Author Topic: McKenzie Seeds - 2010 / Brooklyn & Hurricane  (Read 129739 times)

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
McKenzie Seeds - 2010 / July
« Reply #557 on: July 16, 2010, 13:26 »
Thanks for the report Rose. Glad to hear she is doing well  :-*  And thanks for watching out for her  :D

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #556 on: July 16, 2010, 11:07 »
Glad to see she is getting lots of exercise.

Here when parents alarm call, the chicks freeze. they do not move.
I will check in here when I can. fingers crossed for all of us.

Offline Rose

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #555 on: July 16, 2010, 10:52 »
 got to parkade at 8:00am RCF was already there, couldn't see anybody in the nest box, but RCF yelled she's lying down and that made me feel better ;D Watched for a while and Kenzie decided to give us a display of her wingercises, she sure looks big when her wings are fully extended but she still droops them a lot. She didn't look like she was really too anxious to do any more than fly from the perch into the nest or jump up on the roof of the nest box(food up there). About 9:30 or so we were treated to a flying display by both Hurricane and Brooklyn to rival anything they did on banding day. Also lots of yelling.They seemed to be concentrating on the north side of the building, diving and yelling at something we couldn't see.We walked all over that area,even up on bridge but coudn't see anything or anybody any place but there were a lot of cars in MCk parking lot at the back so concluded some one had been on the roof of the annex.twenty mins later both parents settled down on the mts tower. The whole time this was going on little miss sat on the perch watching and never moved. ::) ;D

Offline Mother Hen

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #554 on: July 16, 2010, 10:31 »
I am sorry to hear the news about Mac....Mother Nature sometimes stinks.

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #553 on: July 16, 2010, 05:40 »
 :'(  I echo all that has been posted, rcf and Rose. There are never the appropriate words to express. Please know how saddened I am by this tragedy. The love and caring you showed Mac will never be forgotten. I hope for a successful fledge for Kenzie.

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #552 on: July 16, 2010, 04:57 »
Great shots of Kenzie!  I'm so glad you will both be there for her!  :-*

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #551 on: July 15, 2010, 23:35 »
OMG, rcf and Rose! I am in shock! :o I wasn't able to get on line yesterday here in Vancouver. And now that I am, this is so very sad! :'( And I just finished reading about Phoenix, the bald eagle's death. :'( I am so sad for you both of you.  :'( That was a very caring thing for you to do, retrieving his body and taking it to the conservation office. But I know that you would never have left him on the street. What a great love both you and Rose have for the Brandon peregrines! I wish that there were more people there to help you with fledge watch. My heart and prayers go out to both of you.

Offline susha

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #550 on: July 15, 2010, 21:12 »
I just read about your little guy, Rose and RCF and I'm so, so sorry.  We do get attached to these beautiful birds and even though we all know that these things happen in Nature, it's a very, very sad thing.  I'm with all the others who have expressed how wonderful it was that rcf was there to pick up the little fellow.  It would have been so much more tragic to have more cars running over him.

Beautiful pictures of the rest of the family, rcf.

Offline RCF

• Old Bird
« Reply #549 on: July 15, 2010, 20:55 »
We watched both Hurricane and Brooklyn stooping pigeons this evening, while our little miss was wingersizing on the perch bar.  The perch bar was bouncing up and down so fast we thought it was going to break off!!  :o   We could see that when she stopped flapping she was drooping her wings, so we don't think she is quite ready to fledge yet.  I just hope when she does fledge we will be there, just in case. :)

« Last Edit: July 15, 2010, 21:03 by Rapidcitymbfan »

Offline RCF

• Old Bird
« Reply #548 on: July 15, 2010, 12:58 »
I have a couple of pics from today.

Brooklyn (on left) and Hurricane perched at bottom of clock tower.

Offline RCF

• Old Bird
« Reply #547 on: July 15, 2010, 12:52 »
Rose said it perfectly, this is definitely a fine place to be........Thanks Mom  :-*

Offline bccs

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #546 on: July 15, 2010, 12:44 »
Well said Rose  :-*   and one for rcf   :-*

Offline Rose

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #545 on: July 15, 2010, 12:37 »
Thank you for all your kind and caring words. RCF and I really appreciate the fact that there are so many kind and caring folks on this forum and it makes it a fine place to be.It's RCF that deserves all the credit for the good deed yesterday, she was all alone and had the courage to do what was right.So as Carly said 'Fly free Mac' and to Kenzie I say 'Fly Free and safely' when it's your turn to go.

Offline eagle63_1999

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
    • My Photography
« Reply #544 on: July 15, 2010, 08:39 »
RCF such very sad news but be assured you did what no one else would do and that is tend to him after his life was gone. You handle it with dignity and respect and most people in this world don`t care to even do that. Thank-you for your courage, your care and love for Falcons.  My thoughts will be with you and Rose.  And as for his name I think you should stick with Mac.

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #543 on: July 15, 2010, 08:34 »

No, he hadn't been named yet, but Rose And I were calling him "Mac" and until the female gets named we are calling her "Kenzie".

Then we should just keep the name Mac.

I think now that he has passed on, he probably won't be named. I think that's how it works, not really sure.  :-\

Everyone deserves a name and Mac is a fine name so I vote we keep it.  You and Rose both looked after him so the honors should go to you both in his naming.  Fly Free Mac!