Author Topic: McKenzie Seeds - 2010 / Brooklyn & Hurricane  (Read 129837 times)

Offline Rose

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
McKenzie Seeds - 2010 / May
« Reply #257 on: May 31, 2010, 18:37 »
TPC do you suppose two of the 4 eggs seen earlier were not hurricanes? I'm almost positive the other female had layed 2eggs before the nest got taken over by Brooklyn & Hurricane,would Hurricane still have incubated them as hers or would she have turfed them, do Perigrines do those kinds of things? ???

Offline RCF

• Old Bird
« Reply #256 on: May 31, 2010, 18:33 »
That's very sad to hear.  :'(  :'( Hopefully the two eggs that are left will hatch and the chicks will fledge successfully.

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #255 on: May 31, 2010, 18:07 »
Sorry to hear that TPC, seems to be happening or happened to a number of the nest sites we've watched this spring.  Lot of nests with only two and eggs either unhatched or pushed out.  Hopefully the last two are okay and will hatch with no problems.  Given the terrible weather, we should be thankful they are all safe and still around to even tend to eggs  :-\

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
« Reply #254 on: May 31, 2010, 17:59 »
Heard from Dan and Brooklyn and Hurricane are still incubating and expected hatch date is this week.  There are however, two eggs in the box now, not four.  We have no idea what could have happened but the site is not accessible to anything but the peregrines so chances are, the eggs weren't viable and the adults disposed of them.  Princess and Trey used to do that regularly, so the ability to spot non-viable eggs could be Hurricane's inheritance from her parents.

Offline Jo

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #253 on: May 31, 2010, 17:35 »
Wow - that was some storm!  :o Glad the birdies are safe and sound.

So nice to hear that Hurricane was enjoying some 'me time' in the sun today. :)

Offline Rose

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #252 on: May 31, 2010, 12:08 »
Just back from downtown,Hurricane was on east light so I assume Brooklyn was on the eggs,can't see any one in the nest box unless they are at the front or standing up.Hurricane spent a long time preening and fluffing her feathers in the sun. This is the first sun we've seen in about 4 days and now it's gone again.We had 4inches of rain over the week end,so our falcons would get some wet.I stayed til she flew off probably to find dinner. Since she looked so relaxed I assume everything in Brandon is ok. :)

Offline susha

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #251 on: May 30, 2010, 10:55 »
I second that "Holy Smokes" Kinderchick!  I'd heard that the power was out i some areas of Brandon, but had no idea the storm was so bad out there!  My heart and thoughts are with the folks and falcons out in Brandon! 

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #250 on: May 29, 2010, 14:38 »
We had a real nasty storm go through here this morning with power lines down, large trees down, fences blown over, boats and rvs tossed around and some large signs blown out.  Some have been saying it may have been a tornado. :o  Most of the damage was in west and north part of city.  I hope our falcons are okay.
Holy smokes, RCF, from the looks of the photos that you've posted, it sure does look like it could have been a tornado passing through, out there in Brandon! :o

Offline RCF

• Old Bird
« Reply #249 on: May 29, 2010, 13:08 »

I do have a call into Dan just to be sure ...
Thanks for the reassurance TPC  :)

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #248 on: May 29, 2010, 12:49 »
So far as I have heard, Brooklyn and Hurricane and their kids-to-be are okay.  They are smart cookies, they would have tucked down and waited out the storm - fortunately, there are a number of nooks and crannies around the McKenzie Seeds building where they could hunker down - and whoever was in the box (like Hurricane) would just lie flat on the eggs - she's small so she would have had even more protection from the wind in the box.

I do have a call into Dan just to be sure ...

Offline RCF

• Old Bird
« Reply #247 on: May 29, 2010, 12:26 »
We had a real nasty storm go through here this morning with power lines down, large trees down, fences blown over, boats and rvs tossed around and some large signs blown out.  Some have been saying it may have been a tornado. :o  Most of the damage was in west and north part of city.  I hope our falcons are okay.

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #246 on: May 29, 2010, 11:45 »
:-* for all the reports.
This is a busy time for those of us who have to observe from the ground.
Yes, I'm sure it is, bev! And I think it must be a very tiring time, too.  Thanks to all who post reports from "ground" observations! Much appreciated! :D

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #245 on: May 28, 2010, 22:14 »
 :-* for all the reports.

This is a busy time for those of us who have to observe from the ground.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2010, 23:29 by The Peregrine Chick »

Offline Rose

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #244 on: May 28, 2010, 13:08 »
Out and about this am,no rain since early this morning, stopped on parkade about 11am Hurricane on south light and then flew around to west light,she had her tail feathers all spread out over the light, I guess she was drying them out because if she did the shift during the thunder storm she would get decidedly wet (wind and rain from the northeast). We assume Brooklyn was on the eggs but couldn't see him(he tends to hunker down when he is on duty) Glad to hear Dan will be checking the nest at or near hatching time.                        
« Last Edit: May 28, 2010, 13:20 by Rose »

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #243 on: May 28, 2010, 10:17 »
Cold ,windy and rainy here this am,Brooklyn on edge of north east corner roof and Hurricane in nest box,quiet day after weekend winds. Question for TPC, the eggs should start hatching about June 4th or so? We won't be able to see them until they are big enough to stretch their heads above the nest edge but we should be able to see the parents in the box feeding them. :)

Yes you should - and Dan will be checking on the little darlings about hatch time to get some idea how they are doing.  So far all has been going well though!