Author Topic: McKenzie Seeds - 2010 / Brooklyn & Hurricane  (Read 129867 times)

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
McKenzie Seeds - 2010 / May
« Reply #137 on: May 01, 2010, 11:12 »
Very interesting! Maybe 3 peregrines out there?! :o

Offline RCF

• Old Bird
« Reply #136 on: May 01, 2010, 09:07 »
What was the significance of the the flying display RCF saw april 29th was it just having fun or was it greeting a new friend?
This is from April 29th Today I watched our two falcons swooping and playing talon tag around the McKenzie building and the MTS tower. Its amazing how fast they were flying in and around the buildings   They were cacking and flying upside down, touching talons. Pretty Cool

Or was this an unfriendly meeting with one of them trying to chase the other away?
 TPC, What's your take on this?
« Last Edit: May 01, 2010, 11:58 by The Peregrine Chick »

Offline Rose

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #135 on: May 01, 2010, 08:28 »
sorry I made a mistake (still learning) meant to answer tpc's post but didn't happen so here goes :D
Very interesting TPC just like a murder mystery many questions to be answered ( who' who and what's what). The bird seen yesterday is bigger than the male could Hurricane have grown over the winter? What was the significance of the the flying display RCF saw april 29th was it just having fun or was it greeting a new friend? The falcons we have been watching have spend a lot of time in and around the nest box as well on mts tower. Or may be we have a(menage a Trois) lol! Rcf says the malar stripes of  female from yesterday seemed different from Holly's  in Dennis's photos.Also you probably know the best and closest place to see the pair is from the parking lot just to the north of mts tower. We are just amatures and having lots of fun. ;D

From TPC:  no worries Rose, easy to fix  :)
« Last Edit: May 01, 2010, 12:02 by The Peregrine Chick »

Offline RCF

• Old Bird
« Reply #134 on: May 01, 2010, 07:27 »
Rose and I did see three falcons on April 11th, two on buildings and one flying up above parkade.  Just have to keep looking I guess.  :)

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
« Reply #133 on: May 01, 2010, 01:38 »
No worries RCF and Rose, there are others out there trying to get an ID on the Brandon birds too.  There are a number of excellent birders with high-powered scopes who are trying as well as Manitoba Conservation staff.  We may even have a report this weekend or early next week with information on whether they have begun to nest. 

And don't worry about the timing, it always takes longer to get the Brandon IDs because I can cheat and get them at the Radisson with the spycam.  Keep in mind that the West Winnipeg birds have been back for longer and I still don't have an ID on the male yet!

And about that black band, interesting that you should see it today ... had a report from yesterday that there were three peregrines at McKenzie Seeds from a more than reliable source.  One scenario could be that we have all been watching Holly (who a bicoloured band for the new folks) and that she has been displaced by Hurricane who has a solid black band on her right leg.  Another scenario is that no one has been displaced and Hurricane has been there all the time.  Or a new black-banded bird has been there all the time.

A little adventure and mystery at this time of year is fun, too much is sometimes hard on the system  :o

Offline RCF

• Old Bird
McKenzie Seeds - 2010 / April
« Reply #132 on: April 30, 2010, 20:43 »
Just do your best RCF.  I have support here but not Id support. they seem to think I can do it by magic. I cannot afford a scope yet.  So my motto is: I have RAdisson and a male. They make babies. Best I can do right now.

I look every day and I too can not afford a scope. I just watch and wait for them to perch where I can see them fairly well with binos, which is on the old MTS tower and is only about seven stories high.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2010, 20:46 by Rapidcitymbfan »

Offline Jo

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #131 on: April 30, 2010, 20:41 »
RCF & Rose, your updates are wonderful - those birdies seem to have made a game of hiding their legs from you! I can't even begin to imagine how you can spot those tiny little bands.

Sounds like you have a boy & girl with some romance making going on . . . .it's all good.

Thanks again for your posts.

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #130 on: April 30, 2010, 20:22 »
Just do your best RCF.  I have support here but not Id support. they seem to think I can do it by magic. I cannot afford a scope yet.  So my motto is: I have RAdisson and a male. They make babies. Best I can do right now.

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #129 on: April 30, 2010, 20:18 »
RCF, I am so surprised that there is no one out your way, to help with observations and ID. :o  All the more important for you and Rose and birdlover to "hang in there". I appreciate all of your postings as I know many others here on the Forum do too. I wish we could help you out more. Maybe TPC will be able to help with your ID of a black band on right leg. :-\

Offline RCF

• Old Bird
« Reply #128 on: April 30, 2010, 20:08 »
Tracy, Help, Help.  I am not too sure who the female is here because today I watched the male bring her a gift, which she took from him and proceeded to eat it.  After she finished, she walked along the girder on MTS tower and I watched her clean her beak and this is when I saw her right leg. The band was black on right leg and I could see the blood on her talons from her meal, I am very sure the band was black and not any kind of red or purple.  So I am thinking this is not Holly.  ??? We really need help out here.  I did see them doing the "making babies" ritual after that and then she perched on west light of McK bldg and he perched on MTS tower.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2010, 20:12 by Rapidcitymbfan »

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #127 on: April 30, 2010, 00:06 »
Stopped for a quick look this afternoon, and saw 2 at home.  One on the corner and one on the box.  Seemed casual and homey.  Then I left.

Someone's a long way from home  :o

Offline Eye-spy

• Project
  • Chick
« Reply #126 on: April 29, 2010, 22:23 »
Stopped for a quick look this afternoon, and saw 2 at home.  One on the corner and one on the box.  Seemed casual and homey.  Then I left.

Offline RCF

• Old Bird
« Reply #125 on: April 29, 2010, 20:31 »
Today I watched our two falcons swooping and playing talon tag around the McKenzie building and the MTS tower. Its amazing how fast they were flying in and around the buildings  8) They were cacking and flying upside down, touching talons. Pretty Cool  ;D  I also tried to see females right leg. I saw what looks like red on her right leg but its kind of a grey day, not sunny at all and that probably didn't help, but she was perched where I could see finally.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #124 on: April 28, 2010, 18:32 »
Not sure you are going to have much luck with the weather RCF, or not if yours is going to be like ours here in the 'Peg. 

According to Environment Canada for Brandon:

Tonight A few showers ending late this evening then cloudy with 60 percent chance of showers. Risk of a thunderstorm late this evening and overnight. Wind southeast 40 km/h gusting to 60 becoming southwest 20 after midnight. Low 7.   

Thursday Cloudy. 60 percent chance of showers late in the morning and in the afternoon. Wind southwest 20 km/h becoming light early in the morning. High 14.   Thursday night Periods of rain. Wind northeast 20 km/h becoming northwest 20 after midnight. Low 8.   

Friday Showers. High 9.

Saturday Rain mixed with snow. Windy. Low zero. High plus 3.   

Sunday Cloudy with 40 percent chance of flurries or rain showers. Low minus 2. High 8.

Monday A mix of sun and cloud. Low plus 1. High 18.   

Tuesday A mix of sun and cloud. Low plus 4. High 19.

Offline RCF

• Old Bird
« Reply #123 on: April 28, 2010, 18:25 »
Very windy and rainy today, just saw birdies perched. I didn't stay to watch, maybe tommorrow it will be nicer.