Offline Moonstar

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #49 on: April 08, 2010, 10:30 »
Yay!!!   :)

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
« Reply #48 on: April 08, 2010, 09:35 »
Got a report from other Brandon spotters - "male" spotted on April 3rd and "female" spotted on April 4th.  Given that last year's female is the size of a male, very likely the same bird but who knows ....