Author Topic: McKenzie Seeds - 2010 / Brooklyn & Hurricane  (Read 87184 times)

Offline Rose

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
McKenzie Seeds - 2010 / April
« Reply #77 on: April 15, 2010, 14:10 »
Oh how I wish we had an I.D. on these two! :) Anytime soon? ???
soon ! soon ! Stranger from the big city has been working on it but pretty birdies haven't been any more cooperative for her than for us  ;D at noon male was on s of the scotia tower and female was on top east light of mckenzie tower too far away and staying put.  ::) 
« Last Edit: April 15, 2010, 14:12 by Rose »

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #76 on: April 15, 2010, 13:02 »
Oh how I wish we had an I.D. on these two! :) Anytime soon? ???

Offline BirdLover

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #75 on: April 15, 2010, 12:40 »
Downtown last evening about 6:30.  One sitting on the nest box and the other on the northeast corner at the base of the clock tower.  The one on the nest box had a brilliant white bib.  Passed by again around 8 and only saw the one on the corner of the building.

Offline Jo

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #74 on: April 14, 2010, 17:04 »
wo falcons were circling around the tower, they both landed and I saw what Tracy and Bccs call canoodling  :o  ::)  So I'm thinking, gonna be eggs in the future.  ;D

That sounds promising!  ;)

Offline RCF

• Old Bird
« Reply #73 on: April 14, 2010, 06:09 »
RapidcityMBfan
I tried to enlarge your picture for you. I f you like it , I will make it less blurry. If you do not want it then I will delete it.
Yes ,yes thank you bev, that would be wonderful. :)

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #72 on: April 13, 2010, 23:54 »
RapidcityMBfan
I tried to enlarge your picture for you. I f you like it , I will make it less blurry. If you do not want it then I will delete it.

« Last Edit: April 13, 2010, 23:56 by bev. »

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #71 on: April 13, 2010, 23:43 »
I am so excited  for you that you have 2 falcons back. :-* :-* Hopefully no drama

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #70 on: April 13, 2010, 19:36 »
...two falcons were circling around the tower, they both landed and I saw what Tracy and Bccs call canoodling  :o  ::)  So I'm thinking, gonna be eggs in the future.  ;D
Excellent, RCF! ;)

Offline RCF

• Old Bird
« Reply #69 on: April 13, 2010, 19:30 »
Today I  went to the north side of MTS tower building (hotel parking lot) because falcon was perched up on post. I have a fairly close view, thought I could see green on her left leg.  She stayed for quite a while and I took a couple of pictures  http://www2.snapfish.com/thumbnailshare/AlbumID=2078047021/a=1352593021_1352593021/otsc=SHR/otsi=SALBlink/COBRAND_NAME=snapfish/ This was the best one with my little camera. She left and a minute later two falcons were circling around the tower, they both landed and I saw what Tracy and Bccs call canoodling  :o  ::)  So I'm thinking, gonna be eggs in the future.  ;D

Offline RCF

• Old Bird
« Reply #68 on: April 12, 2010, 18:44 »
At lunchtime I went out to 9th street to see if I could get a glimpse of birdies. Saw pigeons flying towards north above me and I looked behind them and saw falcon flying low right down middle of street (below street light level) with lunch in talons.  8) ;D Flew to northwest of McK bldg ledge. A minute later I saw another falcon leave nestbox chasing pigeons, while I was there it didn't have any luck and went to northwest ledge.  At 5pm I drove to west side of building in back lane, birdie was perched on west ledge. While I was watching, a very large raptor was circling above. Whoever was perched on ledge was voicing their displeasure.  :)
« Last Edit: April 12, 2010, 18:46 by Rapidcitymbfan »

Offline Loriann

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #67 on: April 12, 2010, 13:16 »
we did say resistance is futile.. muhahahahaha   ;D

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
« Reply #66 on: April 12, 2010, 13:15 »
Ah, now I know you have been assimilated  ;D

Oh, and talking about leg bands, Carly sent me a link to a photo of a returning peregrine (somewhere in the States, don't remember right now - sorry) and it turned out to be a bird banded last year.  That part isn't the neatest though, the bird still had the coloured tape on its aluminium band!!!  Honestly didn't think it would last through a whole winter but it in fact looked like it had been put on the day before, not a couple months shy of a year ago!!

So keep an eye on those bands, you just never know what you might find!
« Last Edit: April 12, 2010, 13:17 by The Peregrine Chick »

Offline Rose

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #65 on: April 12, 2010, 11:46 »
Just home from parkade (Icy winds today brrr),no falcons any place, I was going back toward the car when I saw a falcon circling to the north so I went to the west side  and there were 2 flying together, they circled the tower a couple of times and one lit on the west light and one went around to the north light.I waited a few more mins. they seemed like they weren't going any place and it was really cold so I came home.Yes tpc I know to check colour of band and which leg it's on but these little beauties aren't very cooperative. What we need you to do is to clone Dennis and send him(clone) to Brandon. rcf and I always go home and check Dennis's photos to see if we can spot anything that is similar with the bird we have just seen. ;D ;)
« Last Edit: April 12, 2010, 11:50 by Rose »

Offline RCF

• Old Bird
« Reply #64 on: April 12, 2010, 06:29 »
I know its a terrible hardship to keep an eye on such unattractive and clumsy birds  ;) :D

The hard part is I have to work and they are one block away, but always checking on breaks and lunch time  :)

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
« Reply #63 on: April 11, 2010, 22:43 »
The Brandon gang know about the peregrines, were by to seem them last week and I'm sure we will get an id pretty soon!  But don't give up trying with the binocs, colours on bands and which leg are great assistance ... helps to narrow down what we should be looking at!  For example, both Zeus and Hurricane will have black bands - if one of the birds there now has a different colour, we know we have new birds and we should probably keep an eye out for old birds returning and passing through.  So keep up the great work, I know its a terrible hardship to keep an eye on such unattractive and clumsy birds  ;) :D